Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394005 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15465 on: December 10, 2016, 06:55:51 pm »

Did someone leave the cavern entrance unguarded? What next, a pond grabber? :D
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15466 on: December 10, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »

Personally I wouldn't say Republican economics are "evil", exactly.  A lack of compassion (health care and welfare) is central, though, justified with naive optimism that people have the chance to "make their own fortunes" through hard work and intelligence...  Even when that means taking down entrenched, barely-regulated megacorps with little capital.
Compassion still has a place, but through blatantly religious channels.

A belief in the power of the free market has long been a touchstone among Republicans.  With the rise of Trump it seems to be waning, but still present.  Republicans will tell you that if the market is allowed to exist with minimal outside influences, that it will result in the most good for the most people.

And Republicans may try to make government uncaring, but they typically donate between 5 and 20 times as much to charities when compared to democrats.  The "joke" I have heard more times than I care to count runs "When I am liberal, I am liberal with my money.  When a politician is liberal, they are likewise liberal with my money."
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15467 on: December 10, 2016, 07:22:06 pm »

Personally I wouldn't say Republican economics are "evil", exactly.  A lack of compassion (health care and welfare) is central, though, justified with naive optimism that people have the chance to "make their own fortunes" through hard work and intelligence...  Even when that means taking down entrenched, barely-regulated megacorps with little capital.
Compassion still has a place, but through blatantly religious channels.

A belief in the power of the free market has long been a touchstone among Republicans.  With the rise of Trump it seems to be waning, but still present.  Republicans will tell you that if the market is allowed to exist with minimal outside influences, that it will result in the most good for the most people.
Yep, that's what I was describing I think.  And I agree to some extent - sometimes safety nets do go too far.  There needs to be enough regulation to provide reasonable standards of safety, environmental damage, and competitiveness (anti-monopoly).  But not too much, or bureacracy and restrictions hamper business more than necessary.

I think the balance is waaay too far Right at the moment, due to naive *over* confidence in the free market.
And Republicans may try to make government uncaring, but they typically donate between 5 and 20 times as much to charities when compared to democrats.  The "joke" I have heard more times than I care to count runs "When I am liberal, I am liberal with my money.  When a politician is liberal, they are likewise liberal with my money."
Waaait what, 5 and 20 times as much?  Surely you might mean percent?
Even considering that a massive amount of that "charitable" donation is funding churches, IE private congregation facilities and evangelism.  Secular charities don't have to balance their aid with promoting a message as missionary work does.

Really though, the crazy part there is 5-20X.  I couldn't find anything close to supporting that...  The reddest states seemed to have about twice as much on charity (adjusted I think) than the bluest states maybe.  And those are extreme cases with clear possible explanations.

I did find a similar funny joke when looking.  Something like "A Republican gave a homeless man $5 for a meal.  A Democrat saw that and, inspired, gave a homeless man directions to the welfare office."  Which is sorta funny in that the Democrat probably did more good...  Obviously that's not the point the joke was going for though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15468 on: December 10, 2016, 07:32:32 pm »

Waaait what, 5 and 20 times as much?  Surely you might mean percent?
Even considering that a massive amount of that "charitable" donation is funding churches, IE private congregation facilities and evangelism.  Secular charities don't have to balance their aid with promoting a message as missionary work does.

Really though, the crazy part there is 5-20X.  I couldn't find anything close to supporting that...  The reddest states seemed to have about twice as much on charity (adjusted I think) than the bluest states maybe.  And those are extreme cases with clear possible explanations.

I did find a similar funny joke when looking.  Something like "A Republican gave a homeless man $5 for a meal.  A Democrat saw that and, inspired, gave a homeless man directions to the welfare office."  Which is sorta funny in that the Democrat probably did more good...  Obviously that's not the point the joke was going for though.

My bad, I misremembered the data.  Looking around quickly I found that liberals average 6% higher income while conservatives give 30% more (which I think was absolute $) to charity.

Edit:  And from the same article where I found that, there was this tidbit:
-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:34:04 pm by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15469 on: December 10, 2016, 07:36:22 pm »

Free market is pretty nice, I would say. Government interference immediately causes it to be less of a free market, though, and the way it is less free can vary from good to bad.

Take a look at where support for Democratic versus Republican deals/policies are, and the characteristics of those areas, and look at how that might influence how and why people think/vote that way.

Rockphed, if you're able to find the median charity donations (and while this is less likely to be findable, to organizations specifically for helping people; not politics, would be the ideal here), that might serve your point better. The meaning seems somewhat...garbled, though. What point exactly are you making?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15470 on: December 10, 2016, 07:39:16 pm »

Free market is pretty nice, I would say. Government interference immediately causes it to be less of a free market, though, and the way it is less free can vary from good to bad.

Take a look at where support for Democratic versus Republican deals/policies are, and the characteristics of those areas, and look at how that might influence how and why people think/vote that way.

Rockphed, if you're able to find the median charity donations (and while this is less likely to be findable, to organizations specifically for helping people; not politics, would be the ideal here), that might serve your point better. The meaning seems somewhat...garbled, though. What point exactly are you making?

