Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394276 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7125 on: October 15, 2016, 06:16:30 pm »

Ah, I thought she was saying that most environmentalist Sanderites were saying "no more fuels" and "no more pipelines" and "no more energy".
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: October 15, 2016, 06:18:43 pm »

Even the actual Clinton quote infuriates me. She clearly has no realistic understanding of fracking if she thinks there are right circumstances for it. And prattling on about how we need more pipelines. Ugh.

No, I don't want her to promise to never bring fossil fuels out of the ground again. I want her to promise a continuous reduction. Her portrayal of environmentalists is a strawman to justify doing nothing, just as the fossil fuel propagandists love it, I'm sure.

Yeah... I... kind of take it the same way.

I get what she's trying to communicate, and am somewhat sympathetic.  That some radical stances on environmentalism aren't realistic or constructive.  But her overall tone sounds more generally dismissive towards the issue than that.  Normally, I'd accept saying "get a life" about people who are too extreme on an issue.  But when that issue is non-hyperbolic urgent do or die right now for human civilization, I think there should be a great deal more understanding offered to people who take extreme stances on it.  Even if they're wrong, if you can't respect why people have reached that point on the subject, then it's hard to trust that you're taking it as seriously as it deserves.

In other words, I think wikileak's tweet is only halfway misrepresenting the nature of her speech there...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: October 15, 2016, 06:39:50 pm »

Pretty sure half is going too far. Maybe a tenth or something not misrepresented. Probably less. That wasn't just in reference to folks with an extreme stance, it was also pointed at the ones that are overtly disruptive, and linked with a general message that, yeah, shit needs to get done, and folks need to be heard. Dismissive towards the general movement is not something you can read into it.

From someone speaking at a Goldman freaking Sachs venue, that's about as much as you can reasonably expect, imo.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: October 15, 2016, 06:43:00 pm »

Even the actual Clinton quote infuriates me. She clearly has no realistic understanding of fracking if she thinks there are right circumstances for it. And prattling on about how we need more pipelines. Ugh.

No, I don't want her to promise to never bring fossil fuels out of the ground again. I want her to promise a continuous reduction. Her portrayal of environmentalists is a strawman to justify doing nothing, just as the fossil fuel propagandists love it, I'm sure.

She said no on the Keystone and the only piplines she prattled on about are the aging infrastructure (water, sewers, everything else) stuff that needs to be fixed/upgraded.
I want to defend repairing and building the pipelines we need to fuel our economy.
I'm not surprised she'd be against Keystone, as it is both controversial and also not actually "fueling our economy" (Keystone's slurry is being moved for export). That does not mean we need to build other, less known pipelines. The government constantly tries to pull this shit under cover of obscurity.

Not even getting into all that's been going on with them violating tribal treaties lately....
^^^^
This.

Or in the words of Futurama's clone candidates, "I'm against those things that everybody hates!"

Keystone XL, TPP, gay marriage....there are a number of her stances that are blatantly poll-driven.

We had poll-driven "leadership" here in NC under the last governor. Which turned out pretty badly (resulting in the current, even worse governor).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: October 15, 2016, 06:48:19 pm »

Ah, I thought she was saying that most environmentalist Sanderites were saying "no more fuels" and "no more pipelines" and "no more energy".

This is why wikileaks is releasing the stuff.  Because they know that if you read it the context will make you see things that aren't there.

Keystone XL, TPP, gay marriage....there are a number of her stances that are blatantly poll-driven.in the current, even worse governor).

Aww gee, it must be nice being a psychic like you are.  Cuz either you can look at her and read her mind or you are full of shit and thinking that what you want to believe is true must be true in the case of ambiguity.  Not that this is remotely new behavior for you.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: October 15, 2016, 06:52:28 pm »

From someone speaking at a Goldman freaking Sachs venue, that's about as much as you can reasonably expect, imo.
These powerbroker types need a cold dose of reality poured on their heads. Letting them stay in their comfortable echo chambers is a part of why nobody ever addresses these things. We can ill afford to center our entire society and discourse on soothing their poor stockholder egos.

Either that, or they need to suddenly become not so powerful.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: October 15, 2016, 06:56:15 pm »

... yeah, you have fun with that. I'm sure in another 20-50 years, that might actually cause some sort of benefit. In the mean time, I'd rather folks able to get them to do something useful do the talking, y'know? It's either that or murder if you want something done quick.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7132 on: October 15, 2016, 06:56:52 pm »

Or a Communist revolution!
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:13 pm »

These powerbroker types need a cold dose of reality poured on their heads.

Well you see the problem is that when someone goes to bankers and tells them that they are failing and that the jobs of banks is to invest in infrastructure people need but doesn't flip them the bird and promise to tax them into space, they get their ankles bitten by the some members of the left.

And you aren't going to have many people saying those things to bankers if they are paying a political price for it.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: October 15, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »

Yes, she is the very personification of the saying that 'politicians go where the wind blows', yes she tried to use poll tested ancedotes (every single letter is chosen by her team, I don't know how much of any of her talk is her origional words) and got failed, yes, she is the very epitome of establishment, but dammit, she isn't a complete sleazebag like Trump is.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7135 on: October 15, 2016, 06:59:31 pm »

they get their ankles bitten by the some members of the left.

Neoliberals?
Sigtext!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: October 15, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »

Neoliberals?

::)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7137 on: October 15, 2016, 07:02:03 pm »

Neoliberals?

::)

Is that a ::) for me, or for the neolibs?
Sigtext!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: October 15, 2016, 07:05:21 pm »

I dont think you are a neolib.

Also, neolib stopped being a term for members of the left like 15 years ago.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: October 15, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »

neo con artists
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1249