Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393538 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13005 on: November 16, 2016, 03:43:57 pm »

Really?!  I am so happily surprised!

That's at least some good news in all this madness.

Not good that forests are on fire, but good it wasnt caused by human stupidness.
I mean, it was caused by climate change, so no.
are you so sure

aaaaaarrrrrssssoooonnnn
Yes, I am sure that a thousand acres of mountainous forest were not burned by arson.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: November 16, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »

You KNOW what I meant MSH. >.>

LOL

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: November 16, 2016, 03:49:13 pm »

Yes, I am sure that a thousand acres of mountainous forest were not burned by arson.
uh

Actually, what's going on right now's apparently been identified as started/notably contributed to by arson. Some folks have been caught, others being looked for. Obviously enough most of it's due to conditions, but this time you actually get to blame people a fair bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: November 16, 2016, 03:55:41 pm »

I wonder how the people currently rioting in the streets would react if the election had gone the other way, and Trump supporters did as they are doing now.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:40 pm »

Depends on how the riots were framed, I would suppose.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13010 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:54 pm »

I wonder how the people currently rioting in the streets would react if the election had gone the other way, and Trump supporters did as they are doing now.
martial law

uh
Actually, what's going on right now's apparently been identified as started/notably contributed to by arson. Some folks have been caught, others being looked for. Obviously enough most of it's due to conditions, but this time you actually get to blame people a fair bit.
Yeah when you play with fire you only need to drop it once to set north carolina on fire

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: November 16, 2016, 04:09:36 pm »

Protests =/= riots, define it correctly :P

Probably much of the same though.

THe only way to meet the basic needs of that many humans, in that small a footprint, is to build UPWARDS (or downwards, but that has other problems.)-- that means "walls of concrete, glass, and steel".

Even with those materials, there are fundamental limits on how tall you can build a tower. Ergo, there are limits to how large you can grow a city, and how many people you can pack inside.

There have been a bunch of huge arcology style skyscrapers which have farms inside them to help with sustainability, but none have gone beyond the concept stage that I'm aware of.

Also, nano-carbon construction would be viable.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: November 16, 2016, 04:11:14 pm »

There is definitely rioting going on. Don't deny that.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: November 16, 2016, 04:14:48 pm »

Some of them are riots, anyway. Some have been and still are pretty peaceful, and few are somewhere in between. It's not like there's just one protest.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 04:23:30 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13014 on: November 16, 2016, 04:20:10 pm »

Some of them are riots, anyway. Some have been and still are pretty peaceful, and few are somewhere in between. It's not like there's just one protest.

FTFY. Otherwise you're just one of those weirdos who makes their posts look weird.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: November 16, 2016, 04:20:34 pm »

SMJJ:

There is not a viable process to produce carbon nanotubes at arbitrary lengths.  That makes the material theoretical, not real. It is still unobtainium.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: November 16, 2016, 04:30:10 pm »

Not fair to label all of them riots though.

Anyways, House Republicans want to bring back 'earmarks', aka 'porkbarrel projects', after they banned them five years ago.

Politico article.

Retiring Senator Reid (Democrat) wants them back too, or at least misses them.

If they want to bring them back, it's going to have to be carefully regulated so that things don't become as bad as they were in the 90's and 00's

SMJJ:

There is not a viable process to produce carbon nanotubes at arbitrary lengths.  That makes the material theoretical, not real. It is still unobtainium.

I may have been thinking of carbon fibre or carbon-composite, but yes, you're right, we haven't figured out how to make carbon nanotubes long enough to do the needed work.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: November 16, 2016, 04:32:23 pm »

Paul Ryan on earmarks: Not so fast guys, nope, this is no-go.

Edoot: It's only a postponent, but yeah anyhow.....

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: November 16, 2016, 04:32:32 pm »

I don't actually understand what the protests are protesting, actually. Protesting that we have an electoral college? Protesting that people didn't vote the way they did?

I don't get it - I mean, I can understand protesting when the government actually does something - but right now it just feels like those "protests" when your favorite sports team lost their championship or something.  I can even understand having a demonstration to try and convince the government to take a particular action.

Maybe someone with better understanding than I can explain it... I just can't wrap my head around it.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: November 16, 2016, 04:34:24 pm »

They are angry, and want redress.  That is their right.

However, the redress they want (Give us clinton!), is not an option, and as a rule, the US government does not give in to demands via terrorism, which is what riots are.

The protesting is impotent, because the redress sought cannot be given.

The rioting is absurd, because they are demanding an absurdity, and threatening violence.
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1249