That republicans may think that government should not be out helping people, but they typically are going to give of themselves to help others.  The "The government will take care of it" mentality is, in my opinion, mere giving excuse for problems persisting.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15471 on: December 10, 2016, 07:50:49 pm »

That republicans may think that government should not be out helping people, but they typically are going to give of themselves to help others.  The "The government will take care of it" mentality is, in my opinion, mere giving excuse for problems persisting.
Yeah and that makes perfect sense to me, as does the opposite position:  Since I support government spending on welfare, I feel less obligated to send my money to help poor people...  through a missionary organization or otherwise.

I found the charts midway down this rather interesting, though note that they're from 2003/2004.  They're also using "percent of income" rather than raw amounts, and it's going by state.  With the benefit that it's actual numbers instead of people self-reporting.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/10/21/study-conservatives-and-liberals-are-equally-charitable-but-they-give-to-different-charities/?utm_term=.0e561100ef37
DC's an extreme outlier of course, so the dotted line ignores DC.
And Utah is also a notable outlier because of Mormonism, hence the dotted line.

It's about what I expected...  Religious organizations handle most "charity" money altogether, especially from Republican states.  Democratic states were significantly more generous towards 2005 tsunami relief, though. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15472 on: December 10, 2016, 07:51:29 pm »

Deus Vult the tsunami, anyway
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15473 on: December 10, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »

It's about what I expected...  Religious organizations handle most "charity" money altogether, especially from Republican states.  Democratic states were significantly more generous towards 2005 tsunami relief, though.

I vaguely remember being able to put "tsunami relief" on my church's donation forms in late 2005, so it would make sense that democrats who don't attend church would donate directly to relief efforts instead of donating through their church.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15474 on: December 11, 2016, 12:40:11 am »

The government is expected to help with certain problems, because those problems persisted without intervention before hand. Also, you do need some sort of data to decide who needs what. I don't really buy that there are these problems that persists because we're helping people with them, and that they would just magically go away if we let the "free market" deal with them.

Single mothers are apparently one of the go-to topics, with the argument that welfare creates the problem. Except that single motherhood is less common in countries with better welfare arrangements than the USA:
https://spacedoutscientist.com/2015/04/11/single-parents-worldwide-statistics-and-trends/

Australia, which offers a full pension for single mothers, has 16% single-parent households, compared to 25% in the USA. The USA actually has the highest rate of single-parent families in the entire OECD, despite having almost the weakest welfare system of all of them. Clearly, the linear "welfare system causes single motherhood" argument doesn't hold up against international data.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:43:19 am by Reelya »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15475 on: December 11, 2016, 03:03:27 am »

So are we finally going to see a gang war between a Trump-backing FBI and an anti-Trump CIA? Because I really want to see that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15476 on: December 11, 2016, 03:09:18 am »

I hardly see any reason to believe the CIA would be anti-Trump. If anything, they'll be happy to have their leash held by someone who's too weak to pull on it, gives them autonomy.

Regardless, I reiterate what I said about Trump long, long ago during the halcyon days of the primary season: He may well be the lever via which we can tear out the heart of the security state. His base idiocy will lead to him using it in far more hamfisted ways than any other candidate would have, thereby justifying its abolishment in the eyes of the public.

We may be unironically using the word "Detrumpification" two to four years from now, but it might be worth it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15477 on: December 11, 2016, 03:13:15 am »

I hardly see any reason to believe the CIA would be anti-Trump. If anything, they'll be happy to have their leash held by someone who's too weak to pull on it, gives them autonomy.

Regardless, I reiterate what I said about Trump long, long ago during the halcyon days of the primary season: He may well be the lever via which we can tear out the heart of the security state. His base idiocy will lead to him using it in far more hamfisted ways than any other candidate would have, thereby justifying its abolishment in the eyes of the public.

We may be unironically using the word "Detrumpification" two to four years from now, but it might be worth it.

When the heck did Trump need evidence or justified suspicion for his accusations? I mean... He might be a total hypocrite... but at least he is consistent in his ravings.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15478 on: December 11, 2016, 03:20:22 am »

A. That has nothing to do with Trump's accusations.

B. Trump isn't consistent at all in his ravings. One speech it's "arrest the Clintons, Hillary's a traitor and Bill's a rapist" then it's "she's a great woman, and we owe her our thanks". Or "Obamacare is the worst thing to ever happen to America" then "I'm alright with most of Obamacare". Or "Global warming is a hoax by the Chinese" then "Al Gore and I had a very productive meeting".

Dude has had his private face assimilated by his public face. He believes whatever he feels like saying that day.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15479 on: December 11, 2016, 03:54:16 am »

The tendency of people to believe that the best way of fixing things is to let them get worse is perhaps the most counter-intuitive piece of madness ever produced by politics.

If a large number of people voted for Trump, then I refuse to believe that such madness as you suggest is possible.
His base idiocy will lead to him using it in far more hamfisted ways than any other candidate would have, thereby justifying its abolishment in the eyes of the public.
Or maybe Trump will just let them do whatever they want, leading to it becoming far more entrenched than it was previously. You know, what happened under Bush. For eight years. And made things the worst they've ever been. For another four years.

Just consider the possibility that Trump can be easily used by people who know how to manipulate him, and perhaps you will understand the sum of all my fears.
So are we finally going to see a gang war between a Trump-backing FBI and an anti-Trump CIA? Because I really want to see that.
I think that any such war would be one that you and I don't get to see, as much as I like drama between different organizations that could kill me if they wanted to. mainiac was probably our best shot at seeing any sort of war within the intelligience agencies (since obviously he was a shill for the CIA), and with him gone it depends entirely on what spills into the public
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1249