Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392704 times)

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #10020 on: November 08, 2016, 10:09:18 am »

A month ago, yes. And then they suddenly got really really close.

Hillary's still about 6% up. That's not very close.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: November 08, 2016, 10:13:45 am »

Well, in a range between 2% and 4% according to 538, but we shall see tonight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: November 08, 2016, 10:16:02 am »

Jeez that's sad, I thought she had more of the popular vote.  They're... probably mostly dedicated Republicans and people who hate Hillary.  I have to believe that.

538's only giving her 71% odds of winning.  That's a margin, but not comfortably large...  Maybe I've played too much DND, but I'd rather not roll a d20 that kills my character on 1-6.  Not without finding every possible advantage and alternative first.

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: November 08, 2016, 10:16:24 am »

Regardless, something more along the lines of a 10% at the end of the day would be a nice and solid "knock it off" to the GOP. US folks, if you're reading and haven't done it yet, get out and vote.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: November 08, 2016, 10:19:17 am »

Jeez that's sad, I thought she had more of the popular vote.  They're... probably mostly dedicated Republicans and people who hate Hillary.  I have to believe that.

538's only giving her 71% odds of winning.  That's a margin, but not comfortably large...  Maybe I've played too much DND, but I'd rather not roll a d20 that kills my character on 1-6.  Not without finding every possible advantage and alternative first.

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

I have a better one:

Quote from: Han Solo
NEVER tell me the odds!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: November 08, 2016, 10:38:38 am »

Mind you even if Hillary wins the popular vote, the electoral college can still elect Trump anyway.

Actually... if the Electoral College was DEAD SET against Hillary... How many seats would she have to earn in order to guarantee that she wins?

PFT and people forget that the USA is a Republic :P (Mind you a Republic that things and wishes to be a democracy)

Also what percent of a state would have to vote for Hillary in order to not be screwed over by district lines? (since apperantly 71% is not enough...)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:45:07 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: November 08, 2016, 10:44:43 am »

... 270. Same as anyone. That number's not going to change.

And yes, it's technically not impossible clinton wins the popular vote but loses the EC. Just rather staggeringly unlikely.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10027 on: November 08, 2016, 10:46:26 am »

"Vote tomorrow, Wisconsin!" --an ad I saw on a liberal-leaning site

What. The. Fuck.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: November 08, 2016, 10:47:29 am »

... 270. Same as anyone. That number's not going to change.

And yes, it's technically not impossible clinton wins the popular vote but loses the EC. Just rather staggeringly unlikely.

It is staggeringly unlikely because MOST members of the Electoral college do not vote against the popular vote (sort of... Ignoring Gerryrigging... Which has reached the state of being outright cheating... Seriously USA fix your district laws)

Since 20 states are basically allowed to vote for whoever they want regardless of the actual election results. (And... Oddly... Who they vote for has sometimes been odd... Including a few times the vote has been entirely wasted)

Hence why I said "Dead set" as in ALL the 20 people who are allowed to vote against the people decided to.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:49:07 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: November 08, 2016, 10:57:09 am »

... gerrymandering, neo. Gerryrigging is jury rigging misspelled, and something a bit different.

Any case, she'd still need 270 votes, it'd just have been 290 if it weren't for the faithless electors, assuming none of them were being faithless in her favor.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: November 08, 2016, 11:00:21 am »

The polling place was busy as hell for 10:30. I go at about the same time every year because it is usually empty at that time (all prework voters are gone, lunchtime voters aren't in yet, so usually it is just a handful of senior citizens), but not this year. There were a few mechanical problems with the printers on the machines, but nothing major.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: November 08, 2016, 11:01:24 am »

Sorry not 20 people (I mistaken believed, apperantly, that one person controls ALL the votes for their entire state)... The 20 states.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: November 08, 2016, 11:08:08 am »

... gerrymandering, neo. Gerryrigging is jury rigging misspelled, and something a bit different.

Any case, she'd still need 270 votes, it'd just have been 290 if it weren't for the faithless electors, assuming none of them were being faithless in her favor.

I think he meant the combination of gerrymandering and rigging via voter suppression.

And yeah, she'd just need 270, and theres very good chance that she'll have well above 270, enough for a few faithless electors in protest to not affect things.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: November 08, 2016, 11:09:26 am »

Sorry not 20 people (I mistaken believed, apperantly, that one person controls ALL the votes for their entire state)... The 20 states.
Ah. Hell if I know, then. I'm not on enough drugs to think there's enough of a chance that a majority (or more than two or three at most) of electors turn faithless in 20 states to be worth crunching the numbers for. Better question in a scenario like that is how many of them would end up lynched or shot by the next morning, really.
Ask not!
Ask!

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: November 08, 2016, 11:14:58 am »

3%.

Still really not close. That's a large margin for Hillary. Better to be safe and warm in the house than standing in a freezing cold line all night.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1249