Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388108 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2016, 11:16:43 pm »

I would bet a good minority of sanders voters might do a protest after hitlery gets crowned high tetrach.
Btw most Americans make a protect vote by not caring enough to vote, you think there's a venn diagram that might show that kind of apathy overlapping with people willing to get up and March? 
You're more likely these days to get 100'000 people marching on Washington because a wild chancy has appeared.
How many people don't vote because their employer refuses to let them take a day off on election day? I know a few.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2016, 11:39:05 pm »

Why the hell would any Sanders-supporter vote for Trump? He's the polar opposite of Sanders, while Clinton is... Not the polar opposite of Sanders.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »

For a truly spectacular fire, of course. And Clinton is the opposite of Sanders in her own, reptile way.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2016, 11:42:27 pm »

Why the hell would any Sanders-supporter vote for Trump? He's the polar opposite of Sanders, while Clinton is... Not the polar opposite of Sanders.
Voting for trump is not a protest vote, and will not be considered a protest vote. I am referring to the practice of writing "protest vote" on a write-in ballot to express universal opposition to all the candidates.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2016, 11:44:36 pm »

For a truly spectacular fire, of course. And Clinton is the opposite of Sanders in her own, reptile way.

How so? I get how Sanders and Trump are similar, but not how Sanders and Clinton are opposite. At least she's closer in politics to Sanders than Trump is, though that doesn't mean much.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2016, 11:46:33 pm »

How so? I get how Sanders and Trump are similar, but not how Sanders and Clinton are opposite. At least she's closer in politics to Sanders than Trump is, though that doesn't mean much.
Voting for Trump or Clinton is not a protest vote, and will not be considered a protest vote. I am referring to the practice of writing "protest vote" on a write-in ballot to express universal opposition to all the candidates. I do not believe the American public is so docile.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:48:06 pm by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2016, 11:58:43 pm »

Or rather than throwing away your vote in protest, why not make a choice that actually has some, if incredibly small, chance of meaning something and pick a third party to vote for.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2016, 11:59:08 pm »

You do understand that doing that constitutes defamation of the ballot causing the vote to be thrown out don't you? 
And since we're talking about America that means you'll essentially be giving a vote to your opponent, trump is it? Good job.
In Australia our system is slightly different, we call them donkey votes and they're actually added to the total the leading party has.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2016, 12:05:09 am »

And since we're talking about America that means you'll essentially be giving a vote to your opponent, trump is it? Good job.
In Australia our system is slightly different, we call them donkey votes and they're actually added to the total the leading party has.
That's a useful way to subvert democracy. (Weird thing: when I posted this the board ate my post)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2016, 12:08:24 am »

Or rather than throwing away your vote in protest,
Do you actually drink that Kool-Aid?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2016, 12:15:20 am »

You do understand that doing that constitutes defamation of the ballot causing the vote to be thrown out don't you? 
That's the point.  I've also heard it called "Mickey Mousing" after one of the more common write-in options.  You're Australian, and I am given to understand it's illegal there.  However, it's not illegal in the USA, and it is a perfectly valid method of protest.

That said, Bork², voting for Trump can in fact be a protest vote.  A protest vote is any vote undertaken to demonstrate one's dissatisfaction; it is not solely limited to spoiled or blank ballots.  Someone who loathes Hillary might vote Trump not because they support Trump's policies, but as a demonstration of their dissatisfaction with Hillary's nomination.  It, in my opinion, is a rather foolish way to protest-vote, as the post-referendum Brexit uproar should demonstrate quite vividly, but it is still a protest vote.  In my opinion, an optimum protest vote would either be an outright spoiled ballot or, preferably, a third-party candidate that matches your political leanings (Libertarians, Greens, Reform, and perhaps even Constitution, though I'm cynical enough to suspect Trump will be absorbing most of their votes); it sends a message to the big tent parties not only that you're dissatisfied, but the direction in which you want them to go if they want you back.  Plus, you won't be kicking yourself if you actually, by some mischance, somehow win against all odds.

EDIT:
That said, you're quite right in that it's unlikely to be seen as such, unless it happens frequently enough to sway precincts bluer than a...uh...very blue thing.  Doesn't change what it is, but it changes very much the practical effect on the Democratic party leadership.  Another reason not to cast a protest-vote for Trump, I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:22:10 am by Culise »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2016, 12:20:22 am »

That said, Bork², voting for Trump can in fact be a protest vote.  A protest vote is any vote undertaken to demonstrate one's dissatisfaction; it is not solely limited to spoiled or blank ballots.  Someone who loathes Hillary might vote Trump not because they support Trump's policies, but as a demonstration of their dissatisfaction with Hillary's nomination.  It, in my opinion, is a rather foolish way to protest-vote, as the post-referendum Brexit uproar should demonstrate quite vividly, but it is still a protest vote.
The danger inherent to that that option is the fact America doesn't register voter intent at the ballot box, so the vote would be indistinguishable from a real support vote.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2016, 12:22:56 am »

That said, Bork², voting for Trump can in fact be a protest vote.  A protest vote is any vote undertaken to demonstrate one's dissatisfaction; it is not solely limited to spoiled or blank ballots.  Someone who loathes Hillary might vote Trump not because they support Trump's policies, but as a demonstration of their dissatisfaction with Hillary's nomination.  It, in my opinion, is a rather foolish way to protest-vote, as the post-referendum Brexit uproar should demonstrate quite vividly, but it is still a protest vote.
The danger inherent to that that option is the fact America doesn't register voter intent at the ballot box, so the vote would be indistinguishable from a real support vote.
Indeed, my apologies.  I realized that was your intent something like ten seconds after rereading. >_<

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2016, 12:25:48 am »

Indeed, my apologies.  I realized that was your intent something like ten seconds after rereading. >_<
Okay. What you said wasn't offensive.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:35:20 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2016, 12:34:57 am »

Or rather than throwing away your vote in protest,
Do you actually drink that Kool-Aid?
Spoiling your vote is worthless in pretty much every situation, nobody's going to care about half a percent of protest voters when everyone else votes Trullary
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 1249