Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389002 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5835 on: October 05, 2016, 10:17:12 pm »

I think his model stinks.  And accuracy?  Accuracy is easy.
Hells, accuracy is mostly all I want. And Wang is accurate*. He's accurate on a fairly simple poll median model, and I don't see where Silver's addition of fundamentals is adding anything much more than horse-race volatility. The more assumptions you layer on top of a model, the more room for error you introduce and at some point if you're not careful you cross the line into punditry. Not saying that Silver is there yet, but I do get the impression that he's slowly edging closer (see Trump's Six Stages of Doom). I appreciate that adding the correct fundamentals to a model would help, I'm just not confident Silver has reliable ones. (Full disclosure: I still read FiveThirtyEight and wouldn't have much of a problem relying on it if I had to; I just tend to like PEC's model better. "Silver lost me" was a little hyperbolic.)

Also, curious: are you referring to a particular consensus published somewhere that Sam is outside of? I know there's him and Nate, and Drew Linzer over at Votamatic, and one or two others who have been running data-driven election forecasting models since 2004 or so, but otherwise it's still a relatively new field. I'd be interested in more reading on the subject.

*In presidential years, anyway. His 2014 wasn't as good.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: October 05, 2016, 10:39:48 pm »

Also, curious: are you referring to a particular consensus published somewhere that Sam is outside of?

It's just a general trend I have noticed over the years but you can see it yourself if you take a look at the NYTimes comparison on this page: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html

Sam Wang's predictions are more confident then NYT (cohn), 538, Cook, Roth and Sabato, the other aggregators and experts.  This comes from the expection that polls will be mean reverting which I think is a fundamentally fallacious assumption.  We have seen elections where the polls did not revert to the candidate who lead for a long time: 1992, 2000, 2004 spring to mind.

I think that there is a case to be made that the 538 model takes things too far by treating polls as basically a random walk biased back towards "fundamentals" but the folks over there are well aware of that.

In fact I would say that it is Sam Wang, not 538 who is adding a layer of assumption into his model and setting him up for a "nobody could have predicted" error.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: October 05, 2016, 10:52:34 pm »

2016: The year the GM banned exploding dice once and for all.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: October 05, 2016, 10:55:02 pm »

Not so much exploding dice as possibly weighted dice.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: October 05, 2016, 10:57:10 pm »

That would imply Trump had some sort of deliberate advantages, rather than being the only one crazy enough to try to roll a 1% skill check, crit succeed, and get several more critical successes afterwards.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: October 05, 2016, 11:25:09 pm »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/gary-johnson-north-korea-229221 Eh? No idea why he'd object to mentioning the leader of NK. Or maybe he objected to the question.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: October 06, 2016, 04:41:58 am »

Johnson actually argued that the President knowing WTF was going on in the world would be dangerous for the US military:

These foreign policy answers have raised serious questions about Johnson's knowledge of basic international facts. The Libertarian nominee though has tried to wave those questions off. In an interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Tuesday, the former New Mexico governor argued that a deep foreign policy expertise is a pathway to starting wars.

"You know what? The fact that somebody can dot the I’s and cross the T's on a foreign leader’s geographic location then allows them to put our military in harm’s way," Johnson said.

Basically he's arguing here that if you pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist, America will be safer.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: October 06, 2016, 06:00:17 am »

Johnson actually argued that the President knowing WTF was going on in the world would be dangerous for the US military:

These foreign policy answers have raised serious questions about Johnson's knowledge of basic international facts. The Libertarian nominee though has tried to wave those questions off. In an interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Tuesday, the former New Mexico governor argued that a deep foreign policy expertise is a pathway to starting wars.

"You know what? The fact that somebody can dot the I’s and cross the T's on a foreign leader’s geographic location then allows them to put our military in harm’s way," Johnson said.

Basically he's arguing here that if you pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist, America will be safer.
It's typical libertarianism, actually. They have always had to pretend that the rest of the world, along with its entire history, doesn't exist, in order to justify their inane "government that can fit in a shed" societies.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: October 06, 2016, 06:41:59 am »

I suppose you could make the argument the U.S. is safer if johnson ignores that the rest of the world exists?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:48 am »

Imagine how safe we would be if Trump didn't know about the rest of the world either.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: October 06, 2016, 07:52:16 am »

So yeah. US is literally an Oligarchy.
::)
And the Canada is literally a monarchy.

It is also literally a theocracy!
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: October 06, 2016, 07:54:54 am »

It's typical libertarianism, actually. They have always had to pretend that the rest of the world, along with its entire history, doesn't exist, in order to justify their inane "government that can fit in a shed" societies.

I've been thinking that they he seems to be a proponent of the 'head in the sand' strategy, which isn't even a real strategy.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: October 06, 2016, 09:56:48 am »

I heard the People's Republic of Ostrich is repealing the military reforms regarding sand-heading due to inefficiency issues when trying not to get eaten by Lions.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: October 06, 2016, 10:13:16 am »

I've been thinking that they he seems to be a proponent of the 'head in the sand' strategy, which isn't even a real strategy.
It is now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: October 06, 2016, 12:01:27 pm »

(Usual caveat: confidence in win probability aside, it only matters if folks actually go out and vote. So go vote.)
From what I understand it kinda...doesn't? Because the electoral college is a thing and can instantly cast aside the popular vote like a sack of bricks? Like what happened with George W?

So yeah. US is literally an Oligarchy.
Actually to be frank I'm fairly impressed with how rarely the electoral vote and the popular vote don't line up. Further, it's not a matter of casting aside, it's a matter of the structure of the system. They aren't obligated to vote for the popular vote in the country (otherwise it would just be a matter of who got more people period and then 100% of the electors vote for them), they're obligated to vote for who they said they would vote for, once voted upon themselves. It's entirely possible for three states to vote 60% in favor of one candidate and 40% in favor of the other, and for the other two to vote 100% in favor of the other, and for the first to still win, despite only having 30% of the popular vote. But none of them 'cast aside' the popular vote. It's just multi-tiered first-past-the-post. It's why I find gerrymandering so upsetting.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 1249