Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390792 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2790 on: August 14, 2016, 07:31:42 am »

Hey, I dunno. Works in some parts of the world! *shrug*

But seriously, nice strawman. Not caring about cops shooting criminals does not equal advocating summary execution.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: August 14, 2016, 07:33:23 am »

Sure, is just being perfectly okay with it when the person being killed has broken a law.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: August 14, 2016, 07:36:05 am »

No, it's being perfectly okay with a cop shooting somebody who they judge to be a danger to others. As these people were.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2793 on: August 14, 2016, 07:43:41 am »

No, it's being perfectly okay with a cop shooting somebody who they judge to be a danger to others. As these people were.
The protesters were getting violent but it's hard to say if handgunguy actually was a threat or just randomly holding a gun. And, quite frankly, I don't have a shred of faith in US cops to distinguish a threat from a loaf of bread.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: August 14, 2016, 07:50:28 am »

S'pretty different from what you said before, that. But a'ight. I'm more of the okay with cops shooting somebody someone else* thinks is a danger to others type, myself, but it's more reasonable than just a blanket "criminals".

*An independent third party of some sort, probably. I hear it can do some pretty amazing things for incidents of police violence and that whole shitting on due process thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: August 14, 2016, 07:52:50 am »

That all sounds nice, but how would you propose to implement that in the field in split second decision situations?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: August 14, 2016, 08:01:16 am »

That seems to take care of itself fairly well when some sort of overwatch organization is in place, really.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: August 14, 2016, 09:07:52 am »

Not caring about cops shooting criminals does not equal advocating summary execution.

If your only concern is whether or not they're a criminal then yes, in today's climate, you are essentially advocating summary execution. Resisting arrest isn't grounds for dying. Being a thief isn't grounds for getting shot in the back. Police and their supporters seem to have forgotten that, because all they see is dead cops and give police the license do whatever because of it. Not all criminals are an immediate threat to society, and not every policing encounter with a criminal needs to involve a gun.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:30 am »

Resisting arrest isn't a capital crime, but suicide by cop is a reliable way to die.  You can escalate the situation and force them to kill you to safeguard themselves and others.

[quote author=Orange Wizard link=topic=159257.msg7133207#msg7133207 date=1471178621
The protesters were getting violent but it's hard to say if handgunguy actually was a threat or just randomly holding a gun.
[/quote]
I think someone fleeing lawful arrest and refusing to drop the gun they're "randomly" holding is a significant threat.

Like, I think cops are justified in shooting retreating people sometimes.  Fugitives are a threat to civilians if they've been violent during the arrest (all those cases of wrestling with cops before fleeing).  But if someone drops their gun, and merely tries to get away, that's someone who should really be wrestled down instead of shot.  They're *probably* just scared.

Not dropping the gun implies he intended to use it soon, if only to threaten people.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: August 14, 2016, 09:37:45 am »

Which is why we REALLY need to invent some sort of truly non-lethal thing that cops can shoot and actually works.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: August 14, 2016, 09:39:01 am »

I think that's called a taser.

Or bean bag bullets, if you really need something with a kick in the gut.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:30 am »

Nah, those both still seem to do a pretty decent job at killing people. Not truly non-lethal (which is why less than lethal was coined, heh). We need space magic of some sort. Maybe nanomachines, I'unno.
Ask not!
Ask!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: August 14, 2016, 09:46:59 am »

I think that's called a taser.

Or bean bag bullets, if you really need something with a kick in the gut.

and actually works.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: August 14, 2016, 09:48:05 am »

Have you ever been tasered?

Or hit by bean bag bullets?

They're the closest thing we got to a non-lethal ranged weapon with enough kick to reliably incapacitate.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: August 14, 2016, 09:54:00 am »

I keep seeing people going on about how Soros controls everything and is the evil NWO, but... what does he do, exactly? I haven't heard about anything bad, so all I can assume is that he's just some rich guy with a foot in politics.
He's funded radical "Kill All Men" feminists and BLM protests, many of which turned into riots. He also has an active warrant on his head from the Russian government for repeatedly violating their laws, has called the concept of national borders an "obstacle", and also claimed that traditional European values involve open borders. I'm sure you can understand how some people find some of these things to be objectionable.

Most of those things are a complete load of lies however.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/19/no-george-soros-didn-t-give-33-million-to-blacklivesmatter.html
For the Soros / Putin thing I can only find references on lunatic fringe websites. Calling bullshit unless you have at least one "non insane" citation.

For what Soros said about borders, it was a specific comment in the context of the Hungarian government sticking up razor wire all around their country, which basically fobbed the refugee problem off on everyone else.

“His plan treats the protection of national borders as the objective and the refugees as an obstacle,” Mr Soros added. “Our plan treats the protection of refugees as the objective and national borders as the obstacle.”

Basically, the problem doesn't get solved by every individual country going full-fascist and refusing to work with each other on this. It's just retarded. That's how you end up with things like they were going in the 1930's: that's where we are headed, and that's what Soros is pointing out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:24:13 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1249