Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393494 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4005 on: September 12, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »

I got pneumonia once. It's the sickest I've ever been in my life and I literally started coughing up blood after a while because I couldn't stop. I speak with no hyperbole when I say I was coughing every 5-10 seconds, awake or sleeping, for a month.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: September 12, 2016, 02:52:59 pm »

I got pneumonia once. It's the sickest I've ever been in my life and I literally started coughing up blood after a while because I couldn't stop. I speak with no hyperbole when I say I was coughing every 5-10 seconds, awake or sleeping, for a month.

I had a case of bronchitis at 13 that was this bad.  I've had a semi-chronic coughing issue ever since.  Like if I get a cough for any reason, it can take me months to get rid of it, even after I'm otherwise not sick anymore.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: September 12, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »

I've had pnuemonia twice in my life. Immediately after I was born, and when I was 13.

When I was 13, it started as a pain in my back during one of my birthday parties. It graduated to the point any movement or pressure on my back gave me crippling pain. Everyone was sent home. I couldn't sleep. I spent three days sitting up in bed and learning how to sleep sitting up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: September 12, 2016, 03:23:52 pm »

538 has an article out about young voters being pro-Obama but anti Clinton.  Seems I was being too hard.  There isn't a problem with voters under 30.  There is a problem with voters under 25.

You damn youngsters!  Ruining the reputation of over 25 year olds like myself!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4009 on: September 12, 2016, 03:28:57 pm »

The Democratic party is running this campaign into the ground. She's willing to work through pneumonia, and she's going against doctor's advice to pay respects on 9/11, and through no fault of her own that comes out, and somehow, somehow, they made her look bad.

If there were two people at the DNC headquarters who knew what they were doing, then their competent staff would have tripled.

EDIT: Thanks, Obama. Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:35:54 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: September 12, 2016, 04:01:17 pm »

Huh, I just caught the Trump "deplorables" ad, which has the whole quote about racists, islamophobes, sexists, and homophobes... and then they just say "she's calling you, you, and you... deplorable" sooooo, is it just me or does that feel like a tacit confirmation of the statement with the implication that it isn't deplorable to be in that basket? I mean... what?

Hillary: Half of your supporters are awful hatemongers.
Trump: Hey!
Hillary: Ok, sorry, I shouldn't have said half.
Trump: What? You shouldn't have called them awful, I have the best hatemongers!
Hillary: *thud*
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:09:45 pm by Max™ »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: September 12, 2016, 04:11:07 pm »

Just googled the ad myself, and yeah, I got quite a laugh out of that. I'd like to be one of the people who does the line reading for attack ads. Imagining some person sitting in a studio reading these absurd statements with that ridiculous angry tone gets me every time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: September 12, 2016, 04:12:07 pm »

That seems more explicit than tacit, really.

... I mean. Yeah. Stepping on that sovereign immunity thing does sound like a bad idea? Though also yeah, what that would open the US to would be a helluva thing. There's still plenty of people alive that got fucked up by the contras, right? Among everything else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: September 12, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »

Huh, I just caught the Trump "deplorables" ad, which has the whole quote about racists, islamophobes, sexists, and homophobes... and then they just say "she's calling you, you, and you... deplorable" sooooo, is it just me or does that feel like a tacit confirmation of the statement with the implication that it isn't deplorable to be in that basket? I mean... what?

It's just you, I think.

He's not wrong to say so, and I'll be pretty disappointed if it passes. I don't really like the idea that someone can be, essentially, free from the consequences of their actions if they're important enough, but we don't need some totally-not-government-funded foreigners pulling bullshit like this either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: September 12, 2016, 04:21:51 pm »

The people she directly insulted weren't going to vote for her anyway, by a slightly simplistic overview.

But it overshadows her intended 'take-home message' that the basket containing the "other half", 'grossly generalistically', is full of people who are not like that, who have possibly legitemate grievances with the 'establishment' politics and whou really should be brought back into the actually more sane areas of politics.

But the Deplorables (please tell me that someone has photoshopped eithe The Expendibles or The Incredibles film posters!)...   Well, fukkem, I say. (A good friend of mine would be an official Deplorable, if he was a US citizen. I've got no problem being friends, but politics isn't something that we agree on.)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: September 12, 2016, 04:25:20 pm »

The people she directly insulted weren't going to vote for her anyway, by a slightly simplistic overview.

But it overshadows her intended 'take-home message' that the basket containing the "other half", 'grossly generalistically', is full of people who are not like that, who have possibly legitemate grievances with the 'establishment' politics and whou really should be brought back into the actually more sane areas of politics.

But the Deplorables (please tell me that someone has photoshopped eithe The Expendibles or The Incredibles film posters!)...   Well, fukkem, I say. (A good friend of mine would be an official Deplorable, if he was a US citizen. I've got no problem being friends, but politics isn't something that we agree on.)

Yes they have. No idea WTF "patriot retort" is, but they were pretty quick on the uptake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4016 on: September 12, 2016, 04:26:35 pm »

That seems more explicit than tacit, really.

... I mean. Yeah. Stepping on that sovereign immunity thing does sound like a bad idea? Though also yeah, what that would open the US to would be a helluva thing. There's still plenty of people alive that got fucked up by the contras, right? Among everything else.

I tested it out: If it was a republican president in the same situation, I'd be pissed. Therefore, I'm pissed.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: September 12, 2016, 04:32:42 pm »

Yeah, I mean, I would never expect any sort of significant "I was totally pro-trump but I'm going for hilldog now" numbers, but man, responding to a broad insult of a segment of your voting base for being "deplorable hatemongers" to paraphrase, by saying it's uncool to call them deplorable is not where I expected them to go.

Also, Giraffe, your avatar was very subtly screwing with me, well played.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: September 12, 2016, 04:35:57 pm »

I tested it out: If it was a republican president in the same situation, I'd be pissed. Therefore, I'm pissed.
... any particular reason? Keeping knee-jerk legislation from screwing the country is something I tend to appreciate in a president, m'self.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: September 12, 2016, 04:42:36 pm »

Yeah, I mean, I would never expect any sort of significant "I was totally pro-trump but I'm going for hilldog now" numbers, but man, responding to a broad insult of a segment of your voting base for being "deplorable hatemongers" to paraphrase, by saying it's uncool to call them deplorable is not where I expected them to go.

Also, Giraffe, your avatar was very subtly screwing with me, well played.

I think it look stupid because you're viewing it through your ideological lens. Listing off all the -isms Clinton is slinging around isn't something to get bogged down in for an ad with a short time limit and they're very clearly implicit.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1249