Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393626 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14040 on: November 27, 2016, 03:41:55 pm »

Also, the fact that Russia isn't communist makes it much less taboo for various people to latch onto Putin's word, since he's just the run-of-the-mill authoritarian dictator that western countries have long been hypocritical in supporting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14041 on: November 27, 2016, 04:07:21 pm »

It really isn't all that surprising that Russia and so many movements across the world are against the liberal world order, it is the only world order since commies died. Thus if any anti-establishment candidate pops up, there is only one order to be against

Common sense ppl

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14042 on: November 27, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »

It really isn't all that surprising that Russia and so many movements across the world are against the liberal world order, it is the only world order since commies died. Thus if any anti-establishment candidate pops up, there is only one order to be against

Common sense ppl

well given that most news thingys (papers networks ext.) are at least left leaning, it does make sense to think that there is a liberal propaganda machine fit to rebel against.

Counterpoint: Have you considered that Putin has completed forging the One Ring, and now seeks to corrupt and subjugate the rest of peaceful Liberal Earth because he's the prime servant of an evil angel?

man i wish it was that simple.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14043 on: November 27, 2016, 04:27:50 pm »

I think that the reason news has a liberal bias is that reality has a liberal bias...Factually, conservative points are often wrong.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14044 on: November 27, 2016, 04:33:13 pm »

I think that the reason news has a liberal bias is that reality has a liberal bias...Factually, conservative points are often wrong.

Damn wrongthinkers. World would be perfect if everyone just listened to the right people.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14045 on: November 27, 2016, 04:35:16 pm »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/trump-illegal-voting-clinton-231860

Oh FFS, if he is still claiming rigged, he needs to do an audit/recount/whatever of everything to prove that.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14046 on: November 27, 2016, 04:36:22 pm »

Damn wrongthinkers. World would be perfect if everyone just listened to the right people.

how dare other people think diferently.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: November 27, 2016, 04:37:22 pm »

Common sense ppl

It's surprising the way those movements align though, like the way that Russia got both right- and left-wing supporters in the anti-liberal movements.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14048 on: November 27, 2016, 04:42:57 pm »

Common sense ppl

It's surprising the way those movements align though, like the way that Russia got both right- and left-wing supporters in the anti-liberal movements.
That's because separately, they wouldn't stand a chance. What Russia does is saying "hey, you need to unite and defeat them liberals, first", and they simply listen to their good advice. That's why I've said that Russian actions act as a crystallizer for pro-Russian movements, yes.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14049 on: November 27, 2016, 04:44:08 pm »

A man in Saudi Arabia goes to read the news, it is biased towards Saudi Arabia and Sunni Islam, that its journalists are students of Sunni theology and employed by Saudis has nothing to do with it: Reality has a Saudi bias
A man in the PRC goes to read the news, it is biased towards the PRC and communism, that its journalists are students of Marxism and employed by the PRC has nothing to do with it, reality has a PRC bias.
e.t.c., pretty deluded to think reality literally revolves around your biases. Worse still, it's the most hideous smugness exhibited in its purest, which is why liberals are so despised
despised
Liberalism does not demand much of people, yet its adherents manage to find themselves despised for their insufferable smugness
gg gj napoleon rolls in his grave

Oh yeah, Putin controlled Jill Stein, Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump. All of them, Putin pawns. That they just so happened to be all the opponents of Hillary Clinton is pure coincidence, she had loads of political interest in calling all of her opponents foreign agitators in her race to Presidency but nah, she must be telling the truth :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14050 on: November 27, 2016, 04:50:25 pm »

Yeah, only liberals can be smug. ive literally never heard of conservatives being smug; just doesn't happen.

don't really see the point you're trying to make here

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14051 on: November 27, 2016, 04:56:02 pm »

I've heard... was it Frumple? Yeah, I think it was Frumple. Anyway, Frumple talked about how liberals have actually pushed very hard for helping the working man over the last several decades, with conservatives doing their best to prevent that. But then the working man sees... very little happening for them, and so deduces that liberals don't care about him. He's wrong. (Correct me if that wasn't F, or if that wasn't what F said.)

I'm saying that people are wrong. Is that smug, really? That's a nice way of putting it. It lets you dismiss liberalism as "those smug ivory-tower coastal elites." Keep that bubble going, LW, don't let any reality in
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: November 27, 2016, 04:58:02 pm »

@LW(on phone, so, too clunky to quote edit) : I get that the eliteism (the Clintons for example) is part of the reason why liberals are despised, along with ignoring the working class, but that article didn't really go into depth on why liberals are so despised, at least not yet, still reading it.

@Doze: Yeah it was frumple.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14053 on: November 27, 2016, 05:00:05 pm »

Yeah, only liberals can be smug. ive literally never heard of conservatives being smug; just doesn't happen.
don't really see the point you're trying to make here
Read the article
There is a smug style in American liberalism. It has been growing these past decades. It is a way of conducting politics, predicated on the belief that American life is not divided by moral difference or policy divergence — not really — but by the failure of half the country to know what's good for them.

In 2016, the smug style has found expression in media and in policy, in the attitudes of liberals both visible and private, providing a foundational set of assumptions above which a great number of liberals comport their understanding of the world.

It has led an American ideology hitherto responsible for a great share of the good accomplished over the past century of our political life to a posture of reaction and disrespect: a condescending, defensive sneer toward any person or movement outside of its consensus, dressed up as a monopoly on reason.
Coming right after 'reality has a liberal bias' it is easy to see the point, even if you disagree. Liberal media tells all its liberal viewers that they're smarter than everyone else, and results come in: they agree

I'm saying that people are wrong. Is that smug, really? That's a nice way of putting it. It lets you dismiss liberalism as "those smug ivory-tower coastal elites." Keep that bubble going, LW, don't let any reality in
I live in the epicenter of the global liberal world, am posting on a forum that is mostly progressive, spent my life in liberal education and liberal workplaces, out of everyone I know on a second name basis only three are not liberals

tfw bubble

your smug is too real

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14054 on: November 27, 2016, 05:08:07 pm »

It may not be smugness from an objective viewpoint, but it is certainly seen as such from their subjective one, and, as we have already seen in this election, perception really fucking matters. If you want to influence the world, it's optimal to learn how to present your viewpoint in a way that will make it most accessible to the person you're talking to.

Otherwise you'll keep getting blindsided with Trump after Trump coming to power in all Western countries, with Putin and his ilk cackling at the backstage at the liberals' repeated failure to reverse the slide into unpopularity, as the new conservative world order continues to rise and destroy everything you love and care about.

Do you want that?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1249