Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394348 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14100 on: November 27, 2016, 10:38:44 pm »

Yeah, I'd agree while he may not have been yelling the N-word on the corner, he was actively signaling to racists that he was their man, nudge nudge wink wink.

These premises were proven to be false yet a lot of Democrats seem to want to grasp onto them for some reason. They also seem more interested in insulting and attacking the people that won Trump the election rather than try to figure out why they supported Trump. They're adopting the tried and true Bush tactic of saying "If you're not with us, you're with the insert distasteful group here" which worked so well for the Republicans that it lost them every branch of government back in 2008.

I'd argue this is actually part of a bigger trend where people who are loud about being progressive get ever-more exclusive about whether you're following the rules or not. When they start attacking e.g. atheists for not being the right flavor of atheists, attacking women who aren't the right type of feminists etc, those are warning signs.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:44:56 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14101 on: November 27, 2016, 10:42:49 pm »

I'm far more concerned with Trump as a "tough-on-everything" nationalist than as a semi-closeted white supremacist. That risk, if it exists, is greater in his administration staff than the man himself. And the consequences for everyday people aren't that dissimilar, either.

That said, I'm also going to go ahead and point out that unless Trump really has the secret sauce, this isn't a major turn around for the Republicans long-term. They've got power and not a lot of support for them having it, and that's not even breaching the whole electoral college disaster. Dems do have a distinct demographic advantage, and while it is possible it could be snatched away from them, that again requires Trump having the secret sauce.

If he's a fuckup while actually governing, they're in very, very, very big trouble.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:46:46 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #14102 on: November 27, 2016, 10:52:25 pm »

You could post a respectable conservative link debunking the claims rather than that link. While it's true he wasn't being openly racist in the sense of using slurs and racist terms, he still went out of his way to insult practically every group imaginiable. Not using racist terms, but in a way that was clearly insensitive and anti-minority.

It would help if you actually bothered to read the link (which is coming from, believe it or not, a very strongly anti-Trump source using a parade of citations), but to save some time, here is "anti-minority" Trump talking about African Americans:

It is my highest and greatest hope that the Republican Party can be the home in the future and forevermore for African-Americans and the African-American vote because I will produce, and I will get others to produce, and we know for a fact it doesn’t work with the Democrats and it certainly doesn’t work with Hillary.

When I am President, I will work to ensure that all of our kids are treated equally, and protected equally. Every action I take, I will ask myself: does this make life better for young Americans in Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Ferguson who have as much of a right to live out their dreams as any other child in America?

African-American citizens have sacrificed so much for this nation. They have fought and died in every war since the Revolution, and from the pews and the picket lines they have lifted up the conscience of our country in the long march for Civil Rights. Yet, too many African-Americans have been left behind.

No group in America has been more harmed by Hillary Clinton’s policies than African-Americans. No group. No group. If Hillary Clinton’s goal was to inflict pain on the African-American community, she could not have done a better job. It’s a disgrace. Tonight, I am asking for the vote of every African-American citizen in this country who wants a better future.

And at the end of four years I guarantee that I will get over 95% of the African-American vote. I promise you. Because I will produce for the inner-cities and I will produce for the African-Americans.

America must reject the bigotry of Hillary Clinton who sees communities of color only as votes, not as human beings worthy of a better future.

and Hispanics:

I have just landed having returned from a very important and special meeting with the President of Mexico…we discussed the great contributions of Mexican-American citizens to our two countries, my love for the people of Mexico, and the close friendship between our two nations.

I employ thousands and thousands of Hispanics. I love the people. They’re great workers. They’re fantastic people and they want legal immigration. I’ll take jobs back from China, I’ll take jobs back from Japan. The Hispanics are going to get those jobs, and they’re going to love Trump.

These don't sound like "racist statements" to me. Absolutely not "openly racist" or "actively courting racists".
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:55:05 pm by GreatJustice »
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14103 on: November 27, 2016, 10:57:45 pm »

And, as I've mentioned before, the divisions and fractures in the Republican party are still present, just thinly plastered over atm. The rust belt conservatives being angry at the establishment elite not doing anything is just one of those fractures. We saw how the establishment candidates failed to consolidate their votes while the rest went for Trump.

