Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392991 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9105 on: October 31, 2016, 09:29:11 am »

It's entirely possible that they found some of the deleted emails, yeah. Though what the heck they're doing on Anthony Weiners laptop (which doesn't seem like the place you'd expect to find the Clinton emails), I have no idea.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: October 31, 2016, 09:32:24 am »

Your story is basically this : a guys with the highest references for his job screwed up completely at his job, and in a way he should have understood perfectly.
This is not a technical fuckup, or something that you can really mislead yourself over : you're telling me he steered right into a brick wall.

So my question is : why? Said like this it doesn't really makes sense! Does he have any reason to try and sacrifice his career to influence the election?
He really, really personally hates Hillary, so he would've been resigning under her Presidency, anyway. This way, however, he gains massive credit with the Republicans...

He's a Republican, and all his friends are Republicans, too, so it makes sense from his position to at least ensure that he would be able to talk with them without getting hate thrown his way for not trying to indict Clinton as hard as he could.
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: October 31, 2016, 09:34:14 am »

It's entirely possible that they found some of the deleted emails, yeah. Though what the heck they're doing on Anthony Weiners laptop (which doesn't seem like the place you'd expect to find the Clinton emails), I have no idea.

That mail server was an hack-job. A fuckup in that area wouldn't surprise me the slightest. Hell, whoever used that laptop may have synced the mailbox without noticing. Very easy to do with outlook, and very easy to overlook.

He really, really personally hates Hillary, so he would've been resigning under her Presidency, anyway. This way, however, he gains massive credit with the Republicans...

He's a Republican, and all his friends are Republicans, too, so it makes sense from his position to at least ensure that he would be able to talk with them without getting hate thrown his way for not trying to indict Clinton as hard as he could.

That would makes sense, but do you have sources on that?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: October 31, 2016, 09:36:17 am »

Yeah, if you look at his history, there's quite a bit of conflict of interest, including having worked on the commission that was looking into the Whitewater scandal.

Yeah, "he's an idiot" doesn't really work in this context. My hypothesis is that he gambled on a chance and lost, over the alternative of not gambling and losing anyway. A tragic figure, really.

He could have simply followed the protocol, whatever it is. Which is exactly what I would expect of an experienced, life-long bureaucrat.

More seriously, I have no idea, and it's more likely that he simply screwed up majorly under incredible amounts of pressure. As the quote goes 'Never assume malice where stupidity is to blame' (may not be the exact quote), Occams Razor basically.

Occams Razor doesn't work with history. If you don't believe me study WW1 and WW2 closely. Or any period of history, really. Or biology.

The main point of the quote I was trying to, well, quote, is to not automatically assume malice where stupidity or just plain screwing up is involved.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:43:20 am by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: October 31, 2016, 09:45:09 am »

That would makes sense, but do you have sources on that?
On what, him hating Clinton? Just read/listen to what he said about her when he announced the investigation results. It's not particularly neutral in its tone.

Other things? Hearsay, but we do know that he's been pretty staunchly Republican (up until the Republicans dumped him for "being a traitor" and not indicting Clinton), which was the main reason why Republicans were putting their hopes on him indicting her - they knew that, if there was anything on her, he'd be the one least likely to "accidentally" forget about it.

Side-note - that large burst of animosity towards Comey from Republicans, alongside with constant pressure that Republican Congress were putting on him, may have contributed a lot to the reason why he decided to sacrifice his career. It's probably quite a hellish experience to have all your friends suddenly turn on you and start calling you a piece of shit for just trying to do your work...
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: October 31, 2016, 09:50:32 am »

On what, him hating Clinton? Just read/listen to what he said about her when he announced the investigation results. It's not particularly neutral in its tone.

Other things? Hearsay, but we do know that he's been pretty staunchly Republican (up until the Republicans dumped him for "being a traitor" and not indicting Clinton), which was the main reason why Republicans were putting their hopes on him indicting her - they knew that, if there was anything on her, he'd be the one least likely to "accidentally" forget about it.

Side-note - that large burst of animosity towards Comey from Republicans, alongside with constant pressure that Republican Congress were putting on him, may have contributed a lot to the reason why he decided to sacrifice his career. It's probably quite a hellish experience to have all your friends suddenly turn on you and start calling you a piece of shit for just trying to do your work...

That would makes sense : peoples can screw up in big ways when their personal life get involved.

I still wonder, though, because now the two hypothesis seems just as likely to me.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: October 31, 2016, 09:55:55 am »

In other news besides comey being a shit, have another way in which trump is worse than clinton. Trump's projection apparently extends to emails and investigation obstruction, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: October 31, 2016, 10:07:05 am »

Is it too late to join the "refuse to accept the outcome of the election" train? I'm personally for a do-over no matter which one wins.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: October 31, 2016, 10:07:58 am »

You can always try second amendment remedies.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: October 31, 2016, 10:09:06 am »

In other news besides comey being a shit, have another way in which trump is worse than clinton. Trump's projection apparently extends to emails and investigation obstruction, too.

You should be able to see why this is basically whataboutism.

If Clinton get convinced of what she's being accused, she's going to be impeached.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: October 31, 2016, 10:12:12 am »

You should be able to see why this is basically whataboutism.

If Clinton get convinced of what she's being accused, she's going to be impeached.

That would take a congress willing to do that, and it's looking more and more like it'll be a dem friendly congress under Clinton.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: October 31, 2016, 10:20:54 am »

The Republican House majority will certainly be reduced though, so, it won't be quite as easy.

Is it too late to join the "refuse to accept the outcome of the election" train? I'm personally for a do-over no matter which one wins.

I too, would like a do-over where Clinton didn't run and we get to see what the Democrats truly have to offer. But that isn't going to happen.

It would also be nice if our first woman President (whether Clinton or not) wasn't so scandal filled and troubled
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:34:33 am by smjjames »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9117 on: October 31, 2016, 10:35:13 am »

Whataboutism doesn't apply. We are evaluating the relative badness of two competitors. If one lizard is bad, and one lizard is hellishly bad, you pick the former.

Of course Clinton might not actually be a lizard, but that's the best sell I can give her to her staunch haters: she's not that bad? :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:42:18 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: October 31, 2016, 10:43:30 am »

Like. The FBI has straight up said there's no legal case. The latest crap pretty much has nothing to do with clinton, save it being related to old staffers. Conviction's not really on the table, unless it's a kangaroo court of some sort.

Meanwhile, we have literal, straight up documented, examples of trump and his subordinates doing what people are only accusing clinton of, and in the face of repeated investigations that found nothing actionable. For folks that had problems with clinton's handling of the investigation related stuff, and supported trump because of it, well. Here you go. You're supporting someone that's done shit significantly more blatant, with significantly more evidence of it and a notably larger number of incidences.

I actually agree with Clinton on a lot of things, up until that revelation last night concerning her immigration policy. Goddamn that is one awful policy under the current system.
And you actually have decent reason to be a single issue... well, not voter, but whatever... I guess. Pretty sure it still wouldn't be enough to have reason to vote R for potus this election, but maybe third party or somethin'?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: October 31, 2016, 10:46:50 am »

It would also be nice if our first woman President (whether Clinton or not) wasn't so scandal filled and troubled
That isn't going to happen as long as Republicans continue to fuel the fires of polarisation. Anyone Democrats will nominate will have many, many scandals created against them by Republicans, be it woman or man.

Remember Obama? Perfectly clean record, and then... "secret Muslim", birtherism, stupid "FEMA death camps" rumors, basically calling him Satan... and that was in 2012, four years ago, before Trumpism aka "lie your face off on everything" became the new unofficial main ideology of Republican party.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1249