Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395070 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8805 on: October 27, 2016, 03:41:45 pm »

I'm torn. I don't want to side with Gawker or any of their ilk, and I hate losing pets... but Pence is such a hateful douche.

Can you think something is in poor taste but remain unsympathetic?

I've gone over it on my own and in my opinion there are pros and cons to both Clinton or Trump winning. At this point, however, I don't even really care which one wins between the two of them because it evens out. They'll both do horrible things. They'll both do some good things. In the end the US will be worse off either way and in 4 years maybe we can just go from there picking up pieces.
Can you name one good thing Trump will do?
Pence is shite, but that was still uncalled for.
Now, if the dog had died of AIDS maybe....

EDIT: If Trump curtailed abuse of the H-2B visa program (as he called for at one point), that would be a good thing. I don't have any expectation that he'd actually make good on that though.

Trump has called for term limits on Congress, which I haven't heard of from Clinton, whether or not he'll actually do them is another matter alltogether. It's one of the (very) few good things that he has going for him.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: October 27, 2016, 03:43:17 pm »

good idea or not, good luck getting congress to pass congressional term limits

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: October 27, 2016, 03:43:44 pm »

The President can't affect term limits, even through law. That requires a Constitutional amendment, full-stop. At best, the President is just another (very well-connected) fucker who approves or disapproves of an amendment but does not have any involvement in the process.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: October 27, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »

Yeah, that's why I specified "do" rather than "jabber and fart words into the ether" as he usually does.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: October 27, 2016, 03:47:45 pm »

The President can't affect term limits, even through law. That requires a Constitutional amendment, full-stop. At best, the President is just another (very well-connected) fucker who approves or disapproves of an amendment but does not have any involvement in the process.

Oh yeah, you're right on the constitutional amendment thing. I guess Trump doesn't realize that because he is totally misleading his voters by saying that. Looking at Wikipedia, term limits on Parliament/Congressmembers (or equivalent) don't look all that common around the world anyhow.

But yeah, I have no idea what sort of good (and sane) thing he'd do, and 99% of what he says is "jabber and fart words into the ether" anyway.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:49:49 pm by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: October 27, 2016, 03:49:50 pm »

I want to like Stein, but....she's not as pure as she portrays herself. And she's distinctly unlikeable.

Johnson is way more likeable, but dear god his lack of foreign policy clues is a non-starter. Plus I'm not really an economic Libertarian.

I'd have a hard time holding mutual fund investments against someone, you don't exactly go through and pick those yourself, I'm probably invested in some shady stuff as I've got a bit of cash in a fund too, but I have absolutely no idea where that actually is, I just put it in a low risk fund. But I agree, she's not really all that likable.

At least Johnson admits his lack of knowledge and is willing to ask for the info he needs to know in order to give an answer. That to me puts him head and shoulders above Trump at least. But really... HAVE YOU SEEN ALEPPO?! Have you seen it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poor taste either way. I don't like pence, but that's not what you should be rubbing his nose in.

I've gone over it on my own and in my opinion there are pros and cons to both Clinton or Trump winning. At this point, however, I don't even really care which one wins between the two of them because it evens out. They'll both do horrible things. They'll both do some good things. In the end the US will be worse off either way and in 4 years maybe we can just go from there picking up pieces.

Can I name one thing any of them will do for certain? Hell no. But hopefully he'd tear apart the republicans from the inside out. He was also talking about a nice big jobs program on the southern border for a while. And I think there's enough of a potential shakeup there to get people to really re-evaluate some long standing policies this country has taken for granted for too long. And his tax plan, while far from ideal, does take a major step in the direction of seriously reforming the system and making it simpler and easier to understand with fewer loopholes... Although it's hard to really think he'd get anywhere pushing it since the president has no control over taxes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: October 27, 2016, 03:50:25 pm »

Congressional term limits would be way too dangerous anyway. Despite what LCS depicts, it is not a path towards getting rid of ancient immortal archconservative legislators. There will always be more fuckers to fuck it up, even if the individual fuckers change.

What it would result in, however, is every member of Congress becoming eminently vulnerable to corrupt lobbying. They don't have the experience to resist or a future career to care about, so they'd be all over selling us piece by piece to transnational corporations.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: October 27, 2016, 03:52:19 pm »

EDIT: If Trump curtailed abuse of the H-2B visa program (as he called for at one point), that would be a good thing. I don't have any expectation that he'd actually make good on that though.
He also kinda' reversed on that stance back during the March 3rd debate, so, uh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8813 on: October 27, 2016, 03:54:37 pm »

Oh yeah, you're right on the constitutional amendment thing. I guess Trump doesn't realize that because he is totally misleading his voters by saying that. Looking at Wikipedia, term limits on Parliament/Congressmembers (or equivalent) don't look all that common around the world anyhow.

But yeah, I have no idea what sort of good (and sane) thing he'd do, and 99% of what he says is "jabber and fart words into the ether" anyway.

That's what every presidential candidate does. Sanders can't make college free.

