Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1396180 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16125 on: December 22, 2016, 08:18:03 pm »

So asking the transition team to prepare a summary of programs and laws on the books regarding LGBT people is oppressive to them? I'm sure similar documents exist for most major issues. Or would you have the future President not even know what's going on in his own government?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16126 on: December 22, 2016, 08:22:22 pm »

So asking the transition team to prepare a summary of programs and laws on the books regarding LGBT people is oppressive to them? I'm sure similar documents exist for most major issues. Or would you have the future President not even know what's going on in his own government?

It's the same controversey as the one to the Energy department and EPA, they're singling out staffers that have worked on gender equality stuff, and has all the appearances of a witchhunt.

Though one person quoted in the article says that it's a normal request, so, I don't know.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:25:58 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16127 on: December 22, 2016, 08:36:18 pm »

Today on Twitter, Trump says that the US has to considerably enlarge and strenghten it's nuclear arsenal, 'until the world comes to it's senses regarding nuclear weapons'.

Great, now he abolishes non-proliferation. I wonder if China and or Russia will wait with the nuking until after he is inaugurated.
Just to be sure, I suggest everyone starts running to the nearest nuke shelter.
I know that mine is right down the street, but If it's a direct hit (and there are very few situations where nukes fly around and NYC is not hit directly at least once) it wouldn't even matter anyway. Most of the fallout shelters here are designed to guard against fallout, and lack the shielding to defend against major nuclear weapons. I'd be better off praying for Iron Giant to show up, because if the air-raid warning sirens ever go off I'm already dead.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16128 on: December 22, 2016, 08:49:03 pm »

To my knowledge, no shelter ever built is capable of surviving a direct megaton strike. Extremely close by, yes, but if the shelte is inside the fireball itself, the over pressure will implode just about anything.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16129 on: December 22, 2016, 09:22:32 pm »

To my knowledge, no shelter ever built is capable of surviving a direct megaton strike. Extremely close by, yes, but if the shelte is inside the fireball itself, the over pressure will implode just about anything.

Cheyenne Mountain?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16130 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:08 pm »

Capable of surviving a 30MT within a few kilometers, but diminishing returns in fireball size means that such a bomb might still not create a fireball wide enough, and definitely isn't taking into account ground-penetrating bombs.

Of course, that's mostly immaterial, since the USSR supposedly had a gigaton of ordinance pointed at it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16132 on: December 23, 2016, 01:42:05 am »

Capable of surviving a 30MT within a few kilometers, but diminishing returns in fireball size means that such a bomb might still not create a fireball wide enough, and definitely isn't taking into account ground-penetrating bombs.

Of course, that's mostly immaterial, since the USSR supposedly had a gigaton of ordinance pointed at it.
that has some merit considering they havent existed for the past 25 years
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16133 on: December 23, 2016, 02:20:20 am »

On the topic of firey death, use this fun toy to learn how fuck you are!

For me, if a nuke hit my nearest big city i am in the "50% chance of 1st degree burn" zone! so, depending on the wind, i'm only minorly fucked!
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16134 on: December 23, 2016, 03:34:44 am »

Bah! Luxury problems. I live in the land tha abolished air shelters in the 1980s, and will abolish the air raid siren in 2 years
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16135 on: December 23, 2016, 03:47:55 am »

On the topic of firey death, use this fun toy to learn how fuck you are!

For me, if a nuke hit my nearest big city i am in the "50% chance of 1st degree burn" zone! so, depending on the wind, i'm only minorly fucked!

50% chance of 1st degree burn is like going to the beach and forgetting sunscreen
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16136 on: December 23, 2016, 04:09:51 am »

Bah! Luxury problems. I live in the land tha abolished air shelters in the 1980s, and will abolish the air raid siren in 2 years
If we would all abolish war, that'd be a fine decision.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16137 on: December 23, 2016, 12:04:49 pm »

Apparently, due to extreme gerrymandering shenanigans that Republicans have pulled in North Carolina, its state elections now rank among such pillars of liberty like Iran and Venezuela, and it thus can no longer be classified as a fully functioning democracy. Notably, its "integrity of the voting district boundaries" is literally the lowest in the entire world.

Also, Trump is okay with the idea of a nuclear arms race and is confident in the ability of USA to win it. I guess the nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament treaties are about to be flushed down the toilet.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16138 on: December 23, 2016, 12:35:32 pm »

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm afraid that you've all come late to the party regarding NC's crazy electoral districts. They're already set for redistricting due to violations of election law, including 300-Mile Line Of Black People And Charlotte (the district formerly known as Twelve).

But yes, the GOP here have managed the prestigious achievement of being the single most bastard Republicans not named Trump. When they gained power in the 2008-2012 period, it was the first time in a century they were basically able to operate. Cue, as RK put it, "the diabetic frenzy of children in a closing candy shop". This is where things like HB2, the attempt to codify a state religion, the coal ash scandal, and basically everything else are coming from. The threat of losing out to the Democrats again is so great they're willing to basically do anything. McCrory loses the governorship, all of a sudden the governor shouldn't be an important position. Liberal justices get elected, all of a sudden we need two or five more elected directly by the legislature. If the legislature has quorum by one or two members, no need to respect procedure and pass a law from proposal to signing within a single day.

Fuck's sake, at least the Republicans in Wyoming and Alabama are contented to sit around on their laurels raking in taxpayer dollars and do a whole lot of nothing most of the time. Being a swing state brings out the crazy in people.

Fortunately, I suspect a certain reversal of fortunes for the NC legislature much like under Obama once Trumpmania 2016 gets rolling. Wouldn't mind getting a Third Reconstruction started once his administration comes apart...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:38:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16139 on: December 23, 2016, 12:49:19 pm »

Perhaps I can exploit the situation and become a billionaire selling Trump some second hand nukes. As good as new, only been detonated once. He doesn't seem very bright, he might fall for it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1249