Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392005 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7605 on: October 18, 2016, 01:48:43 pm »

Problem's that pesky freedom of speech thing, mostly, space. There's a lot of precedent mostly saying you can't interfere with folks attempts at politickin'. You can limit how they go about it, to a degree, but the SC is probably going to kick you in the ass if you try to stop it entirely. And a lifetime ban? Stuff like that's not going to fly. You might be able to get away with it if it was a business doing something like that, in relation to their own business, but we'd be explicitly talking the government violating people's right to influence those government decisions via talkin', i.e. lobbying. Fund restrictions and whatnot are one thing, complete denial is a whole 'nother ballgame. There's not exactly a maximum time limit on the amount someone can try to influence decision making. Maybe you think that's unfortunate, but it's what we got.

Like, ferex.
Once a new guy is elected and power is peaceably transferred to new officials, why should the old officiajls be able to continue to influence government decisions?
The why is because I can influence those decisions. And you can. And anyone in this country, by and large. There's no rationing system in place for freedom of speech. You can keep someone from holding office but you're going to have a hell of a time keeping them from talkin' to the folks that do. Legally, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: October 18, 2016, 01:49:00 pm »

The fifth point at least sounds reasonable. The Constitution and Bill of Rights doesn't apply to non US citizens. First amendment doesn't apply to them, they have their own nation's rules to follow. And why allow foreign groups to donate money or raise money for US elections?

You are, um, mistaken. Badly.
  Pesky corporations are people too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: October 18, 2016, 01:51:01 pm »

And, y'know, immigrants. It's not like we just show up and get citizenship instantly.
Yea, they are.  But immigrants tend not to be lobbyists.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: October 18, 2016, 01:53:22 pm »

The Constitution and Bill of Rights doesn't apply to non US citizens.
You are, um, mistaken. Badly.
You what. My understanding is that the Constitution was written in regards to how the United States government would work. The Bill of Rights was written to add onto what was written in the Constitution, in regards to what the US government can do and cannot do, and what rights citizens of the US have.

Other nations have their own rules, doctrines, plans of government, etc, and can model their own policies and laws and doctrines and whatever on the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, but that's up to other nations' governments and other nations' populations to decide. US can't say it's illegal for, say North Korea to control the North Korean press and pump out propaganda for the Grorious Reader because it violates the 1st amendment. US can condemn the action and say it's immoral but that doesn't mean the US Bill of Rights applies to what the government of the foreign nation of North Korea can and cannot do.

And, y'know, immigrants. It's not like we just show up and get citizenship instantly.
Oh, ok. I see the misunderstanding. I suppose I should have said "other people living in other countries".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: October 18, 2016, 01:56:59 pm »

I don't see what the problem is here. Government officials had their chance to influence government decisions and policies while they were working in the government. Once a new guy is elected and power is peaceably transferred to new officials, why should the old officials be able to continue to influence government decisions?
Because it helps everyone if the old officials are able to continue to contribute their experience to the common cause.

A state where new officials and old officials are not on speaking terms will rapidly devolve into a state where every such "peaceful transition" is more akin to a coup, and you don't really want to see that happen to your country.

It'll drastically reduce stability of foreign relationships, just as a most immediate example that comes to mind. And America's wealth (EDIT: and strength, can't forget that) is built on that very cornerstone.
._.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: October 18, 2016, 02:04:47 pm »

Well, another take on that, old officials will be 5 years out of date and have essentially been on vacation mode that whole time.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: October 18, 2016, 02:22:54 pm »

There are various bodies of international law acknowledged by the vast majority of nations on the planet, but they generally come into play when it is a grey area that isn't handled by local law or is specifically encoded as being a case where other nations can intervene in a fashion which is supported by international law if say, a nation declares that wiping out [insert ethnic/racial/religious/political/whatnot group here] is totally legal and begin just exterminating them, the rest of the world can pop in and say "yeaaah, about that, we're gonna need you to stop doing that, and... give back that stapler" since we figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and write down laws guaranteeing certain basic human rights after that whole thing with Germany and all.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: October 18, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »

What, you don't want the McMullin to win? Just imagine - a POTUS elected with less than 10% of the popular vote! Mass joint riots from both Democrats and Republicans! It would immediately enter the political textbooks and become one of the most well-studied and notable political events of 21st century!

Actually he would be #1 in my book, but it seems a tad bit unlikely...

You are right that him getting the presidency would be awesome :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: October 18, 2016, 02:32:28 pm »

Unsurprisingly, my brother *suddenly* cares a lot about the laws governing collusion between Americans United for Change, the DNC, and Clinton.  Doesn't matter that I believe the core part of the video (that activists were inviting violence upon themselves), no I'm blind for not believing this manipulative asshole's 3-second clips that imply Clinton signed off on this.  That these people were mysteriously willing to admit to her involvement too, by the way.

No we must keep an open mind and ignore this person's history of skilled deceit, and believe these clips because we'd rather not consider any other possible context than "Oh yes we're doing illegal stuff and Clinton knows!"  Fuck's sake.

He also thinks the volunteers putting themselves in harms way were in the wrong too though, which really hurts.  Because it's so similar to what I did in high school, with Critical Mass and similar... actions.  Never throw the first punch, just be heard and let *their* reactions be judged.

Meanwhile he thinks the firebombing was Clinton supporters.  Because that's totally what the "Incremental change" supporters would do, right?
Ugh, I don't mean to drive a wedge or simplify anybody's position...
HE sure does, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: October 18, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »

Population of Utah: 2.9 mil
Voting Rate: ~60% (Utah is technically lower, but they're weird and inconsistent about it so I'm using the national rate)
Minimum McMullin Vote To Win Utah: 26%

Minimum McMullin Vote: 452,400
US Population: 318,900,000
US Voter Turnout: 130,000,000

President McMullin received the vote of 0.348% of American voters, in a stunning display of democratic value.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:19 pm »

The latest news from CNN is that the rest of the country has seceded from Utah.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7616 on: October 18, 2016, 02:50:24 pm »

Holy shit, the Donald is trying to get rid of the Iron Triangle? Wow, he's now slightly less of a vile scumbag in my opinion. Ever so slightly.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: October 18, 2016, 02:56:20 pm »

Holy shit, the Donald is trying to get rid of the Iron Triangle? Wow, he's now slightly less of a vile scumbag in my opinion. Ever so slightly.

Well... except for you know... his motives... AMERICA!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: October 18, 2016, 03:00:39 pm »

Could it be coming from his campaign and not from the Trump himself? We've already had a few moments where they've disagreed with each other, on the issue of election's legitimacy in particular.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: October 18, 2016, 03:03:28 pm »

The motive is spite, neo, not 'murrica. Which is why it's fairly likely it actually came from trump :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 1249