Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391327 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9315 on: November 02, 2016, 11:37:26 am »

I read somewhere recently that she would have that authority, but it would be political suicide to do it.  I'm inclined to agree that it would be a bad idea, but bad ideas haven't stopped a whole lot from happening lately.
Pretty much. The flip side of that is, y'know. She still doesn't have anything to pardon herself for.

Her actually being a lawyer, I'd be surprised if she's considered something like that more than to discard it. Now, trump, on the other hand, man of a thousand and one lawsuits and steadily increasing publicly available evidence of apparent criminal action...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: November 02, 2016, 11:37:53 am »

The only way that Hillary could have anything to pardon is if she were tried and convicted of something. The only way for a President to be put on trial is for them to first be removed from office via impeachment, at which she would have no ability to pardon. Further, the President only has the ability to pardon Federal crimes.

Most importantly, there's not a single shred of evidence that she's done anything to be convicted for in the first place, and plenty of evidence that the Clintons have been the target of a decades long politically-motivated witch hunt.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: November 02, 2016, 11:45:16 am »

The only way that Hillary could have anything to pardon is if she were tried and convicted of something. The only way for a President to be put on trial is for them to first be removed from office via impeachment, at which she would have no ability to pardon. Further, the President only has the ability to pardon Federal crimes.

Most importantly, there's not a single shred of evidence that she's done anything to be convicted for in the first place, and plenty of evidence that the Clintons have been the target of a decades long politically-motivated witch hunt.

Actually, they didn't need to remove Bill Clinton from office for him to appear in court. Though that was civil court for prior alleged stuff.

And yeah, while she has made mistakes that only show her to be completely human, there's nothing that blatantly breaks the law. Stretching it a little in the case of the emails, sure, but not breaking it.

In comparison, Trump is blatantly breaking the law and bending it into a pretzel with his tax avoidance strategies. What he does is far shadier than the Clinton families politiking, which while it feels a bit seedy (to those who haven't been exposed to that usually hidden layer of politiking), actually isn't. And our friend Sergarr here said that the Clintons come off as almost saintly* compared to Russian politics.

*Well, 'almost saintly' may be a bit of an exaggeration, Sergarr did say that the Clintons would come off as 'very honest' politicians in Russian politics.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:47:52 am by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: November 02, 2016, 11:55:25 am »

This all (pre-Ninja!) ignores the fact that it actually seems that Trump has more to gain, self-pardoning-wise, from being elected. Or at least EOing the smoke from his apparent fires out of the oval-office windows.

He has made it so public that he would jail Hillary that I'm wondering if he's actually blusteting to cover up the fear that she would try the same with him if he loses.  (Keep an eye on where he hosts his election-night event, perhaps? Somewhere within spitting distance of a yacht or private jet, all the more ready to slip away overseas if deemed necessary?)

We're speaking of Hillary based upon Trump's narrative, here. Let me give you my own narrative, from here on the sidelines: So far, Hillary's past is far less murky than Trump's.  Her current campaign has been a bit more dirty than many might like, but Trump's personal grandstanding of attempted character assasination has overshadowed either campaign team's efforts. The future is unknown, for both, but there's one candidate who could possibly be able to deal with international relations and issues at home in at least a rational manner, and that aint Trump.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:59:06 am by Starver »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: November 02, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »

Heh. Yeah, that's pretty normal for politician newsletter stuff. I'm still technically subscribed to sanders', mostly because it's more effort to get rid of it than just filter it into obscurity :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: November 02, 2016, 12:49:19 pm »

It's because both platforms inevitably drift together towards the middle

Median voter theory and all that

I know this is a bit old now, but while the above is normally the case this election is, well, a little different. Sanders supporters pulled the Democratic platform to the left while Trump (and tea partiers) pulled the Republican platform to the right. The two platforms this election are really, starkly, different (at least, for the types of topics I focus on).

They're not exactly short, but please do take a look through their sections on the issues you care about:

https://www.demconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Democratic-Party-Platform-7.21.16-no-lines.pdf

https://prod-static-ngop-pbl.s3.amazonaws.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf (copy the full link, the address seems to confuse the forum)

Of course the presidential candidates aren't bound by the platforms, but they are a good indicator of who the larger parties are trying to appeal to, both inwardly and outwardly. Even if nobody actually reads the darn things, the parties seem to think and act like people do.

Heck, while you're at it take a look at Ryan's "Better Way" proposal (http://abetterway.speaker.gov/). Republicans are being pretty direct about the sorts of things they want to do, and the policy proposals in there would, among other things, go a long way in dismantling our current regulatory system (which I, at least, would rather not happen).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: November 02, 2016, 12:49:48 pm »

Though the mastery of tiberium based technology doesn't hurt.

I wonder if Kaine is even aware of the whole internet meme/joke connecting him to Kane of Tiberium.
That's nothing. Due to being a democratic senator from Virginia, Kaine is also D-VA. Nerf this!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: November 02, 2016, 01:09:33 pm »

I'm Irish! Hi, American cousins!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: November 02, 2016, 01:12:00 pm »

"Which world leader's are you most like?" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37833792
Not quite at the same level as the usual "Which muppet/game of thrones character/cheese are you?", but gives you a smattering of interesting facts along the way that may tweak your interest...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9324 on: November 02, 2016, 01:15:49 pm »

Isn't it "pique your interest"?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: November 02, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »

Isn't it "pique your interest"?
That as well...

*leans close and piques your nipples...*

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: November 02, 2016, 01:31:43 pm »

Oh god why.

Plsno.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9327 on: November 02, 2016, 01:34:10 pm »

No, "pique" only means to stimulate in the interest or curiosity sense. The other meaning of "pique" is to irritate. And I really don't know why you would want to irritate me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Without a local source of salt, the local residents have turned to creepiness as an alternative forum fuel.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: November 02, 2016, 01:35:41 pm »

"Which world leader's are you most like?" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37833792
Not quite at the same level as the usual "Which muppet/game of thrones character/cheese are you?", but gives you a smattering of interesting facts along the way that may tweak your interest...

Unable to complete: requested my birthday in an Unamerican manner.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: November 02, 2016, 01:36:20 pm »

Heh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1249