Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390034 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15015 on: December 04, 2016, 08:54:25 pm »

Helgoland told us to stop. So we did.

As for Mike Rowe, well, you should be able to reap the benefits of living under a government and criticize them at the same time.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: December 04, 2016, 08:55:14 pm »

No, we stopped because 2016 iterated again. Everybody will be back up on their feet shortly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: December 04, 2016, 08:59:34 pm »

Wait what just happened - did everyone go to sleep?

Maybe we should talk about Mike Rowe's response to flag burning at colleges? (I found it humorous).

Who is Micro?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: December 04, 2016, 09:05:23 pm »

He's the guy who hosted Dirty Jobs, reasonably strong, responsible voice for a lot of those ugly, stupid "others"

He's pretty far off base here. The Federal Government isn't in the business of punishing actors for speech, especially especially especially political speech. See Texas vs. Johnson and US vs Eichman.

Now, there's a slightly more powerful argument that the US Government could do better things with our money than subsidizing placemat degrees, but that gets into a lot of difficult questions of what qualifies as a placemat degree.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: December 04, 2016, 09:08:33 pm »

Wait what just happened - did everyone go to sleep?

Maybe we should talk about Mike Rowe's response to flag burning at colleges? (I found it humorous).

Who is Micro?
Micro Transaction, CEO of EA-Ubisoft, the man who single-highhandedly destroyed gaming forever.
He's the guy who hosted Dirty Jobs, reasonably strong, responsible voice for a lot of those ugly, stupid "others"

He's pretty far off base here. The Federal Government isn't in the business of punishing actors for speech, especially especially especially political speech. See Texas vs. Johnson and US vs Eichman.

Now, there's a slightly more powerful argument that the US Government could do better things with our money than subsidizing placemat degrees, but that gets into a lot of difficult questions of what qualifies as a placemat degree.
If anything, given the clear fate of labor in this country we should be providing even more funding to secondary education. Shitty degrees are a consequence of that, but if we obliterate degree mills it'll be a minor issue. There's definitely no cause to place enough control over colleges to tell them what degrees they can offer, decentralization is superior.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: December 04, 2016, 09:12:19 pm »

If anything, given the clear fate of labor in this country we should be providing even more funding to secondary education. Shitty degrees are a consequence of that, but if we obliterate degree mills it'll be a minor issue. There's definitely no cause to place enough control over colleges to tell them what degrees they can offer, decentralization is superior.
Why would you give them money? Why not just make barriers to entry lower, so that you get more competition, and have prices lower?

It's not like the education industry is one that gains from economies of scale, where you can make investments in "education capital" that improves education productivity and then lowers the cost of education.  At least, I haven't seen any empirical evidence that that is the case.  Instead it seems the exact reverse - the more money the government throws at eduction, the more expensive it gets...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: December 04, 2016, 09:16:49 pm »

Why would you give them money? Why not just make barriers to entry lower, so that you get more competition, and have prices lower?

It's not like the education industry is one that gains from economies of scale, where you can make investments in "education capital" that improves education productivity and then lowers the cost of education.  At least, I haven't seen any empirical evidence that that is the case.  Instead it seems the exact reverse - the more money the government throws at eduction, the more expensive it gets...
I mean "funding" as an abstract concept of government support. However, they do need extra $$$ for the sake of opening new campuses, which will be necessary for making secondary education as much of a thing as primary. Ideally you'd radically alter barriers to entry. I'm not sure what a good way would be since some of the best things about colleges is that you can go far away and attend one as a young adult, and so it shouldn't be like a public school where you just automatically attend the nearest one. At the same time, changing tuition for cronyism isn't a great idea.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15022 on: December 04, 2016, 09:29:35 pm »

Quote from: Micro
the undeniable fact that no country on the planet affords its citizens more liberty than this one"
lol dude no, nationalism much?

Oh man, this is the guy who did the video interview that my Personal Financial Management teacher showed us, except our version had some home-edited OBAMA CONSPERACIS thrown in.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: December 04, 2016, 10:27:08 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/04/politics/gun-incident-fake-news/index.html?adkey=bn

You know, this reminds me of the whole thing where people kept claiming that Planned Parenthood was selling baby parts and then some crazy guy shot up a clinic saying 'STOP SELLING BABY PARTS! ARGLEBARGLE!'.

While nobody got hurt this time, basic point is that the fake news stuff is going to end up with someone getting hurt sooner or later.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: December 04, 2016, 10:28:50 pm »

This is what happens when those damn kids play too much Shadowrun. God, he didn't even go at night.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15025 on: December 04, 2016, 11:29:54 pm »

... the fact that the person who wrote it was just making it up, maybe?

But hey, if you want to believe everything you read on the internet, and demand an investigation to disprove it before you will disbelieve...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15026 on: December 04, 2016, 11:36:16 pm »

If I see things that I agree with, they're right. Otherwise, I need fourteen published studies confirming the news story, the Pope's written agreement, and the simultaneous freezing over of hell and aerial pigs.

(not attacking anybody, just trying to be funny)
(actually, wait, no, I'm attacking idiots)
(that's socially acceptable, right?)
(these comments are themselves tongue-in-cheek)
(is the meta too extreme?)
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: December 04, 2016, 11:42:22 pm »

I prefer not to believe or disbelieve things until I see evidence one way or the other.

That's kinda my point.
That's not a logical way of looking at things. Most things that could happen don't happen. The default burden of proof is therefore always going to be on the existence of a thing, not its negation. If there's no proof that a pizza company was providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration, and there's no proof that they weren't providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration, then the correct conclusion is that they weren't providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration much in the same way that Vladimir Putin isn't Barrack Obama's secret gay lover though there is no proof one way or another. Only in the provision of evidence does this come into doubt.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: December 04, 2016, 11:43:13 pm »

This is what happens when those damn kids play too much Shadowrun. God, he didn't even go at night.
After reading, that definitely looks like the end product of yer average Shadowrun compound fuckup.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15029 on: December 04, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »

If it's a trustworthy source and it "makes sense," then it's probably fine to skeptically accept it...

...but what use is an article that "makes sense"? If it doesn't surprise you, it doesn't tell you anything new.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1249