Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: [Players needed] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence  (Read 14937 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Players needed] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2016, 10:56:47 pm »

The levers are uh...Kind of far away. 26 tiles from first doggy versus ~ 75 tiles from center of tavern. Curse of multiple overseers, I suppose.
Yep. I didn't try to build any reasonable fortress interior, other than space that had to be dug for storage. Because there are so many levers, they are located directly above whatever bridge they control whenever possible.

The idea was mostly to clean up what was missing from year 1 and not impose any design ideas on whoever came next. (Other than a beefy defense if they care to use it.)

Not that it matters much with caravan bridge being down..

Re-downloaded the save to check. Those bridges are raised and impassible. I think you're reading it wrong there.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2016, 02:18:48 am »

Dorf me as a Miner/Swordsdwarf, Please
Added you to dorf list !

:O

IT'S ALIVE!!!
Looks like it is indeed ! :O

So, is someone playing atm ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2016, 05:12:02 am »

@gchristoper: Well that is odd. Since it should be "Blocked" if raised. Perhaps this is due being multi-tile bridges? I usually check 1-tile ones.

@Spriggans: Not to my knowledge. Want a turn?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »

@gchristoper: Well that is odd. Since it should be "Blocked" if raised. Perhaps this is due being multi-tile bridges? I usually check 1-tile ones.

I wasn't aware there was ANY non-dfhack way to directly inspect a 1-long bridge to see if it is raised. I thought you just had to figure it out by seeing if it blocks pathing. That would be neat if there was a trick that works. My workaround is to usually build raising bridges to be at least 2-long so they visually change when raised. The ones on the map edge are 1x5, so raising is indistinguishable, visually. Maybe the map edge affects the message you see? What were you trying to build?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2016, 03:51:07 pm »

A floor. I usually try with a statue (or nest box), though, but there are no unbuilt statues or nest boxes in CurseKnowledge. Ex:

Raised is Blocked:

Lowered is Building Present:

Of course, if the raising bridge blocks path to your fort, you could also try to build something after it - if all walkable paths to your fort are blocked, you shouldn't get access to in-fort resources.

I'm not aware of a dfhack method to inspect this, though. Do you use gui/gm-editor for that?

(Aaand rechecking now, floor is a building present on both cases. In Construction menu, Track Stop works however has the "too close to edge" problem.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:55:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »

I use furniture (cabinet, armor stand, weapon rack) to test 1 tile raising bridges similar to Fleeting Flames' images. 

Blocked means it is raised, functioning like a wall.
Building Present means it is down, and path-able.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2016, 04:22:35 pm »

You two sirs, just answered a question I had for a long time.
I too used to build at least 2 wide bridges. This furniture trick I will defenitely use ! :)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2016, 04:39:11 pm »

Well, don't go overboard. On the same note, even though I like DFHack's gui/mechanisms I would try to avoid building a 25-tile room full of 25 gabbro levers.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2016, 07:28:06 pm »

Hello?

*poke*

Is it alive, or was the declaration premature?

:( 
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »

It is as alive as you're willing to put in the effort to be
Yeah, the thread is kind of dead -.-'
At this point, this is just : if someone wants to play the save, please do so. :-X

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2016, 07:43:54 pm »

I don't have DF, and I doubt I would have the ability to do anything with the game if I did, let alone this save. :-\
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »

I don't have DF, and I doubt I would have the ability to do anything with the game if I did, let alone this save. :-\
That's perfect for a community game! Download DF and go for it! Therapist should be working for 43.05 now, so it'll be a million times easier to be sure you've got the labors right.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:10 pm »

I think CurseKnowledge is a little more of an advanced community game with harder rules. It looks like a challenge fort intended for players who are already pretty knowledgeable of game mechanics.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2016, 04:37:59 pm »

I think CurseKnowledge is a little more of an advanced community game with harder rules. It looks like a challenge fort intended for players who are already pretty knowledgeable of game mechanics.
C'mon, it's still a community game. Who's going to complain if all the dwarves are on on fire, trapped riding in moving minecarts that are also on fire? (Bad example. That, sadly, would take a more advanced player to make happen.)

The only special annoying task is turning labors off for new migrants, which Therapist should handle easily.

Plus, nobody has really built much of a fort yet. The next player can do whatever they want. Take a turn!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2016, 05:00:14 pm »

I don't like killing of dwarfs because the rules allow "gaming" the rules to spread the knowledge.

I mean, I can accept my named dwarf dying due to fun, or even from feigned overseer incompetence. 

But then, where would my vested interest be when the Sanctume Metalcrafter has created enough metal minecarts/stuff is no longer needed and ordered to pull a lever to be erased just so 1 free labor point is available? 

I like the idea of CursedKnowledge because it's a challenge.  I've made my own version(s), but without deliberate killing--and the starting 7 with 2 skills each is a crucial foundation to building the fort. 

The early game and concept itself is a fun puzzle, full compromises and long term planning.  So even when playing solo, it is frustratingly slow because of the limitations inherent in the rules. 

This is similar to the Tech Challenge where 1 tech building is allowed for each dwarf caravan visit. 

It goes like this: all labors are allowed, and all items obtained are usable.  But building the workshop requires a learned tech; and there's some prerequisites for other Tech like wood burner/smelter - forge - magma forge.

Anyway, I just sharing my thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10