Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388612 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #6180 on: October 09, 2016, 09:36:37 am »

Everyone who wouldn't mind letting Trump have a grope, raise your hands.

Really?

...I can't be the only one, well this is just awkward.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: October 09, 2016, 09:38:23 am »

Your link isn't actually a link, just letting you know. Also, that's the archaic definition.

Yeah, fixed, thanks. The point was the definition was about as in-use as folly's alternate meaning for "grope".

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: October 09, 2016, 09:39:31 am »

Really?

This election is getting too weird for me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: October 09, 2016, 09:53:45 am »

It's not just "locker room talk", it's the sexual assaults that he described himself committing.
But that type of response in general reminds of an article back when Justin Bieber was in all that drugs/drag racing trouble. One writer said "give Bieber a break weren't we all like that when we were teens?" (e.g. rich entitled foul mouthed, car crashing sexist assholes who backtalk the police, trash houses and throw wild parties). Ummm, no.
I think this is actually a major problem with the remarks. Rape apologia never looks good and it's pretty likely Clinton will be able to force Trump into those positions during the debate.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: October 09, 2016, 10:02:12 am »

Really?

This election is getting too weird for me.
What, only now? For me, it was like that ever since the "Can't stump the Trump" bullshit unrealistic plot armor began.
._.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: October 09, 2016, 10:05:51 am »

Doing anything inappropriately is by definition unacceptable. However, when it comes to sexual contact, appropriate is somewhat loosely defined. Prior to being told 'No', appropriate is typically judged on a case by case basis and tends to be weighed heavily on the emotional response of the perceived victim.

Righto, so it's ok to grab ladyparts in public, coz you weren't 100% sure she'd say "no".
I did not say that it was okay to grab ladyparts if she hasn't said 'no'. I said that how okay it was is typically determined on a case by case basis, weighed heavily on the perceived victims' level of response. Police don't go around arresting guys who grab their girlfriends ass in public if the girl is totally okay with it. On the other hand, someone gently touching a woman's shoulder could easily turn into a successful conviction of sexual assault if the woman gets a good lawyer and turns up the waterworks in court.
This is relevant because in the specific scenario Trump described, there is no record of the woman he put his moves on making an issue, and therefore it is not reasonable to assume that it was unwelcome and therefore sexual assault.

I also disagree with you on the connotations of grope. Grope in the basic sense means to grab at something in a haphazard way. In the sexual context 99% of the time it's used to mean inappropriate touching
Are you able to cite sources on this 99% figure? Because if not, I'm going to have to argue that the actual dictionary definition takes precedent over your perceived meaning. And yes, some dictionaries do have some definitions that imply unwelcome contact, but for every one such definition I am seeing five others which leave the intent entirely ambiguous.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: October 09, 2016, 10:12:19 am »

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2016/10/08/hoo-boy-two-more-major-antitrump-oppo-drops-coming-n2229679
Not being familiar with the minutiae of the US media, I came to realise where Townhall.com lay upon the spectrum.

But when it ends with the summation of "Corrupt, lying Hillary Clinton[1] couldn't have scripted this any better if she'd tried. And in light of her longtime friendship with Trump and knowledge of his self-destructive tendencies, perhaps she did.", I think I now haveba clue.

And it's funny. From the benefit of distance, at least...  :P

(Gradually catching up...  You go off-line for half a day and all hell breaks loose.)

[1] That entire phrase being a link to a somewhat hostile article determined to up-play any doubts at all that exist into full-blown conspiracy, just to ram the message home...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: October 09, 2016, 10:17:00 am »

This is relevant because in the specific scenario Trump described, there is no record of the woman he put his moves on making an issue, and therefore it is not reasonable to assume that it was unwelcome and therefore sexual assault.
... except. Y'know. There are records. Of women he put the moves on making an issue. Iirc even the specific one he was being slime towards in the stuff being primarily discussed has chimed in, and it wasn't "Oh, that's okay." There's been stuff along those lines popping up for at least a few weeks, now, nevermind stuff like the particular recording in question.

Seriously though, if shit like that is normal locker-room talk where you're at, there's something straight up wrong with the area you're in. I've been in locker rooms over the course of my life, and around plenty of people who were letting the proverbial shields down and saying what they please, and those words recorded were not normal. Plenty of vulgar crap of all sorts of sorts, but stuff like trump was saying is notably beyond most pales I've ran into. They'd either identify an incredibly scummy bastard or get met with some notable "WTF dood", from everything I've seen.* And we're talking going backwards, too, before there was all that much of a societal backlash against this shit. It and worse occasionally happens talking wise, but it damn sure ain't common or shrugged off with any regularity.

*Which, hey. Is exactly how the public is reacting. Go figure.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:19:54 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:31 am »

I'm going to have to argue that the actual dictionary

Could you please provide the dictionary definition you are using?  Cuz it sure as grope aint the definition that comes up in google.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: October 09, 2016, 10:22:52 am »

I hate to make it seem like we're all piling on, but moving away from letting Trump have a grope at ya, locker room talk is usually stuff like "hur hur, yer wang is shaped funny" and... oh, probably a sensitive subject for him, ok yeah I see where you're coming from now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: October 09, 2016, 10:38:54 am »

Anybody who says "This is just how guys talk when they're in the locker room" actually means "This is how *I* talk".
I mean jesus....I'm probably the most lascivious, oversexed canoodler on this forum and I'd punch myself if I talked like this.

I'm also a little tired of the "oh it was 11 years ago" shit. 2005 was not the Stone Age.

At this point, anyone left defending this is either a dyed-in-the-wool Deplorable or an MRA. Though that's redundant.

EDIT: Oh, and don't think this bit of tomfuckery went unnoticed:
Donald Trump talking about making aggressive advances on females is not particularly unusual among virile males

I've already noticed a pattern of defenders implying that women who protest are just jealous because they're too unattractive to get groped by a rich guy, and that men who protest:

1) Have "low-T"
2) Are not sexually attracted to women
3) Are jealous that Trump gets to be a coochhound and they don't

Which kinda makes me wish someone would make that argument to my face, cause I haven't handed out a good ass-whippin' in some time. Need to make sure my T is high, you know.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:45:58 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: October 09, 2016, 10:40:25 am »

Seriously though, if shit like that is normal locker-room talk where you're at, there's something straight up wrong with the area you're in.

It was never my position that this type of conversation is acceptable, or that it should be ignored by the public. My position is that this type of conversation is relatively inconsequential compared to actual policies which Trump has proposed, and business practices he has enacted. The one person Trump claims to have groped is insignificant next to the millions who are facing deportation or being denied refuge that they desperately need, and the thousands who have been swindled out of their savings or provided services without compensation.

I'm going to have to argue that the actual dictionary
Could you please provide the dictionary definition you are using?  Cuz it sure as grope aint the definition that comes up in google.

First 3 sources from a google search of 'Dictionary Grope', dictionary.com, merriam-webster.com, and urbandictionary.com

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: October 09, 2016, 10:47:38 am »

While you're at it, can you see what the definition of "is" is?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: October 09, 2016, 10:48:32 am »

I'd edit out the urbandictionary one before someone puts up the toadsignal, Folly.

Personally I've always found sexual scandals like this irrelevant to a politician's abilities and qualities in office, and have found the media frenzy that always results distasteful. This is an extreme challenging of that position, and I'm not sure if I'll need to qualify that stance in the future. I can quite honestly say that even this extreme case hasn't affected my opinion of Trump, though, for whatever that's worth.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: October 09, 2016, 10:48:55 am »

Trump was young and stupid, he was just 60 years old at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1249