Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391072 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8100 on: October 21, 2016, 02:24:07 pm »

But isn't the ridgidry the worst aspect of the right and the growing problem with the left?

With the right being so insular, the Democrats don't have to be so competitive either. Both can then retreat into their "corner" more than before. The Democrats are staking the center out much more than the Republicans, so this is far more the Republicans fault than Democrats.

Although the whole worldview is particularly distorted in the USA because the right constantly pushes this idea that Rich Bankers / Wall Street / corporate influence etc is a left-wing/liberal thing. When it's clearly not - big private money influence couldn't be further from ANY type of left-wing viewpoint if you tried.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:30:04 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: October 21, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »

It's far from ideal, but remember here that Clinton is very unpopular if not widely hated.

So Ted Cruz, the only man more hated in America then Donald Trump is going to make this a likeability race?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: October 21, 2016, 02:33:00 pm »

Let's not trick ourselves here. In a regular race this would be a tight campaign no matter what. The economy is good but not strong, foreign policy has had successes but still worries Americans, and the Incumbent is popular but divisive. The fundamentals, as Nate Platinum has said, strongly point to a tight race.

And I heard many saying during the Cruz/Trump/Kasich deathmatch that Ted Cruz was more hated by the Republican Establishment then Trump. Ted Cruz was not a winner until Trump built up a base that Ted Cruz could leech off of. Cruz's plan was to ride Trump's coattails until Trump self-destructed, then sweep in and take his supporters. It failed because Trump never self-destructed, but if Trump was never there in the first place, well that it would depend on Cruz managing to build it up in the first place. And people loathed Ted Cruz. The establishment loathed him. They didn't forgive him for the shutdown. He'd be painted as a megalomaniacal politician masquerading as a principled right-wing crazy. And MSH, you've forgotten that the shutdown was very unpopular, it just wasn't in an election year. Bringing the guy responsible for it would have hurt as Americans would have had an opportunity to remind themselves.

Plus, after all, Trump deserves some of the credit for the Hillary hate. Not all, by any means, or even most, but if Ted Cruz was the Republican Nominee then Wikileaks would never have happened, the hackings would never have happened, emails would never have happened, Trump bringing up everything from Bill Clinton to founding ISIS, and then a lot of stories play out differently. Counter-factuals are, by definition, hard to figure out, and claiming that its obvious what would have happened does the truth no justice. People forget what it's like to oppose regular Republicans just because they aren't Trump. Trump has polarized and lowered the bar so far that people don't believe anything. Who knows what gaffes Ted Cruz or Hillary makes in that timeline, or what zingers get off, or all sorts of things.

Plus, let's not overstate Ted Cruz's brilliance here. He refused to endorse Trump on the convention floor, then endorsed him a week before Pussy-gate. He definitely could have played this more intelligently then he did.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: October 21, 2016, 02:34:00 pm »

It's far from ideal, but remember here that Clinton is very unpopular if not widely hated.

So Ted Cruz, the only man more hated in America then Donald Trump is going to make this a likeability race?
Yeah. He's got that whole synergistic Ted Bundy, get in my car suaveness. Lots of late-40s life-crisis entering folk would try to get a piece of that and then lose a piece from the flesh. A man doesn't get to the kind of lifestyle Cruz has without learning how to talk, to people and to shells.

He's got the means, the method, and the lack of being Donald Trump necessary to turn it all around if he hadn't been such a fucking cuck during the primary. But what can you do other than savor the waiting, the anticipation of falling leaves.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: October 21, 2016, 02:37:57 pm »

Maybe the Republicans will double down on the crazy... again after this election.  Then we will see Charlie Sheen running for president in 4 years.
ftfy.....WINNING

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8105 on: October 21, 2016, 02:43:43 pm »

Maybe the Republicans will double down on the crazy... again after this election.  Then we will see Charlie Sheen running for president in 4 years.
ftfy.....WINNING
Charlie Sheen vs Kanye West for President

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: October 21, 2016, 02:48:25 pm »

My grammar checker just got annoyed with me for repeating Trump's claim that Hillary Clinton founded ISIS, suggesting "funding" instead and commenting "Founding doesn't seem to make sense in this context". You and me both, Grammarly.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8107 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:13 pm »

We need a sense checker installed in Trump pronto! How did we miss this in the beta testing?!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: October 21, 2016, 02:52:32 pm »

Note that I was talking about Kasich in the scenario where Trump and Cruz destroyed each other, then Kasich is standing there looking slightly less confused and the republicans go "Eh, better than Hillary" basically, but cede the center to the democrats and you're fucked long term.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: October 21, 2016, 02:53:15 pm »

We need a sense checker installed in Trump pronto! How did we miss this in the beta testing?!

Trump doesn't mean that she literally founded Isis... (Ok... so he said she literally founded ISIS...)

But rather that she created the environment that allowed it to come to fruition. It was she who sold the weapons they used, provided the training they use, and was ineffectual at preventing or weeding them out.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: October 21, 2016, 02:58:16 pm »

Kasich is also one of the most honest politicians on Politico, from Mainiac's graph. His mostly true and true is nearly identical to Clinton, in fact.

I would probably be okay with him if he'd run. Not sure if I would've voted for him, but I wouldn't have been all that upset about it if he won.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8111 on: October 21, 2016, 03:00:10 pm »

Trump doesn't mean that she literally founded Isis... (Ok... so he said she literally founded ISIS...)
Any attempt to support Trump in any way, even clearing away misconceptions for the sake of truthiness than for any sort of sympathies, will be fucked over by the man himself.
But rather that she created the environment that allowed it to come to fruition.
Yes, damn her. She had this omnipotence, she was the literal government, she could have done anything! And yet all she did was help some children and fuck up with emails.
It was she who sold the weapons they used
Here, terrorists, here's some guns for you. Just let me toss them across the room. Really?
provided the training they use
And this is how you blow yourself up...
and was ineffectual at preventing or weeding them out.
That's a positive responsibility. It could just be that ISIS is a really hard thing to eliminate.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: October 21, 2016, 03:02:12 pm »

Any attempt to support Trump in any way, even clearing away misconceptions for the sake of truthiness than for any sort of sympathies, will be fucked over by the man himself

Yeah that is a hilarious aspect of Trump.

HECK he will even go "Well obviously it was a joke I wasn't being serious. Mind you I 100% meant what I said. It was a joke"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: October 21, 2016, 03:03:44 pm »

Kasich is also one of the most honest politicians on Politico, from Mainiac's graph. His mostly true and true is nearly identical to Clinton, in fact.

I would probably be okay with him if he'd run. Not sure if I would've voted for him, but I wouldn't have been all that upset about it if he won.

I think a Kasich nomination would have moved the america doomsday clock back several minutes at least.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: October 21, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »

Kasich is fucking scum. Even by standards of corporate puppets, he's a beyond the pale hollowed-out sock. I honestly would rather vote for Trump, or any other Republican from the primary. He projects this image of being this reasonable moderate, but in reality he steps on the neck of the average person more than any of them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 1249