Err, not the "fart into aether", the "mislead." Sanders didn't fart the aether AFAIK.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: October 27, 2016, 03:55:50 pm »

I want to like Stein, but....she's not as pure as she portrays herself. And she's distinctly unlikeable.

Johnson is way more likeable, but dear god his lack of foreign policy clues is a non-starter. Plus I'm not really an economic Libertarian.

I'd have a hard time holding mutual fund investments against someone, you don't exactly go through and pick those yourself, I'm probably invested in some shady stuff as I've got a bit of cash in a fund too, but I have absolutely no idea where that actually is, I just put it in a low risk fund. But I agree, she's not really all that likable.
Absolutely. But there are plenty of mutual funds available now that specifically cater to people looking to put their money in "clean" investments. Social Justice funds and the like. For someone concerned with moral authority, I would expect her to literally put her money where her mouth is.

At least Johnson admits his lack of knowledge and is willing to ask for the info he needs to know in order to give an answer. That to me puts him head and shoulders above Trump at least. But really... HAVE YOU SEEN ALEPPO?! Have you seen it?
"I've seen Aleppo. And you, sir, are no Aleppo."

He also kinda' reversed on that stance back during the March 3rd debate, so, uh.
Really? Damn. Oh well, 'nother nail.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: October 27, 2016, 04:01:35 pm »

"big jobs program on the southern border", that's a nice euphenism for Trump's wall.

Congressional term limits would be way too dangerous anyway. Despite what LCS depicts, it is not a path towards getting rid of ancient immortal archconservative legislators. There will always be more fuckers to fuck it up, even if the individual fuckers change.

What it would result in, however, is every member of Congress becoming eminently vulnerable to corrupt lobbying. They don't have the experience to resist or a future career to care about, so they'd be all over selling us piece by piece to transnational corporations.

Yeah, it'd be hard to make it work so that it doesn't screw things over, and there are better (and far easier) ways to reduce the possibility of congresspeople holding onto a seat due to gerrymandering or other things. Plus I've seen arguments that it would have a brain-drain type of effect, removing congressmembers who are actually good at what they are doing or are actively pushing for something.

The only reason why we put term limits on the president is because two terms max per president had been a thing for so long that it had become tradition (there were some who tried to do a third run though, but those were like later, not while they were still incumbent), then FDR went and broke that tradition and died barely into his fourth term. After that, people were like, 'lets not do this again.' Probably a bit of an oversimplification, but yeah, two terms had become the norm by FDR, even if it wasn't encoded in law.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:03:35 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: October 27, 2016, 04:04:27 pm »

That's what every presidential candidate does. Sanders can't make college free.

Err, not the "fart into aether", the "mislead." Sanders didn't fart the aether AFAIK.
You're misrepresenting the issue. The President has a critical role in both legislation and executive action to base their promises and platforms in. Proposing changes that require alteration to the US Constitution without mentioning that little fact, is inherently different and essentially a lie.

Sanders could, if he wanted to piss Congress off, pass an executive action derailing student debt even if they did not cooperate with a law on the matter. Trump can't pass an executive action imposing term limits on Congress.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: October 27, 2016, 04:05:05 pm »

Really? Damn. Oh well, 'nother nail.
Hell, the guy is a lying motherfucker. Maybe the statement during that debate was another lie. Or the stance against the visas (personally consider that more likely given how cheerfully his business has made use of them, but eh) was. From a certain point of view you can't really be certain of anything the piece of shit says. Probably better to judge on previous action, which somehow tends to paint an even worse picture than what he actually says.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: October 27, 2016, 04:05:16 pm »

Trump occasionally spouts off stuff that is actually decent. Problem is, I have zero faith in him actually having any intention of delivering any of it. Especially since he changes his stance on stuff pretty often.

The only things I trust Trump to actually do were he President is stuff that either directly benefits his businesses or lines up with things he's talked about for decades. So a lot of his foreign policy stuff and trade protectionism I can see him doing. He's been pretty consistent on a good chunk of that over the years.

Of course, I don't agree with any of the stuff I think he's likely to do, so it just makes me even less inclined to vote for him.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: October 27, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »

HAVE YOU SEEN ALEPPO?! Have you seen it?
*headsplosion*

Can I name one thing any of them will do for certain? Hell no. But hopefully he'd tear apart the republicans from the inside out. He was also talking about a nice big jobs program on the southern border for a while. And I think there's enough of a potential shakeup there to get people to really re-evaluate some long standing policies this country has taken for granted for too long. And his tax plan, while far from ideal, does take a major step in the direction of seriously reforming the system and making it simpler and easier to understand with fewer loopholes... Although it's hard to really think he'd get anywhere pushing it since the president has no control over taxes.
He can tear apart the republicans without winning, he could make jobs already but his track record suggests he's not inclined to pay the people working for them, and his tax plan is kinda like the Reagan one on drugs.

Assuming there is a way to get around the Party of Nope holding the country hostage, Hillary can try to put in a justice who can vote against CU once it's brought up again, and vote against things like trying to roll back [INSERT RIGHTS ACT HERE] if they get brought before the court.
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 1249