Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394696 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4125 on: September 15, 2016, 09:35:20 am »

I gotta say Onion, I'm disappointed. Dry humping a Seth McFarlane gag to rip on Nebraska is pretty weak for the US' preeminent satire news rag.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: September 15, 2016, 09:48:04 am »

I gotta say Onion, I'm disappointed. Dry humping a Seth McFarlane gag to rip on Nebraska is pretty weak for the US' preeminent satire news rag.
The North Dakota section was pretty weak too.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: September 15, 2016, 09:55:25 am »

There's a big difference between scientific expertise and political expertise. What Adams was talking about was a collection of scientists, philosophers, etc.

Yes but Adams was talking about them for scientific guidance while the DNC provides political guidance.

You hate experts telling you what to do in politics because it's political but you think that these scientists and philsophers wont be political?  How would you feel about Milton Friedman, an esteemed economist and noted fascist, setting your labor standards?  How did you like having the Supreme Court decide Citizens United?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: September 15, 2016, 09:58:47 am »

Actually, aren't most people here happy with having a strong supreme court?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:04 am »

Well professional politicians are very good at winning elections regardless of their competence at doing the actual job. Which is one of our big issue right now : how well they fare is not directly correlated to how well they do their job.

Professional scientist are good at getting peer reviewed result (and at making good presentations) so how they fare is largely correlated to how good they are at their job.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: September 15, 2016, 10:03:55 am »

Actually, aren't most people here happy with having a strong supreme court?

Well they dont approve of the way it's handling it's job: http://www.gallup.com/poll/4732/supreme-court.aspx

It's still a lot more popular then congress but Donald Trump is a lot more popular then Congress.  And the approval has been trending downward over the timeframe when they did two controversial decisions, Citizens United and Obamacare.  I would suggest that if they were making more such decisions they would enjoy the unpopularity of Congress.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: September 15, 2016, 10:05:01 am »

I'm quite surprised the approval was so high back in 2001 after they handed the presidency to Bush.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: September 15, 2016, 10:08:45 am »

I'm quite surprised the approval was so high back in 2001 after they handed the presidency to Bush.

Al Gore was a graceful loser.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: September 15, 2016, 10:10:27 am »

Well professional politicians are very good at winning elections regardless of their competence at doing the actual job. Which is one of our big issue right now : how well they fare is not directly correlated to how well they do their job.

Professional scientist are good at getting peer reviewed result (and at making good presentations) so how they fare is largely correlated to how good they are at their job.

Depends, you can at times go a long way as a scientist without having anything decent under your belt. About a decade or so ago there was this case of a south korean medical geneticist or something who made this claim about some sort of breakthrough in stem cell research, and got millions in funding from the government and brought together a pretty impressive team of made up of some of the most respect names of the field in the world, then it was found out he faked his entire research. Apparently he expected the all star team he put together to actualy pull it off and then get credit for it, and then it didn't happen.

He got caught, but its still pretty impressive how far he got just on fake research.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: September 15, 2016, 10:18:14 am »

Depends, you can at times go a long way as a scientist without having anything decent under your belt. About a decade or so ago there was this case of a south korean medical geneticist or something who made this claim about some sort of breakthrough in stem cell research, and got millions in funding from the government and brought together a pretty impressive team of made up of some of the most respect names of the field in the world, then it was found out he faked his entire research. Apparently he expected the all star team he put together to actualy pull it off and then get credit for it, and then it didn't happen.

He got caught, but its still pretty impressive how far he got just on fake research.

That is not relevant to my argument, but maybe I didn't present it clearly.

As a politician, you get judged on your ability to win an election, and your job is to run a country and further your citizens' interests.

As a scientist you get judged by your ability to produce peer reviewed research, and your job is to make science.

The scientist is judged on something much more relevant to the ability to do his job than the politician.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: September 15, 2016, 10:22:46 am »

Not really. Normally politicians that fails at their job don't get re-elected. For high office (such as the presidency), it's normally expected that the politician in question will have a long experience in government so that we can judge his record and see how good he is at governing.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: September 15, 2016, 10:25:02 am »

I wouldn't quite say that unsuccessful elected officials lose office but it puts a ceiling on their ambitions.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: September 15, 2016, 10:46:08 am »

Yeah, I'd second that. Failure is also a subjective term in politics depending on what is going on. Failing to provide for disaster relief for your area and watching it get decimated might be considered a general failing for any politician. Not acting on something that is important only to a sub-section of the electorate might not be. I.e., the failure to not implement a bathroom bill might piss off conservatives but would be rewarded by democrats.

Besides. We have politicians publicly admit to banging a mistress, hiring prostitutes, doing drugs, been found guilty of blatant corruption, etc.... and they still get re-elected.

Also, apparently Americans CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

Seriously though, you can easily read that as "the public would be talking about all of Trump's shady and possibly unethical business dealings rather than his message." You know, the exact reason those documents are released in the first place, to catch shit like this. What's the adage conservatives always like to use? "If you're not guilty then you've got nothing to hide?"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:12:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: September 15, 2016, 11:07:19 am »

I think that's an authoritarian slogan, not a conservative one.

Try to use that in connection with gun law, for example.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: September 15, 2016, 11:23:04 am »

It's not like our political parties are particularly shy about hypocrisy. It's definitely a slogan you see very much predominately on the conservative side of US politics, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1249