Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394222 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8925 on: October 28, 2016, 02:37:38 pm »

The FBI is shady? That's news to me.[/sarcasm]

Maybe it's just the heavy cloud of politicization that is confusing things.

CNN's article says that the emails were found on a device which they didn't have before, are not related to Wikileaks or the foundation, and (rumoredly? CNN is the only one saying it AFAIK) it may have something to do with the Anthony Wiener investigation. Who the device belongs to, it isn't said, other than that it wasn't Clinton's.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: October 28, 2016, 02:44:30 pm »

I still gotta give Wiener props for that "come on John, my name isn't pronounced 'way-ner' is it?" bit.
So when someones friend of a friend thought they might have seen Trump feeling up a girl in a crowded night club, no proof is needed, he's clearly guilty.
You mean this: http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/politics/kristin-anderson-donald-trump/index.html accusation?

Quote from: That Article
"I was sitting on the couch with my girlfriends," Kristin Anderson told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "It was at a club ... Next thing I know, there is a hand up my skirt. I basically just pushed the hand away, turned and looked, got up off the couch and we all moved."

"I recognized the eyebrows right away and I turned to my girlfriends and I was like 'look at this dude,' and they are like, 'That's Donald Trump,' and I was like, 'Oh yeah, that's Donald Trump, the eyebrows," she continued.
I mean, I can see if you heard it second hand from someone else that it might end up sounding like you put it, but now perhaps you can see why you were mistaken in your understanding of this accusation?

Unless it was a different night club groping, I couldn't find one when I went to check, but I tried to narrow down the search results so I only got stories about that time Trump went a-gropin' instead of all the other times.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: October 28, 2016, 02:50:44 pm »

May sound silly of me to say but the FBI has no fear from either presidential candidate even if they made it their life's goal to hurt the FBI.

Sure... not to the extent as say... the CIA (which is a mess... and another subject) but still...

What can they do? They can't disband the FBI, they cannot fire their staff (they can only change heads), and they cannot change the laws that affect how they operate.
*cough*funding*cough*

Obviously, the President doesn't directly control agency funding, but it's a relatively safe assumption that a victorious Clinton will have a Democratic Senate to work with, while a victorious Trump would have a Republican Senate to work with.
Though the optics of getting your Congressional allies to slash the FBI's budget at the same time (or shortly after) they've been investigating you makes it a pretty bad idea, politically.

Shit the GOP has been using funding (or lack thereof) for years to punish the BATF.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: October 28, 2016, 02:53:12 pm »

It is more then looking bad...

How are they going to justify it period?

They would actually have to do the CRAZY thing and go through official channels (rather then Political bastardry) to do it... Which the FBI is pretty immune to all things considered.

I've seen the worst political bastardry can do... you want to target less... visable things.

I already seen the Ontario government shut down a VERY successful criminal rehabilitation program that actually saves money by existing... because no one really knows it exists... and simply said it costs too much money.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:55:20 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: October 28, 2016, 02:59:33 pm »

Actually, it's still possible for Trump to end up with a Democrat Senate and Hillary with a Republican Senate.

Also, part of the FBI's job is to watch out for terrorists, slashing their funding would hurt that.

Anyway, The Guardian liveblog says that it is from the Anthony Weiner case and the device is likely Huma Abdedin's, but could be Weiner's or maybe the 15 year old girl.

Also, NYT article in that blogpost. Can't read it myself due to stupid paywall.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: October 28, 2016, 03:31:28 pm »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: October 28, 2016, 03:42:09 pm »

So uh... nevermind about the "re-opening investigation" thing: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/us/politics/fbi-hillary-clinton-email.html

Looks like everyone is pissed at Comey: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/ex-doj-spokesman-blast-james-comey-230459

How do I block the paywall that NYT is throwing? Without making a subscription obviously.

