Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1386589 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1065 on: July 23, 2016, 10:19:45 pm »

I'm just saying it's their yard and it's their right to keep it how they like it. Whatever claims they make after that are just that. Claims.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 23, 2016, 10:20:21 pm »

Isn't the 2nd ammendment the one about the right to bear arms tho? What does it have to do with twitter arguments :u? I confuzzled.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 23, 2016, 10:22:00 pm »

Sure, but they can't very well claim impartiality at the same time.
Sure they can. They're impartially seeking more profit, yeah. The most capitalistic of impartiality.

Or they're just not 100% perfect at it or whatev'. However long the guy was operating beforehand they seemed to be doing a pretty good job in his particular case. Though I guess you could make the goat fornication argument *shrugs*

... and yeah, TA, it is. Typo, for all I'm leaving it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 23, 2016, 10:22:25 pm »

Isn't the 2nd ammendment the one about the right to bear arms tho? What does it have to do with twitter arguments :u? I confuzzled.

I dunno but when El Presidente institutes thunderdome we will find out.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1069 on: July 23, 2016, 10:22:54 pm »

A well regulated militia can keep and maintain high capacity shitposts

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 23, 2016, 10:23:41 pm »

Sometimes, you just need to go full America and fire a Desert Eagle into your computer screen. By winning the argument with superior firepower, you let the whole world know just how right you are and just how wrong they are!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1071 on: July 23, 2016, 10:25:51 pm »

Sometimes, you just need to go full America and fire a Desert Eagle into your computer screen. By winning the argument with superior firepower, you let the whole world know just how right you are and just how wrong they are!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1072 on: July 23, 2016, 10:34:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shit tier waifu tho
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 23, 2016, 11:33:46 pm »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 24, 2016, 12:30:47 am »

In other news, I hear Clinton picked a super bland but safe VP, probably to court more middle-ground votes, is that a sound explanation?
Quote from: Tim Kaine
I am boring. But boring is the fastest-growing demographic in this country

I read that Clinton's highest qualification for her VP, beyond safety, the base, or personal chemistry, was "fit to be President": so, in essence, the opposite of McCain's thinking in '08.

To be fair to McCain, he thought Palin was qualified when he picked her.

All reports I've seen are that he hated her from the start and that she was a pure demographic play, actually. 

Kaine being the VP pick makes me surprisingly happy.  He's well-respected and well-liked, has worked hard for all of his constituents (Virginia ranges from poor Appalachia backwoods to majority-minority inner city to extreme mansions, great experience for the national level), and tries hard to be a genuinely good guy.   He's an excellent pick on multiple levels and that Clinton picked him at least says great things about her political strategy. 

I also think it says good things about how she'll govern. She wouldn't pick a consensus-building representative of the people who balances strong religious beliefs with respecting others if she was going to be a selfish dictator in office or run roughshod over constituent concerns. 

In other topics, the RNC is making me really sad.   Republicans are literally the party of my fathers, they used to be my party, but ever since the Tea Party distorted from fiscal responsibility to extremism and pushing conservative religious positions it's just melted down.  It's such a morally bankrupt dysfunctional mess right now, and I'm so disappointed.  Everything the Republicans are doing this election cycle is so anti-American-values. Freedom of speech? Not at Republican rallies. All people have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Apparently not. Surprise, 'vote with your conscience' is super bad now, we should all vote on straight party lines and not question party leaders. Candidates and party leaders openly walking back on promises, claiming things that just aren't true, and not even pretending to be doing anything but naked political maneuvers.  I'm so disappointed.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:42:34 am by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 24, 2016, 12:49:13 am »

All reports I've seen are that he hated her from the start and that she was a pure demographic play, actually. 

This is completely new to me.  I thought he got a really good vibe from her and so he rushed his judgment.  When you say demographics, do you mean woman?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 24, 2016, 03:01:02 am »

The Twitterbans are not limited to conservatives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 24, 2016, 03:01:37 am »

Specifically, calling someone fat and ugly because they were associated with a terrible movie that somehow became controversial.

He's a worthless, desperate dick.  Shouldn't have been banned though.
Wasn't inciting attacks, just desperately chasing the bandwagon.

Edit:  As WKNC proudly proclaims:  "The publication of this material is the price we pay for FREEDOM in this country!"
It was (IMO) a desperately racist bandwagon.  Likening actress Leslie Jones to a gorilla or "some black dude" is clearly racist, mysogynist and/or intentionally provocative, that should not go unchallenged1.

That's not to say that the anti-Milos in this argument have acted any better. I've seen some shocking behaviour (courtesy of a friend, described in the footnote below and Twitter follower (while he could) of Milo) of militant backlash that I found as unacceptable.  And if Twitter isn't seen as even-handed then there's problems.

I generally support the rights of anyone to say anything (not being in the US, like most of the world is not, I don't have any Amendments to fall back on... but it's a good general principle) but an echo-chamber of extremist views of any kind, left unchallenged and allowed to indoctrinate others, is comparable to the "shouting 'Fire!' in the crowded theatre" pseudo-example and should not be allowed free reign without some attempt at moderation.

Each 'side' naturally finds no problems with their own opinions (that may have been visibly supressed) whilst noticing copious examples of opposing ones (the unsuppressed ones) that they object to. Observer bias. I like to think I'm neutral, or at least able to be objective, but I know that such a view is mostly a mirage and try to work round it. Wishy-washy liberal (UK sense), as I am.  :-\

1 But I'm a hipocrite. I have a very good friend who is currently using the term "monkey" for black people2 and subscribes to highly disputed studies of IQ variance around the world. I've stopped challenging him, hoping that a stoney silence will do better to show my displeasure better about this particular aspect of his attitude. That's not working any better, yet, than the prior attempts to challenge him more directly.

2 "People of color" just sounds... meh.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 24, 2016, 03:07:38 am »

This is completely new to me.  I thought he got a really good vibe from her and so he rushed his judgment.  When you say demographics, do you mean woman?

Appeal to the Tea Party types, not gender. McCain was accused of being a "RINO" so he needed a "down to Earth" conservative from some rural Red state.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1079 on: July 24, 2016, 03:11:42 am »

The Twitterbans are not limited to conservatives.
A lot of liberals oppose soc-jus progressivism as well, so yeah.

2 "People of colour" just sounds... meh.
FTFY

But yeah, it sounds really dumb. It's bullshit us-vs-them, lumping all non-whites into one category. African-American is okay, but it's only relevant to the 'States, and people get it into their head that apparently it's less racist to call people African-American (which is long and can't be abbreviated (except to AA but that's anti anonymous air alcoholics already) so another point against) instead of just black or brown or African or Middle-Eastern or whatever.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1249