Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390388 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2745 on: August 13, 2016, 09:07:20 am »

For DDT, most countries only banned it in the early 2000's, 30 years after the USA did. Many poorer countries never stopped using it to try and control malaria. So there must be other reasons than that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:09:37 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: August 13, 2016, 09:10:02 am »

I suppose so. It doesn't make sense anyway, they gain resistance to DDT so quickly it's become the original penicillin of pesticides.

Maybe they're just not as fecund? I find it hard to believe any species of mosquitoes would have trouble breeding as much as the others.

Or it could just be a public order thing to remove stagnant water.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 13, 2016, 09:10:50 am »

For DDT, most countries only banned it in the early 2000's, 30 years after the USA did. Poor countries never stopped using it to try and control malaria. So there must be other reasons than that.

Habitat destruction can be a factor.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 13, 2016, 09:23:44 am »

Pretty much every city and town has a pest control department, so I'd imagine that's a large factor in low mosquito numbers.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 13, 2016, 09:33:42 am »

And/or get his people engaging in some serious voter intimidation on polling day.

You just might be prescient. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/donald-trump-election-observers-226981 or perhaps the type of person that Trump is, is simply predictable.

Maybe we oughta counter with the UN or some independent international body send their own observers, then again, observer effect and all that.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: August 13, 2016, 09:40:39 am »

Counter it with more people with guns. If our democratic ideals get that perverted and our own institutions are too blind, corrupt, or feckless to deal with it, then there's no other proper recourse than blood.

I mean, it might just be sleep deprivation and my presence at a shrine to American ideals and failures, but what the fuck happened that this level of goddamn shitiness is acceptable to us?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: August 13, 2016, 09:48:12 am »

Counter it with more people with guns. If our democratic ideals get that perverted and our own institutions are too blind, corrupt, or feckless to deal with it, then there's no other proper recourse than blood.

I mean, it might just be sleep deprivation and my presence at a shrine to American ideals and failures, but what the fuck happened that this level of goddamn shitiness is acceptable to us?

Wish I knew as well.....

It MAY just be hyperbole and nothing will come of it, but if it does end up at that level on election day, everybody (sane) will be like "the HELL is wrong with us?!?!?", and the world will quiver in not knowing what's going to happen.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: August 13, 2016, 09:51:59 am »

If that happens and we're lucky, then we get a wave of violence and upheaval to try to wash the slate a little cleaner. The more likely outcome is that we keep limping onward and downward, away from any kind of coherent higher ideal, just slouching towards Babylon to be born.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: August 13, 2016, 09:55:53 am »

If that happens and we're lucky, then we get a wave of violence and upheaval to try to wash the slate a little cleaner. The more likely outcome is that we keep limping onward and downward, away from any kind of coherent higher ideal, just slouching towards Babylon to be born.

Eh? I don't think it's going to get that violent, some protesting and a little rioting maybe (with the occasional protest getting out of hand), but all out violence? No. Protesting as an outlet is pretty strong here and the only real all out violence is going to come from the FAR-far-right nutters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: August 13, 2016, 09:58:32 am »

There will almost certainly be some "hey buddy, let me see your ID" by Trump supporters on election day whether he specifically courts that or not. I look forward to the chaos.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: August 13, 2016, 11:42:33 am »

I have started to see people suggesting that Zika is a global conspiracy to reduce the population by inhibiting births.

Which is dumb. If you were going to reduce the global population with a bioweapon you would want it to cause sterility, not birth defects.
FYI, new strains of the virus have been found to reproduce in the male genital glands. These were from male's-I think Puerto rico or florida, not sure of the source.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: August 13, 2016, 01:09:39 pm »

There will almost certainly be some "hey buddy, let me see your ID" by Trump supporters on election day whether he specifically courts that or not. I look forward to the chaos.
I'll be sure to have my driver's license glued onto my fist, so I can fulfill their requests.

"No officer, I didn't facepunch this man. He requested to see my ID, and I attempted to comply rapidly and vigorously. And repeatedly."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: August 13, 2016, 01:47:56 pm »

Trump made zika. He intended it for Mexico. But because he doesn't know exactly where Mexico is, it ended up in Brasil and Puerto Rico.
[CANON:HEAD:ACCEPTED]

I just had to scoot our local mosquito killing machine over since she set her web up across the wrong set of columns on the porch, damn beautiful and helpful spidergirl making me get all webbed up deliberately trying to keep them from webbing someone accidentally.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: August 13, 2016, 06:16:16 pm »

Well, well, well, Pence is going to be releasing his tax returns.

I wonder when Trump is going to? probably RIGHT before the polls open or during that time, or he'll wait until after inauguration, or maybe we'll have to wait for some sort of scandal or controversey (I can imagine a 'days since last controversey/scandal' thing in the oval office) to break that forces him to do so or wikileaks to, well, leak them.

Also, funky business with the Clinton campaign what with her state department chief or whatever having ties with the Clinton Foundation. And the DOJ and FBI apparently meeting together and discussing opening a corruption investigation into that some months ago and were like 'nah, it'd be too political'. Sounds like something that actually did get blocked by political correctness TBH, but then, I believe it was said that they didn't have the evidence to start anyway.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: August 13, 2016, 06:31:49 pm »

Dang, that's some heavy rainfall folks in the Louisiana are plagued with. 3 Deaths have been reported so far.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/photoseries/articlephotos/4357220/f66a2490-ef7a-428b-997c-f1c04fccfa81

I hope no one else dies. Newspaper reports there's hundreds of people trapped in their homes or vehicles awaiting rescue.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1249