The investigation is still reopened, AFAIK. Also, I saw somewhere (forget where) that Comey wanted to release the info or risk being accused of hiding things. Guy must be facing a hell of a lot of pressure.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8932 on: October 28, 2016, 03:45:56 pm »

I already seen the Ontario government shut down a VERY successful criminal rehabilitation program that actually saves money by existing... because no one really knows it exists... and simply said it costs too much money.

Wait, hwat? It saved money by existing, so it was shut down for costing too much money?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: October 28, 2016, 03:49:07 pm »

Wait, hwat? It saved money by existing, so it was shut down for costing too much money?

Are you going to look it up? No? Well then their claim is as good as true.

A lot of what politicians do is doing stuff that LOOKS correct but requires the least amount of work.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: October 28, 2016, 04:03:04 pm »

I have blossomed into democracy and voted early. No Trump University Death Squads in sight.

Here's hoping I'll awake November 9th to the sight of Roy Cooper extending his proboscis and sucking the spark of godhood out of Pat McCory, that he may become the symbol of Oroborus and vanish into his own self-realized destroyer.

As for the Presidential election....I do this for Bay 12, for America...and yes, even for you, maniac. Damn it all.

At least RK saved me from having to vote straight ticket despite not being affiliated.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: October 28, 2016, 04:21:25 pm »

So uh... nevermind about the "re-opening investigation" thing: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/us/politics/fbi-hillary-clinton-email.html

Looks like everyone is pissed at Comey: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/ex-doj-spokesman-blast-james-comey-230459

How do I block the paywall that NYT is throwing? Without making a subscription obviously.

The investigation is still reopened, AFAIK. Also, I saw somewhere (forget where) that Comey wanted to release the info or risk being accused of hiding things. Guy must be facing a hell of a lot of pressure.
Huh, the mobile one didn't give me the paywall, it's why I linked it.

This is apparently the letter Comey sent: http://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000158-0c4a-d236-ad5d-de7ef3ed0001

This covers what all has been taking place pretty well I think: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/fbi-reopens-clinton-email-server-investigation-230454

The actual letter he sent:
Quote from: James Comey
In previous congressional testimony, l referred to the fact that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had completed its investigation of former Secretary Clinton's personal email server. Due to recent developments, I am writing to supplement my previous testimony.

In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation. I am writing to inform you that the investigative team briefed me on this yesterday, and I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation.
Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant, and I cannot predict how long it will take us to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.

That's a "heads up, we're going to be looking at this" not a "hey guess what, we got juicy deets on Clinton!" which was turned into "hey guess what, they're going to be reopening the investigation on Clinton" by Chaffetz, which the various media sites ran with.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: October 28, 2016, 04:29:12 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. Investigation's not being reopened, media being media, comey possibly significantly violating FBI procedure, same old song and dance.

Oh, fun. Can't be arsed to link to Twitter but apparently updated information said there's been three emails of note found on the device in question... none of which had been withheld by clinton during the actual investigation. Entertainment news, ladies and gents.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:38:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: October 28, 2016, 04:37:27 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. Investigation's not being reopened, media being media, comey possibly significantly violating FBI procedure, same old song and dance.

It's not being reopened because it was never officially closed I believe, and the media went and misunderstood I guess, or media being media.

In non-Clinton-Email stuff, Biden says 'thanks, but no thanks' to a Clinton admin position.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: October 28, 2016, 04:45:55 pm »

I have blossomed into democracy and voted early. No Trump University Death Squads in sight.
Needs to be something like Trump University Roving Death Squads for full acronymic fun, methinks.

ETA: In his famous talking-about-self-as-third-party style (an indication, in my mind that he smokes his own brand too much) Trump suggests no need to hold election., in one of his obvious ad-lib off-script 'jests' to supporters. (Seems to please his own crowds, but imagine him wandering off and saying something of such import at a G20 negotiation..? I can only imagine he can behave himself, hence his various rebuilt business empires, but one wonders if this is part of the reason he's had to rebuild them..)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:57:07 pm by Starver »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: October 28, 2016, 04:47:52 pm »

#JustYellowJournalismThings

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1249