@GJ: You're cherrypicking.... Wheres the one where he said on illegal Mexican immigrants 'they are all rapists and criminals, but I assume some are good people'? It's paraphrased a bit, but that was one of the very first things out of his mouth when he announced his run.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:00:32 pm by smjjames »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14104 on: November 27, 2016, 11:03:32 pm »

And, as I've mentioned before, the divisions and fractures in the Republican party are still present, just thinly plastered over atm. The rust belt conservatives being angry at the establishment elite not doing anything is just one of those fractures. We saw how the establishment candidates failed to consolidate their votes while the rest went for Trump.

@GJ: You're cherrypicking.... Wheres the one where he said on illegal Mexican immigrants 'they are all rapists and criminals, but I assume some are good people'? It's paraphrased a bit, but that was one of the very first things out of his mouth when he announced his run.

Could you please read the damn article because it's literally pre-empting your counterarguments. But to pull the whole section,

Trump said that:

When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. Their rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

Note how totally non-racist this statement is. I’m serious. It’s anti-illegal-immigrant. But in terms of race, it’s saying Latinos (like every race) include both good and bad people, and the bad people are the ones coming over here. It suggests a picture of Mexicans as including some of the best people – but those generally aren’t the ones who are coming illegally.

Compare to eg Bill Clinton’s 1996 platform:

We cannot tolerate illegal immigration and we must stop it. For years before Bill Clinton became President, Washington talked tough but failed to act. In 1992, our borders might as well not have existed. The border was under-patrolled, and what patrols there were, were under-equipped. Drugs flowed freely. Illegal immigration was rampant. Criminal immigrants, deported after committing crimes in America, returned the very next day to commit crimes again. President Clinton is making our border a place where the law is respected and drugs and illegal immigrants are turned away.

Or John McCain in 2008:

Border security is essential to national security. In an age of terrorism, drug cartels, and criminal gangs, allowing millions of unidentified persons to enter and remain in this country poses grave risks to the sovereignty of the United States and the security of its people.

Trump’s platform contains similar language – and, like all past platforms, also contains language praising legal immigrants:

Just as immigrant labor helped build our country in the past, today’s legal immigrants are making vital contributions in every aspect of national life. Their industry and commitment to American values strengthens our economy, enriches our culture, and enables us to better understand and more effectively compete with the rest of the world.

We are particularly grateful to the thousands of new legal immigrants, many of them not yet citizens, who are serving in the Armed Forces and among first responders. Their patriotism should encourage all to embrace the newcomers legally among us, assist their journey to full citizenship, and help their communities avoid isolation from the mainstream of society. We are also thankful for the many legal immigrants who continue to contribute to American society.

When Democrats and Republicans alike over the last twenty years say that we are a nation of immigrants but that illegal immigrants threaten our security, or may be criminals or drug pushers, they’re met with yawns. When Trump says exactly the same thing, he’s Literally the KKK.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14105 on: November 27, 2016, 11:06:30 pm »

I didn't read it because I've read it already. It was posted in this thread some ways back.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14106 on: November 27, 2016, 11:18:04 pm »

I propose replacing the can in that metaphor with an oil barrel, it being full is optional.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: November 27, 2016, 11:20:51 pm »

I didn't read it because I've read it already. It was posted in this thread some ways back.

But it left so little of an impression that you make arguments that have already been refuted?

All I get from that is that Trump, like every other politician, gives absolutely 0 fucks about legal immigrants and how fucked up the legal immigration process is.

Sure. No one is claiming that Trump is some kind of champion of immigrants or anything. Just that he's about as "openly racist" as pretty much every mainstream politician for the past thirty years or so.

