Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393159 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7245 on: October 16, 2016, 01:27:11 pm »

If you're going that far you might as well use some of the power locally to run things to keep people out. By the time we actually had solar infrastructure of note in the sahara I'm pretty sure we'd be able to plant some automated stuff around the edges to shoo off (or bury, I guess) scavengers.Think I remember we had the tech for it like a decade or two ago, it's just that the places they'd normally be used had issues with potentially indiscriminate fire and pesky laws and whatnot. Sahara has notably fewer of those concerns >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: October 16, 2016, 01:51:45 pm »

I cannot bear going back over the past three pages and individually line-by-lining everything right now, but just let it be said that most if not all of the objections raised to solar and wind in this thread aren't true, and some of them are utterly baffling.

And there's no reason to focus on the Sahara. The idea of "paving the Sahara" is popular due to the graphs on how much area would be needed to power, and this is why infographics can do more good than harm. That area is something spread out over the entire world.

This is aside from the Sahara being utterly inhospitable, not much better for w/m2 than most sunny places, and inhabited. For the record, let us nix this conversation about how to "keep out" the human beings who, you know, live there. That's verging on outright colonialism, and it spreads malformed ideas stemming from things like "lol Africans tearing down power lines". People tear down power lines to harvest the metal when the power lines aren't giving them what they're supposed to give them: electricity. Any group of people in need of metal and not receiving power would eventually turn to the power lines, and once one section is down all the rest become even more useless and thus even more likely to be harvested.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7247 on: October 16, 2016, 02:06:21 pm »

Highly distributed Solar+battery is actually quite reasonable. It would be even more reasonable if we stopped subsidizing fossil fuels.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: October 16, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »

Some other tidbits about PV solar that make the load balancing problems seem less problematic:
If you look at charts of peak demand, it can generally be summarized by "high during the day, low at night" due to the fact that humans are generally diurnal and our society all but shuts down after 10PM. As such, a good amount of solar power will, if anything, help *reduce* use of peaker plants by varying naturally in a way similar to that of power demand.

For further generation optimization, fixed PV cells like rooftop solar can be installed at a variety of angles, resulting in different ideal power generation times. So in that way, the economics can result in installation optimized for peak hours.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 16, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »

Idea: Solar Wall along the Mexico/US border.  Doesn't need to block passage. That can be done by the electric fence that it powers, to keep the desperate immigrants from leaving the depravation, poverty and strife of Trumpland...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7250 on: October 16, 2016, 02:34:55 pm »

About time we got back to Trump.

I'm trying to figure out how to update Liberal Crime Squad for the new era. Give everyone smartphones?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7251 on: October 16, 2016, 02:36:06 pm »

why equatorial countries don't get in on this solar business. Countries in the tropics tend to be some of the most impoverished.

And there you have it. Capital outlay is prohibitive.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 16, 2016, 02:42:34 pm »

Idea: Solar Wall along the Mexico/US border.  Doesn't need to block passage. That can be done by the electric fence that it powers, to keep the desperate immigrants from leaving the depravation, poverty and strife of Trumpland...
No, no. Not a solar wall. Or at least not just a solar wall. What we do is bicycles. On some sort of track that keeps em slow while putting a lot of the effort to use making energy. A miles long corridor with leg turned power generation. So they can come in as they please, but they've gotta' put out a good handful of Kw first.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »

You could call it the Green Mile

Makes me wonder though how human muscle power rates on the CO2 efficiency scale. I think burning coal or fossil fuel might actually be less polluting per kW produced. Our respiratory system is not terribly efficient.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:02:52 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: October 16, 2016, 03:02:45 pm »

I could see trump unironically naming this hypothetical construct just that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: October 16, 2016, 03:03:55 pm »

That's too ambiguous, it could imply that it glows green and is actually a wall constructed out of leaking nuclear reactors
._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 16, 2016, 03:32:12 pm »

Our respiratory system is not terribly efficient.
It's probably a lot better than anything we can make that does the same thing in the same amount of space...  The designs have been honed over millenia, and the few obvious faults (food and air pipes splitting from the same junction, so that the semiautonomic control valves occasionally fail, for example) are provably of low significance.

The biggest improvement might be to employ a countercurrent system (air vs blood) to optimise gas transfer, much as (some?) gill systems work (or heat exchangers with energy crossing between media), and that airflow thus needs to be continuous (a superimposed counter-heart for airflow pumping?), but that'd mean leaping from one evolutionary mountain slope to another (not necessarily adjacent).

So perhaps we could re-engineer human lungs better, but that'd probably have to take that particular leap to make up for the inability to create quite so good a set of self-cleaning, self-repairing gas exchange membranes as we currently have in the more bellows-like constructs we currently use...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: October 16, 2016, 04:03:12 pm »

Makes me wonder though how human muscle power rates on the CO2 efficiency scale. I think burning coal or fossil fuel might actually be less polluting per kW produced. Our respiratory system is not terribly efficient.
...What are you talking about?

Biological systems tend to hit around 80% efficiency, which is pretty damn good compared to everything else, it's just that not all of it goes directly into kinetic movement, since we maintain ourselves. The bond energy is gonna be the same basically no matter what. The only thing really relevant at that point is how much H2O versus CO2 is produced by the reaction. And honestly, CO2 isn't that bad in terms of being a greenhouse gas. There's just so goddamn much of it currently that it piles up. But CO2 gets taken up by plant life and cyanobacteria, whereas methane and the other pollutants that aren't purely about global warming do not. Chlorofluorocarbons, for example. Biological systems don't scale as well as mechanical systems, but they're significantly more efficient and self-sufficient.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 16, 2016, 04:11:03 pm »

Also, the burning of fossil fuels releases all sorts of other nasty stuff that respiration doesn't.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7259 on: October 16, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »

Also, people breathe regardless of whether they're a couch potato or an Olympian - how much extra respiration does exercise take, anyway?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1249