Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: System Shock Kickstarter  (Read 3006 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
System Shock Kickstarter
« on: June 29, 2016, 02:41:16 am »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

So they want to reboot System Shock.
There is a demo:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/agecheck
https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/system-shock

I never got around to playing the '94 System Shock, so this has definitely peaked my interest.

Discuss.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: System Shock Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:12:28 am »

Well now. There's a... shock.

I played a bit of System Shock 2, but the arcane UI and some of the gameplay conventions confused the slippers off of me, so if the first game was similar it can definitely use some modernizing. The core ideas and mechanics, and of course the story, were definitely good enough for a modern game.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:40:04 am »

I played the fuck out of SS2 despite the arcane UI and shitty gameplay decisions they made. It was my introduction to sci-fi survival horror. Gonna take a look, thanks for the heads up

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 05:56:48 am »

System Shock blew my fucking mind back in 1995. The CD version with spoken dialogue was awesome, all those desperate radio messages from the survivors and Shodan's mocking... SS2 was awesome as well. A shame time hasn't treated the games kindly and the graphics pretty much make my eyes bleed.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »

Wasn't there already a thread for this? I specifically recall making a terrible 'Spector at the feast' pun.
Just found this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156353.msg6817267#msg6817267
Couldn't find anything about the kickstarter though.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »

Reboot and SS3 are separate projects.
As in, we're getting two new System Shocks.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/28/system-shock-remake-footage/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:22:50 pm by Egan_BW »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 04:39:41 pm »

1.7 million for RPG Progression? But I thought System Shock already had that.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 04:52:05 pm »

Wasn't that only in SS2? Same as other stretch goals like the vending machines?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:54:36 pm »

Wasn't that only in SS2? Same as other stretch goals like the vending machines?

Ohh I see so the 1.7mil goal basically puts the system shock 2 features into system shock 1.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 04:55:32 pm »

System Shock blew my fucking mind back in 1995. The CD version with spoken dialogue was awesome, all those desperate radio messages from the survivors and Shodan's mocking...

Yep.

Some things notably missing from the video:

-  ability to adjust the power level on the sparq beam
-  ability to change your posture, duck, lean around corners for stealth / cover

I guess it could adopt the kind of crouch / corner-lean features seen in most modern tom-clancy-brand shooters, rather than using the archaic SS1 style interface (ha!) but without that sneaking and stealth, it seems to be more of a straight up action shooter rather than a survival horror game.

I'm also not keen on directly pushing the keypad buttons and clicking on the wiring puzzles.  Sure, it looks nice, but I think it would get old after a while.  Would be much easier to have a traditional popup interface with big icons in predictable locations to click on... rather than whatever odd angle you happen to be looking at the tiny panel from.

There is also the SS1 enhanced edition, which is basically a cleaned up / repackaged version of that fan made SSPortable hack.  Looks pretty good, and it is still the same game so you get all those old features that probably won't make it into the remake.  They even added mouse-look!  Imagine playing a first person game without mouselook, and then try complaining about the SS2 interface!  Haha!

edit:  ah, i see weapon modes and ammo types are a stretch goal.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:09:15 pm by puke »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 06:04:33 pm »

...If they have game features like that on stretch goals, I'm unsure if they have a very good plan.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 08:29:50 am »

Jim Sterling's video shows you can in fact change the power levels on the Sparq beam.

...If they have game features like that on stretch goals, I'm unsure if they have a very good plan.
All of those features were not in the original System Shock and would as such be extra features for the remake. None of them are really core to the experience, just extra things to have. Except for the vending machines, that's kind of silly to have as a stretch goal.

Actually I can't even imagine that SS1 would work particularily well with an RPG progression system as it was less of a RPG and more of a castlevania game (i.e. your progress was hindered by lack of items, not levels in a skill), so it'd probably require a thorough rework of the game systems to be more in-line with System Shock 2's way of doing things.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 09:18:05 am »

System Shock blew my fucking mind back in 1995. The CD version with spoken dialogue was awesome, all those desperate radio messages from the survivors and Shodan's mocking...

Yep.

Some things notably missing from the video:

-  ability to adjust the power level on the sparq beam
-  ability to change your posture, duck, lean around corners for stealth / cover

I guess it could adopt the kind of crouch / corner-lean features seen in most modern tom-clancy-brand shooters, rather than using the archaic SS1 style interface (ha!) but without that sneaking and stealth, it seems to be more of a straight up action shooter rather than a survival horror game.

I'm also not keen on directly pushing the keypad buttons and clicking on the wiring puzzles.  Sure, it looks nice, but I think it would get old after a while.  Would be much easier to have a traditional popup interface with big icons in predictable locations to click on... rather than whatever odd angle you happen to be looking at the tiny panel from.

There is also the SS1 enhanced edition, which is basically a cleaned up / repackaged version of that fan made SSPortable hack.  Looks pretty good, and it is still the same game so you get all those old features that probably won't make it into the remake.  They even added mouse-look!  Imagine playing a first person game without mouselook, and then try complaining about the SS2 interface!  Haha!

edit:  ah, i see weapon modes and ammo types are a stretch goal.

You can lean in the demo, (q and e), you can crouch and you have two fire modes for the beam.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 09:29:11 am »

Say, that playable demo does look nifty. SS2's glory is still burned into my mind forever due to early childhood exposure, and maybe with this I might be able to get into SS1 as well. Here's hoping.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 04:31:03 am »

I played SS2 fresh a while back, and confirm that it's actually really good and not just viewed through rose-tinted goggles.

I could never get into the first game, but I'm not sure that this will be my gateway if some of the stretch goals are just "make it more like the original game".
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2