Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: that's deep, man  (Read 5625 times)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
that's deep, man
« on: July 04, 2016, 08:48:09 am »

Wherein we post insights we have found deep in meditation upon the mysteries of the universe

I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

This is not only a clever snowclone of "Grammar Nazi", but also the polar opposite of Grammar Nazism.

There are two opposing camps when it comes to the study of linguistics -- linguistic prescriptivism and linguistic descriptivism. Linguistic perscriptivism is the attempt to prescribe, i.e. dictate and standardize language, dialect, and usage based on criteria such as clarity, aesthetics, and cultural purity. Linguistic descriptivism, on the other hand, permits language to evolve on its own, and merely records the results. This, of course, is an oversimplification, but these two approaches to linguistics are diametrically opposed, and the middle ground between them does form a sort of sliding scale -- much like the traditional right-left model of politics, which puts fascism on the far right and communism on the far left.

Thus, we can say that Grammar Nazism is the extreme of linguistic prescriptivism, idealizing a world where the language and its usage by all speakers is frozen in time in a perfect state, whereas Grammar Communism is the extreme of linguistic descriptivism, idealizing a world where the dictionary is filled with net slang, emoji, and the most fleeting of trendy buzzwords.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: that's deep, man
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 08:56:35 am »

ptw 2deep4u

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 08:59:41 am »

I think I made a thread like this a while back.

It crashed and burned.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:00:24 am »

Isn't the fate of all threads to die?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:00:45 am »

All threads die. Not all threads live.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:01:39 am »

Valar threadghulis.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:02:33 am »

All threads die. Not all threads live.
see, this is the sort of post I had in mind when I made this thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 09:52:55 am »

Bet you thought it was a game

Also isn't an important part of marxism that language can be divided into speech for the oppressed and speech against them?  YOu missed hte part where the grammar communists use their power to declare any words they don't like enemies of the working vocabulary and send them to word gulags.
Shoes...

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 10:20:57 am »

Dude, have you ever looked, I mean really looked at things? Like, you know, shoes, goats, walls, fish, plants, body parts... things like that? It's like, wow, this is some deep shit right here, man. I could spend the rest of my life just looking at things.
Quote from: Aldous Huxley
These are the sort of things people ought to look at. Things without pretensions, satisfied to be merely themselves, sufficient in their suchness, not acting a part, not trying, insanely, to go it alone, in isolation from the Dharma-Body, in Luciferian defiance of the grace of God.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 10:28:35 am »

I was sitting with my bro waiting for the fireworks yesterday when an 8 year old went past us, walking over the rocky part of the shore where he might have slipped and hurt himself.  I was like "Dont slip dude".  And the kid told me "eight year old have a mind of their own."  that's deep, man
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 10:29:39 am »

Make thread. Get treat. Nod.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 11:45:49 am »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 12:42:59 pm »

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5