The word "racist" is very powerful and has a lot of dangerous connotations attached to it. Used appropriately, it prevents David Duke from getting into the Senate. But every time it gets used against a Mitt Romney, a John McCain or even a Donald Trump, it loses a little bit of effectiveness. "Racist" becomes less "murderous Klansmen" or "Nazis" or even "David Duke" in the minds of people hearing it and more "Mitt Romney" or "John McCain" or "Donald Trump". If the trend continues, eventually "racist" just means "Republican" or "Conservative" and you've sacrificed the ability to prevent David Duke from getting into the Senate in exchange for some short term political benefit.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:34 pm »

The word "racist" is very powerful and has a lot of dangerous connotations attached to it. Used appropriately, it prevents David Duke from getting into the Senate. But every time it gets used against a Mitt Romney, a John McCain or even a Donald Trump, it loses a little bit of effectiveness. "Racist" becomes less "murderous Klansmen" or "Nazis" or even "David Duke" in the minds of people hearing it and more "Mitt Romney" or "John McCain" or "Donald Trump". If the trend continues, eventually "racist" just means "Republican" or "Conservative" and you've sacrificed the ability to prevent David Duke from getting into the Senate in exchange for some short term political benefit.

Good thing we have stalwart warriors like you preventing the common folk from misusing the word 'racist' to refer to people who don't like black people, instead of its true meaning.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14109 on: November 27, 2016, 11:32:49 pm »

Good thing we have stalwart warriors like you preventing the common folk from misusing the word 'racist' to refer to people who don't like black people, instead of its true meaning.

So Mitt Romney, John McCain and Donald Trump don't like black people?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14110 on: November 27, 2016, 11:42:43 pm »

I never really saw the term 'racist' get applied to McCain or Romney though.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14111 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:34 pm »

I mean, if you want a really easy example of the left being totally wrong, there's the ridiculous claim that Trump was "openly racist", to the point where it seemed like this dumb idea was the biggest thing Trump opponents kept bringing up.
Ugh, not that article again. I agree that the focus shouldn't have been on his racism - but come on, this is twenty-first century politics, don't go expecting nuance or sense.

Oh, sure, he's not "openly" racist. And the immigration thing is more... immigration-y than racism. Certainly racism and anti-immigration correlate, but anti-immigration doesn't make Trump racist.

It's the "you're a Mexican-American, you shouldn't be a judge." It's how he refused to rent to African Americans. It's this:

“And isn’t it funny. I’ve got black accountants at Trump Castle and Trump Plaza. Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” O’Donnell recalled Trump saying. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

“I think the guy is lazy,” Trump said of a black employee, according to O’Donnell. “And it’s probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.”

It's how he's a birther. It's how he eats a taco bowl and says "I love Hispanics!" It's how he says “they don’t look like Indians to me... They don’t look like Indians to Indians.” It's how, after a BLM protestor is beaten up, he says “Maybe [the protester] should have been roughed up,” and “It was absolutely disgusting what he was doing.” It's how he stereotypes Jews. It's how he uses his African American supporters as tokens (“look at my African American over here”).

Yeah. He's pretty fucking racist. But he never said the word "n*gg*r", so on second thought he's actually okay! /sarcasm
In terms of "who is more inaccurate more often", economics is generally a wash (it's worth noting that econ majors tend to lean towards the Republicans), most things religious are better for the left (albeit regardless of how dumb creationism is, it's really irrelevant to the vast majority of people whether they learn evolution or not in schools), and I find that whoever considers themselves to be "in power" or "the majority" tends to get a lot worse on civil liberties, free speech, centralization, etc. The left is better on some matters of basic scientific literacy, but again, whether their actual policies are any better is up in the air.
...not really. Liberals acknowledge global warming - that alone sets them far above Trump and his bros, and their policies reflect this IIRC. Not that liberals are supergreat, I mean they're all corrupt honestly, but they're my team dammit! :P
So far as examples of liberals being smug, the silliness immediately before the election (Hillary being predicted to be basically guaranteed the presidency
Oh, FFS, wrong =/= smug. It was the un-PC effect - nobody's going to tell a pollster that they voted for Trump of all people (And on the more conspiratorial side, I suspect some shady action from those Russians...)
+ the racism silliness)
And how is that smug?
and the claims made after the election ("Trump won because of RACIST WHITE PEOPLE")
The usual SJW idiots. No sane liberal claimed that RACIST WHITES won Trump the election. And if they did, they're No True Liberal :P
come to mind. I think it's gotten a lot worse since 2012, since Democrats just kind of assumed that the Obama coalition would last indefinitely and that demographics guaranteed them victory
...not really? Why do you say that? Give evidence, c'mon.
("Those damn old white people are the only ones that vote Republican and they're a shrinking demographic so we can win easily no matter what"). Except this doesn't work out because

