Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387470 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #615 on: July 20, 2016, 10:49:44 am »

...Did I miss some post??  Playergamer didn't attack anyone!  At "worst" he implied that a 22-year-old case is probably pretty weak.
He didn't call anyone a liar, I still don't know where Mainiac even got that.
Can we be just a little bit chill about this?  It's embarrassing.

Fakedit:  Mainiac, please, point out where Playergamer said anything like that or stop rapid-firing accusations.  You should probably just walk away but you won't.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 20, 2016, 10:52:38 am »

Well, if you believe Trump did not in fact rape a 13 years old girl, you're implicitely calling the person behind the lawsuit a liar.

Which I don't think is necessarilly a bad thing, I mean, the only alternatives would be being forced to treat everyone accused of sexual assault of guilty until proven innocent, or forcing everyone to have no opinion on cases that are of high political nature like this one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 20, 2016, 11:00:13 am »

It's sad how predictable all of this is.  Someone blames the accuser and then tries to weasel their way out through any way possible.  People bend over backwards to be generous to the same people who just leapt to assumptions.

...Did I miss some post??  Playergamer didn't attack anyone!  At "worst" he implied that a 22-year-old case is probably pretty weak.
He didn't call anyone a liar, I still don't know where Mainiac even got that.

Fakedit:  Mainiac, please, point out where Playergamer said anything like that or stop rapid-firing accusations.  You should probably just walk away but you won't.

... Rolan, you are missing something.  At "worst" I implied that Playergamer had some resemblance to horrible people.
I didn't call anyone a liar, I still dont know where Playergamer even got that.

Fakedit:  Rolan, please, point out where I said anything like that or stop rapid-firing accusations.  You should probably just walk away but you won't.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:02:11 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 20, 2016, 11:01:44 am »

mmmh, that's some good shitpost right there.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 20, 2016, 11:02:20 am »

And if you don't believe the allegation outright, you're just reserving judgement.  I think that's what we're all doing, really.

I mean... I think there's a good chance he did it.  He is, as the HuffPost was eager to point out, quite misogynistic.  I just think the timing is fishy, even scummy.  It's clearly politically motivated.

THAT might be victim blaming.  Questioning the strength of the case, or pointing out how old it is, is not.

Fakedit:  Hilarious, Mainiac.  Have an internet point or whatever.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 20, 2016, 11:04:36 am »

Well, if you believe Trump did not in fact rape a 13 years old girl, you're implicitely calling the person behind the lawsuit a liar.

Which I don't think is necessarilly a bad thing, I mean, the only alternatives would be being forced to treat everyone accused of sexual assault of guilty until proven innocent, or forcing everyone to have no opinion on cases that are of high political nature like this one.

We can have "innocent until proven guilty" without having "assume the accuser is a liar".

And if you don't believe the allegation outright, you're just reserving judgement.  I think that's what we're all doing, really.

I think it's obvious as clear that Playergamer was not reserving judgement.  I think that Playergamer made statements no less strong then I did.  You assumed a meaning of my statements but you refuse to assume a meaning of his statements.  It's pretty freaking hypocritical.

If Playergamer was in fact reserving judgement then why was his first reaction not "yo mainiac, I'm reserving judgement"?  Instead his first post was "Bill Clinton sexual misconduct allegations".  You are whitewashing what actually happened.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:06:51 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:08 am »

I mean... I think there's a good chance he did it.  He is, as the HuffPost was eager to point out, quite misogynistic.  I just think the timing is fishy, even scummy.  It's clearly politically motivated.

But then, if you are a victim of rape, it could make sense that you feel your rapist risking to win the presidency is horrible enough to motivate you into gathering the strength to sue him. Just imagine seeing his face on telly every day for four years. Or at least until his impeachment

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 20, 2016, 11:25:04 am »

Yeah, that's true.
Seems like it should have come up a year ago, before the nomination was locked in.  But there could be a lot of reasons for that.

Just seems like the timing is perfect for letting Trump get the nomination, then hurting his chances in the general election.  Implying she might have been advised to wait.  But, that's nothing more than a theory.
She/they

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:05 am »

Alternatively, she was hoping he wouldn't get the nomination, and only did it when it was clear he would win it. I mean, we all dismissed Trump in the beginning.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:53 am »

Those allegations don't come out of a vacuum, and if you look around there are some other accusations against Trump, with names attached.

On the other hand, an article in The Guardian is saying that the guy who filed the current lawsuit is a known celebrity muckraker who has a history of being connected to outlandish accusations against celebrities, and they're shopping around a video of the accusations to various media outlets asking for a cool $1 million for the exclusive story.

So it's definitely a mixed bag going on here. The current accusations are way more hardcore than anything leveled at Trump before (which basically account to him heavily hitting on adult women. Sleazy, but not necessarily illegal), and they're being linked to a known media sleaze merchant. If true, the accuser really picked the worst person to work with as a publicist.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:33:21 am by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 20, 2016, 11:29:30 am »

Luckily this is one of the areas where the american press is actually pretty good... if it gets to work.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 20, 2016, 11:33:15 am »

Alternatively, she was hoping he wouldn't get the nomination, and only did it when it was clear he would win it. I mean, we all dismissed Trump in the beginning.
She came out last week though, I think?  Not months ago, and not after it was made official yesterday?
Still, obviously there are reasons to put off something so painful.  I mean that.
She/they

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 20, 2016, 11:35:43 am »

Keep in mind that we had a former speaker of the house who committed child rape sexual abuse of children and that the allegations didn't come to light until after he was already speaker resigned from his office for a decade and under indictment for financial crimes.

People's lives are complicated.  Who knows what victims are going through before they decide to come forward?

Edit: corrections.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:39:11 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 20, 2016, 11:59:42 am »

Reading the Gaurdian article, this whole thing looks fishy. The main string-puller is the dude who used to goad Jerry Springer TV show guests into having fist fights. And he's been using a false identities, often with disguises, making accusations about celebrities for years. So, orchestrated by a dodgy fucker with a dodgy history.

Also, the lawyer who they got to file the lawsuit has literally zero background in this type of case. He normally does patent disputes, and the original lawsuit was thrown out by the judge in California for basically being junk (person filing did not know which statutes even applied). Basically the case had to be refiled because they got some inept lawyer who doesn't even know the applicable laws to file it.

The main link is that Trump is supposed to have raped the girl at the home of Jeffrey Epstein, a disgraced finanicier convicted of soliciting underage prostitutes in 2008. But the charges against Epstein (paying underage girls) are really a different type of charge to the ones against Trump (rape and death threats). The lack of similar accusations surrounding Epstein is hard to explain as well.

So I'm very not convinced. Way too many dodgy people associated with this thing, lawyers who don't even know what the relevant laws are, the charges seems to opportunistically associate with Epstein, but they don't really gel with what he was doing anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 20, 2016, 12:00:55 pm »

Epstein did settle a bunch of claims out of court, do we know the details of each?

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1249