Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390494 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2775 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:30 am »

I keep seeing people going on about how Soros controls everything and is the evil NWO, but... what does he do, exactly? I haven't heard about anything bad, so all I can assume is that he's just some rich guy with a foot in politics.
Behold the official twitter feed of unspeakable evil:
https://twitter.com/georgesoros
Holy crap this guy's a scumbag
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: August 14, 2016, 06:18:02 am »

Rioting going on in Milwaukee after a police shooting.
The man shot was armed with a handgun and asked to drop his weapon. A gas station and a bank have been set on fire. Officer hospitalized as a brick was thrown through the window of his car.
Yeah this is getting stupid. If riots ensue after every black criminal that gets shot, police could just as well quit their jobs.

Dont worry people, we found a gun on the black man!  Plus we sprinkled some cocaine on his body afterwards.  Give the shooting officer a medal already! /s

Look, while statistically speaking most of the people getting shot by the police are engaged in criminal behaviors it is extremely problematic to dismiss someone killed while attempting to flee by saying they have a gun on them.  In particular given that this is the US and well... a shit ton of people venerate hand guns more then their dicks.  The attitude you display of rushing to judgement is the exact shitty attitude that lead to black lives matter in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:20:17 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: August 14, 2016, 06:41:16 am »

Some distrust of authority is healthy.

But implying a gun was planted at every shooting is an unhealthy distrust of authority. Especially when police say the suspect was summoned to drop his weapon and refused, by a cop wearing bodycam.

When a police officer summons you to drop your weapon you do that, or accept the risk of getting killed.

EDIT: but okay in all fairness I have not seen the bodycam footage myself, so perhaps I could be accused of putting too much trust in a police spokesman.
I don't see how trusting authority would be responsible for creating BLM though, or why this would be a 'shitty attitude'.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:45:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: August 14, 2016, 06:49:48 am »

Yeaaahhh... amazingly enough, having a gun on you, even a stolen one, even after a cop's told you to drop it, isn't actually a capital offense in the US, particularly not one that bypasses that whole due process and appeals and whatnot thing and goes straight to the execution. If you start shooting or brandishing, maybe, but we currently have no indication of that, so far as I can tell.

Cop's job isn't extrajudicial killing. The job can involve it, and it's an important tool, but generally speaking discouraging that is a good idea. Less riots, less dead people, more justice and law and all that tomfoolery. Good stuff, mostly. Maybe some more dead cops, too, but endangering their life for that whole legal process thing is kinda' literally what they signed up for.

... all that said, it looks like some of the rioting may be calming down (let's hope neither the police nor others antagonize back into full swing), which is generally a good thing. Anyone know how unsurprising this all is? Haven't exactly been paying attention to the state of police behavior in a city in wisconsin... even if it is milwaukee.

And nah, not every shooting. But it's happened enough (among other things, like the person shot being armed but not actually drawing or attempting to) just trusting it was a good shoot when the police say the person was armed is... probably not the best of ideas.

E: And to the edit, the shitty attitude is immediately defaulting to the cops being right to kill this guy, even without any sort of evidence besides "police said was armed and at-least-previously criminal". That is, in part, exactly the attitude that's led to BLM, or at least some similar, to frankly kinda' be needed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:54:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: August 14, 2016, 06:53:27 am »

even after a cop's told you to drop it, isn't actually a capital offense in the US
Heh I did not know that. But then why would a cop even demand someone drop their gun?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: August 14, 2016, 06:55:45 am »

Oh, it's still illegal. Still a criminal offence, generally, and by and large the police have been given a legal mandate to demand a citizen to disarm, if not an entirely conditionless mandate. It's just not a capital (i.e. potential death sentence) one.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:57:29 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: August 14, 2016, 06:56:01 am »

Maybe some more dead cops, too, but endangering their life for that whole legal process thing is kinda' literally what they signed up for.
Now that I would call a shitty attitude. But then again I come from a country with much less privatly owned guns.  Always thought that motivation to join the police would come from a desire to help people, not a desire to die for your country. There's the army for that.

