Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391858 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7635 on: October 18, 2016, 04:27:13 pm »

theres so much romanticization of being thoroughly principled and being unwilling to compromise

ive never understood it

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: October 18, 2016, 05:04:06 pm »

theres so much romanticization of being thoroughly principled and being unwilling to compromise

ive never understood it

No idea where it arose from either though.....

Anyway, looks like the project veritas video thing is gaining some tiny amount of traction because the New York Post picked it up and Trump tweeted about it. The New York Post is a tabloid paper, for those that don't know.

Looks like a good deal of RNC people are swimming in Trump'skoolaid. I know there's always some people complaining and blowing off steam after Election day, but I don't remember it being this widespread, I don't think.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/donald-trump-rigged-vote-twitter-2012/index.html Didn't know he pulled the same kind of rhetoric in 2012, so, it's entirely possible that he will concede, but then again, he is the party nominee and so, there's a hell of a lot more people listening and probably willing to actually act on it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: October 18, 2016, 06:02:17 pm »

you have got to be kidding me.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/17/498328520/sen-mccain-says-republicans-will-block-all-court-nominations-if-clinton-wins

meanwhile trump goes around proclaiming he will stuff the court with the most conservative conservatives. i hate republicans and their massive bigotry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: October 18, 2016, 06:04:55 pm »

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/17/498328520/sen-mccain-says-republicans-will-block-all-court-nominations-if-clinton-wins

meanwhile trump goes around proclaiming he will stuff the court with the most conservative conservatives. i hate republicans and their massive bigotry.

Goodness... and people wonder why there is such a push for Senate reforms...

Seriously Republicans it is her prerogative to add Liberals... Isn't that one of the points of becoming President? That you are allowed to field a few of your own? The Senate essentially being a slower moving "Sober seconds" of the Presidential elections?

The fact that they can just outright prevent the President from even adding any Liberal Senate members means that I have absolutely no respect for the US senate.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: October 18, 2016, 06:10:33 pm »

More importantly, it breaks down maybe the single longest legislative tradition in the United States: to accept all appointees without partisan strife. Only the qualifications of the nominee are considered, not their politics.

Now that the fuckers are breaking this down it may only be a matter of time before it's outright partisan warfare. It was bad enough when this was happening with federal judges, and if it reaches the Supreme Court that's it. We'll have a grossly dysfunctional government literally with empty seats until one party gains control.

Fortunately, that probably won't happen. The Dems only have to get 50 to foil this for two years and hopefully calm it down, assuming they aren't already committed to striking back for the whole deal with Scalia.

I love that this also happened over Merrick Garland, perhaps the most moderate and obscenely qualified SCOTUS nominee of all time. Good odds the Republicans beg for him and accuse Clinton of fraud for appointing a liberal instead post-election.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: October 18, 2016, 06:20:20 pm »

They should make being a sore loser a capital offense
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7641 on: October 18, 2016, 06:21:54 pm »

I think this is the beginning of at least two long, terribly dysfunctional years. And it'll all be blamed on Clinton.

Maybe it would be better for Democrats if Trump won. Then the DNC could get the dead wood burned out and Trump would run the country into the ground enough to remind people what Republicans are best at. You'd think having the model of the south to look at would help, but hey.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: October 18, 2016, 06:22:16 pm »

They should make being a sore loser a capital offense

You joke but I think you are on the right track. It shouldn't be legal to bog down the system this way...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: October 18, 2016, 06:26:10 pm »

Isn't there some kind of law already in place against obstructing democratic processes?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: October 18, 2016, 06:28:35 pm »

Thanks Canada, thanada.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: October 18, 2016, 06:35:45 pm »

Isn't there some kind of law already in place against obstructing democratic processes?

If there was then the Tea Party would have been gone LONG ago!

Err wait... they aren't part of the Senate right? What are they part of? Ahh yes Congress!

American Politics is confusing...

Federal Court, Supreme Court, Congress, Senate, President... >_<

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: October 18, 2016, 06:40:31 pm »

The House of Representatives are elected every 2 years, and usually known as the house, there are 430 something in there, Senators are 4 or 6 years I think, there are 2 per state, 100 total.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:28 pm »

The standoff could be pretty prolonged. The Dems have the presidency fairly sewn up due to a favourable map and demographic shifts GOP the Republicans is likely to keep the house for the foreseeable future due to gerrymandering.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7648 on: October 18, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »

The Supreme Court has judges, btw. I think that Neo might be confusing the SC and the Senate.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: October 18, 2016, 06:50:25 pm »

The standoff could be pretty prolonged. The Dems have the presidency fairly sewn up due to a favourable map and demographic shifts GOP the Republicans is likely to keep the house for the foreseeable future due to gerrymandering.

Yes, but the House isn't involved in the Supreme Court nomination process, just the Senate. And there is a chance that the Democrats could take that back this election.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 1249