Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395080 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8775 on: October 27, 2016, 02:14:49 pm »

I'm sad that he's gone, but you could kinda see that one coming. Guy just got too invested in things and too short of a fuse, I guess.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: October 27, 2016, 02:16:42 pm »

I must have missed something big, because all I saw was him being kinda silly??  Like "Oh sure I voted for Sanders... for city council!"
Like really, he'd been so much chiller recently...  I guess maybe he boiled over?

Just... fuck!  This sucks!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: October 27, 2016, 02:16:58 pm »

Can't send PMs, so I guess I'll say here, it's been a pleasure.

o7

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: October 27, 2016, 02:21:17 pm »

End of an era I suppose.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: October 27, 2016, 02:23:16 pm »

I know it's in poor taste, and I'm sorry, but he was acting like a maniac.

I'll just go back to reading my comics now.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: October 27, 2016, 02:23:34 pm »

I don't actually recall enough of maniac's now obliterated post to know what the tipping point was, but I trust that Toady acted well enough. It's a hot topic, and I only hope that the fuss, and especially my honest contribution to it, isn't distracting everybody's primary amphibian too far from doing things he'd rather be doing...

(4 new messages.. Another one... )

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: October 27, 2016, 02:29:17 pm »

Likely that all this time no one really reported him but someone finally did and, given past history, that's all it took.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: October 27, 2016, 02:30:07 pm »

I think the idea that not voting doesn't matter is short sighted. USA has extremely low voter turnout. This fact in itself shapes the choices you're given. So, of course it looks like your choices suck: they're tailored to the people who get out and vote.

It's not much different to any other product: "I don't like ice cream, so I never buy it. Why don't they just make an ice cream that I do like? What's up with that?" The solution of course is to make new flavors of ice cream: some people can eat chocolate, some people can eat vanilla. But you can't do that with elections: basically you're voting that we're all going to eat vanilla or we're all going to eat chocolate. And who are they going to listen to when deciding which single flavor is going to be given to everyone? People who eat ice cream (voters) or people who don't (non-voters).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: October 27, 2016, 02:30:40 pm »

Getting back to the topic at hand, Ted Cruz is hinting that he wants to see a long Senate standoff with President Clinton (I think it's getting increasingly safe to call her that) over filling the SCOTUS vacancy.

All the more reason to vote Democrat for Senate -- if the Democrats retake the Senate, they control the chairs of the committees, and the Judiciary Committee can move Garland (or whoever else gets put forward) into the general Senate for an up/down vote. They'd still need 60 votes, but I think they can find 10-15 Republicans who know this is a losing issue for them, and would defect. Might be a tougher sell with future Justices if another one of the justices dies or retires and is slated to be replaced by a Clinton appointee (who will be tarred as a flaming liberal regardless of their judicial history).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: October 27, 2016, 02:33:19 pm »

I think the idea that not voting doesn't matter is short sighted. USA has extremely low voter turnout. This fact in itself shapes the choices you're given. So, of course it looks like your choices suck: they're tailored to the people who get out and vote.

It's not much different to any other product: "I don't like ice cream, so I never buy it. Why don't they just make an ice cream that I do like? What's up with that?" The solution of course is to make new flavors of ice cream: some people can eat chocolate, some people can eat vanilla. But you can't do that with elections: basically you're voting that we're all going to eat vanilla or we're all going to eat chocolate. And who are they going to listen to when deciding which single flavor is going to be given to everyone? People who eat ice cream (voters) or people who don't (non-voters).
But what if you really want strawberry, and you're told "Shut up, sit down. That's not on the menu. Vanilla or chocolate or GTFO."
Which is kinda the third-party situation. So it's not surprising that after a while, those people would just stop eating ice cream. It's a cycle, not a linear process.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: October 27, 2016, 02:34:51 pm »

More like if the guy making Strawberry is also a lunatic.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8786 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:30 pm »

nenjin edit that out right now

do you want to get banned?

=====

on a more serious note:

Nenjin, there are plenty of sane third-partiers, politicians and voters alike.

Edit: Filthy nenjas ninjas.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:38:53 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: October 27, 2016, 02:37:12 pm »

More like if the guy making Strawberry is also a lunatic.
Sometimes. Not always.

Part of the problem may be that for people who have long gotten used to the vanilla/chocolate paradigm, the sheer existence of other flavors seems lunatic.
It'd be like if you asked someone if they preferred daytime or nightime, and they answered "flarntime".

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8788 on: October 27, 2016, 02:40:08 pm »

nenjin edit that out right now

do you want to get banned?
Dude, you're being ridiculous. And rather aggravating, but mostly ridiculous. Bans happen; doesn't mean that every single negative word on the forums is criterion for a ban.

Look, mainiac got banned because he called a third-partier an idiot. Idiot and lunatic mean about the same thing.

Except... Armokdamn it, I forgot context and history. Never mind.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: October 27, 2016, 02:41:32 pm »

I'm not worried.

And my comment stems from the current crop of 3rd party front runners. Both of them have demonstrated they're off in their own worlds as far as the average American body politic is concerned.
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 1249