* This assumes the Democrats can win 60-70%+ of Hispanics and 90%+ of African Americans forever

* It also assumes that young voters trend Democrat and stay Democrat for the rest of their lives

* It forgets that the Obama coalition actually included a pretty large number of white voters (esp. union members)

These premises were proven to be false yet a lot of Democrats seem to want to grasp onto them for some reason.
It's a troubling misconception, but it's certainly not new. "Just wait til the oldies die" is as old as dirt, and about as wrong as calling dirt "air".
They also seem more interested in insulting and attacking the people that won Trump the election rather than try to figure out why they supported Trump.
Blanket un-supported statement. There are a bunch of bitter and angry loud people on Facebook, but they aren't representative of liberals.
They're adopting the tried and true Bush tactic of saying "If you're not with us, you're with the insert distasteful group here" which worked so well for the Republicans that it lost them every branch of government back in 2008.
The enemy is certainly distastefully racist, yes. As for the "with us or against us," it's a problem, yes, but as you say, it's not exclusive to liberals. Heh, quite the opposite. It's more of a "human" issue than a "liberal" issue.

Yeah, I'd agree while he may not have been yelling the N-word on the corner, he was actively signaling to racists that he was their man, nudge nudge wink wink.

These premises were proven to be false yet a lot of Democrats seem to want to grasp onto them for some reason. They also seem more interested in insulting and attacking the people that won Trump the election rather than try to figure out why they supported Trump. They're adopting the tried and true Bush tactic of saying "If you're not with us, you're with the insert distasteful group here" which worked so well for the Republicans that it lost them every branch of government back in 2008.

I'd argue this is actually part of a bigger trend where people who are loud about being progressive get ever-more exclusive about whether you're following the rules or not. When they start attacking e.g. atheists for not being the right flavor of atheists, attacking women who aren't the right type of feminists etc, those are warning signs.
Hmm, odd. I think the opposite is true. Warning signs would be when someone assumes that just because someone labels themselves feminists/atheists/etc. they are immune to criticism regardless of what kind of person they actually are.
I know, that's a worrying trend in liberalism today. Especially when people are quick to call any disagreement "sexist" or similar. Regressive left and shit, cuuuuuuurse you.

But... what "true" meaning is he even using, and how exactly is Romney racist? I don't remember that...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: November 27, 2016, 11:46:41 pm »

I never really saw the term 'racist' get applied to McCain or Romney though.
McCain got some, but that was mostly people venting rage in every direction due to Bush's unpopularity and him running against a black candidate. That was probably around the peak of people believing Republican is equivalent to racism, as opposed to it now being a rather partisan thing.

Romney, as I recall from his immensely boring campaign, was criticized more along the lines of "hates poor people, and therefore functionally hates many black people". But that election was also such an incorrigible snoozefest that it probably didn't matter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14113 on: November 27, 2016, 11:51:28 pm »

Wait are we rewriting history again that Trump WASN'T openly racist because he won?

Wasn't he the one who said that all illegal [Mexican] immigrants are rapists and murderers (err wait SORRY that Mexico... was sending their rapists and murderers)? As well as the one who said that in response to ISIS (a Non-Islamic Organization) we should keep out Muslims?

Wasn't the problem more that the rhetoric was so overly focused on Trump being a racist and everyone who votes for him being a racist... that it eventually got old and not only reversed but it made Trump look like the hero for not shying away from his true feelings?

Though once again... given the argument has become "Trump is so incompetent he couldn't possibly win the election. Liberals had to win it for him" I guess I should take it with a grain of salt. Even the Republicans don't want to believe Trump actually won on his own merits :P
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:56:17 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14114 on: November 27, 2016, 11:56:36 pm »

In the sense of 'openly racist' as in spouting racist slurs, no, he never did any of that (women are another matter however).

But yeah, the overly focusing on him being racist and labelling his supporters as racist (or 'baskets of deplorables')rather than focusing on his policies is one reason why the Dems lost.
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1249