Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393103 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9075 on: October 31, 2016, 01:49:07 am »

How much of the $595 fee is actually spent towards funding the system? What is it spent on? I assume it isn't profit based because I hope we don't live in a world where immigration is handled as a profit driven business.

You live in a world/country where Prisons are handled as a profit-driven business.

In all fairness the US wouldn't have it any other way.

They fully endorse prisoner slavery, poor conditions, and violence between inmates as positives.

I personally find it sickening... But difference in opinion and all that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:50:41 am by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:25 am »

How much of the $595 fee is actually spent towards funding the system? What is it spent on? I assume it isn't profit based because I hope we don't live in a world where immigration is handled as a profit driven business.

You live in a world/country where Prisons are handled as a profit-driven business.
Not all of it. Only some. But government agencies and particularly enforcement agencies(not always law enforcement) certainly end up doing that. Funding has to come from somewhere, lads, and if the voters don't feel like paying taxes voluntarily, we'll have to collect them in fines.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: October 31, 2016, 01:55:05 am »

IMO the Prison aspect in the USA won't really change because the US is far far far too fixated on retributive justice and create a system that influences prisoners to reoffend and even to reoffend with far greater crimes then they were originally arrested for.

It will... never be fixed. At least not in our lifetime. Not for lack of trying mind you... But it is like rolling a boulder up a steep cliff where every time you take a break it just rolls back down again.

And by all means the USA isn't the worst... The more frustrating part for me is that I feel like the US COULD make that change (Heck they removed all their worst torture prisons a few years ago... US one, UK 0) and in fact is trying to make that change... but it always goes back to "But we are being too soft! Why are we letting prisoners earn their own money in prison?"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:00:04 am by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: October 31, 2016, 01:59:44 am »

IMO the Prison aspect in the USA won't really change because the US is far far far too fixated on retributive justice and create a system that influences prisoners to reoffend and even to reoffend with far greater crimes then they were originally arrested for.

It will... never be fixed. At least not in our lifetime.
That seems like outright pessimism to me. Our lifetime is a long one, or at least mine is likely to be. I've got a good six decades left in me according to current lifespans, and I suspect that's only going to get longer with time. You really think that's a proposition of 'never'? I certainly don't. Look how much society's changed in the last sixty years. Look at how mental health treatment has changed, if nothing else. Rather significant differences, I would say.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: October 31, 2016, 02:05:02 am »

Mental Health is simple astounding though VERY scary to think that it pretty much flipped to being "universally" competent like 10 years ago... for the most part.

Most people wouldn't know how terrible it was even in the 90s. (I say universal because even at its worst... there were genuinely good ones... Usually for rich people mind you)

But yeah I am pessimistic... It doesn't help that currently the US, from what my research tells me, is actually getting worse.

I doubt the US will reinstitute its torture prisons mind you.

Yet here is the difference. Mental Health was ignorance (Criminal and willful ignorance mind you)... Prisons are outright anti-criminal sentiments... If they showed a study that says that Prisoners get beaten up on average 5 days in the week and suffering injuries even permanent ones... The US's general consensus would be "Too good for them I say!"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:07:52 am by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:10 am »

Yet the (cost-)effectiveness of rehabilitation and prevention programs is causing them to spread, bit by bit. Incremental change is hard to spot, but it's there.

And t would be the consensus of some Americans, not America as a whole.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: October 31, 2016, 02:12:57 am »

And t would be the consensus of some Americans, not America as a whole.

I'd believe it would be most of them. (Been a while, isn't it like 60%?)

While the death penalty is something that is slowly creeping to be "Majority are against" (with the opposite happening in Canada... annoyingly enough)... The idea of what happens inside prisons are part of the punishment is a core American belief.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: October 31, 2016, 04:13:48 am »

FBI director James Comey could be facing criminal charges for breaking the "Hatch Act" law, which prohibits FBI officials from influencing politics.
Democratic fraction leader Harry Reid wrote him a letter of accusation and has called for an inquiry.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: October 31, 2016, 04:17:33 am »

He seems screwed either way

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: October 31, 2016, 07:36:13 am »

Look at that clip I linked, look at the tearful mother apologising to her daughter for giving her a vaccine that has triggered narcolepsy in her. It's very sad. But in my view it's far better that the girl's mother made that decision than the state.
I respectfully disagree. The mother who chose her daughter's fate for her, knowingly or not, will continue to blame herself for that decision in ways that a mother given no choice of rolling that oercentile dice for herself wouod not. Anger to the government/'experts'/whoever, perhaps, but not self-hate for even a similarly unforseeable outcome.

And givng everyone the choice will create far more people who chose to opt-out and then suffered the potentially much more common circumstances of catching the disease that could have been presented, also. A net decrease in well-being, if ever I saw one... Avoid that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: October 31, 2016, 07:55:07 am »

Haha, my newspaper's daily Sigmund cartoon (Sigmund, our beloved one-eyed sexually frustrated psychiatrist) had one about anti-vaxxers just 6 days ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the Sigmund cartoons. They're sharp, satirical and dark. The author makes them in english as well: http://www.sigmund.nl/?p=home_eng&l=eng
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:02:20 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: October 31, 2016, 08:31:38 am »

Their English webpage has an infinite loop...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:42 am »

FBI director James Comey could be facing criminal charges for breaking the "Hatch Act" law, which prohibits FBI officials from influencing politics.
Democratic fraction leader Harry Reid wrote him a letter of accusation and has called for an inquiry.

WTF did he find in these e-mails that prompted him to re-open the inquiry this way? He dropped the case, and he doesn't seems to be an idiot, so he must think that he has a pretty good reason to do that.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: October 31, 2016, 08:36:46 am »

Their English webpage has an infinite loop...
You mean that it only has about 20 cartoons and then clicking next will bring you back to the 1st one?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: October 31, 2016, 08:37:23 am »

If I recall correctly, can't remember where I read this, but wasn't it something like 3 emails which they already had before or something?

And then he took LSD, downed a bottle of scotch and got to work! Sure!

But without this last part your sentence doesn't makes a lick of sense.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1249