(Note that over here, cops dying in the line of duty is a thing that almost never happens.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:59:25 am by martinuzz »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2782 on: August 14, 2016, 06:58:00 am »

Yeah it's almost as though saturating your society with weaponry is a bad idea
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: August 14, 2016, 07:00:49 am »

I keep seeing people going on about how Soros controls everything and is the evil NWO, but... what does he do, exactly? I haven't heard about anything bad, so all I can assume is that he's just some rich guy with a foot in politics.
He's funded radical "Kill All Men" feminists and BLM protests, many of which turned into riots. He also has an active warrant on his head from the Russian government for repeatedly violating their laws, has called the concept of national borders an "obstacle", and also claimed that traditional European values involve open borders. I'm sure you can understand how some people find some of these things to be objectionable.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:05:48 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: August 14, 2016, 07:02:59 am »

Maybe some more dead cops, too, but endangering their life for that whole legal process thing is kinda' literally what they signed up for.
Now that I would call a shitty attitude. But then again I come from a country with much less privatly owned guns.  Always thought that motivation to join the police would come from a desire to help people, not a desire to die for your country. There's the army for that.

(Note that over here, cops dying in the line of duty is a thing that almost never happens.)
Their job in this country is to enforce the law. Literally that, helping people was deemed not to be particularly important by the courts some decades ago. If they ain't going to be legally accountable for saving peoples' lives they damn sure better be upholding the legal system, and that means court time and due process, not dead on the street.

And if that means a greater risk of injury or death, well... that is pretty much precisely why (in part, if nothing else) we give them so many goddamn privileges and legal powers. That's the cost. You get greater control over folks' lives, greater largess in terms of violence, great frothing heaps of societal appreciation (which is still happening, mind, even with all the blowback they've been getting the last handful of years), so on and so forth, and in exchange you accept greater risk to your life, among a number of other things.

... though as usual it's worth noting that cops don't actually have much of a fatality rate in the US. They're in the top twenty, but not the top ten, and so far as I can recall most of their deaths aren't due to getting shot. S'usually traffic related, iirc.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:13:56 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: August 14, 2016, 07:08:18 am »

Yeah it's almost as though saturating your society with weaponry is a bad idea
The cat is out of the bag. The best options at this point are education and training. There's no point restricting them when there are already over 300 million legal firearms.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: August 14, 2016, 07:09:33 am »

I, personally, don't intend to shed a tear over dead criminals, or listen to a domestic terrorist group. But eh, you do whatever you want.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: August 14, 2016, 07:11:33 am »

Just the idea that a normal law-abiding citizen like Frumple is willing to consider the killing af a cop by a criminal as 'fair game' horrifies me.
There's something very wrong there at a very deep societal level.
Because if you say 'that's kindof what they signed up for', you're saying it's fair game.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2788 on: August 14, 2016, 07:22:35 am »

The cat is out of the bag. The best options at this point are education and training. There's no point restricting them when there are already over 300 million legal firearms.
Australia was in the exact same situation as the US a few decades back, and they turned it around completely. 21 guns per capita, and comparatively negligible gun violence. The difference is that after people realised that guns were actually dangerous, they did something about it, instead of going all muh liberty, muh rights

He's funded radical "Kill All Men" feminists and BLM protests many of which turned into riots. He also has an active warrant on his head from the Russian government for repeatedly violating their laws, has called the concept of national borders an "obstacle", and also claimed that traditional European values involve open borders. I'm sure you can understand how some people find some of these things to be objectionable.
Citation needed on literally everything there

I imagine he funded BLM before it turned into a race war, back when it actually looked like they had an argument

I wouldn't count "wanted in Russia" against anyone to be honest, Russia is kinda crap

I kinda agree with him on the borders thing tbh, does that make me a cosmopolitan cuck?

I, personally, don't intend to shed a tear over dead criminals, or listen to a domestic terrorist group. But eh, you do whatever you want.
I have this friend called Yagami
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:30:13 am by Orange Wizard »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: August 14, 2016, 07:28:03 am »

Just the idea that a normal law-abiding citizen like Frumple is willing to consider the killing af a cop by a criminal as 'fair game' horrifies me.
There's something very wrong there at a very deep societal level.
Because if you say 'that's kindof what they signed up for', you're saying it's fair game.
Saying the risk of it is part of the job, at least. If a cop isn't going into the job expecting a greater degree of risk what they hell are they doing on the streets, and why the hell are we paying them and giving them guns and drastically expanded legal powers?

Man, I hear ya'. Death to all speeders, 55 mph living limit. Time to round up and execute everyone that ever recorded a show off TV, fuckers deserve nothing but bullets. Graves for shoplifters, man, graves for shoplifters. Due process can get buggered, whoever needed that shitty fifth amendment anyway. Damn thing's never done anything for anyone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:32:37 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1249