Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 62227 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #255 on: December 22, 2016, 06:21:46 pm »

I guess Imic can slaughter dingoes?

The dingoes ended up staying far away and didn't bother us.  So I decided not to bother them.

o Hm, a shield?

Only thing is...I recently looked for reasearch of effect of quality of shields for blocking. I discovered that
a) The latest research on it is from 0.31.
b) In that research, shield quality didn't affect block chance beyond margin of error (and not sure which way, as the images are lost).

I don't think anything has changed in the interim.

o Woodcutters forging their own axes? Fitting and beneficial :)

And ensures that if he gets a mood, I'll get an artifact weapon out of him.  Far more useful than a crafter, long term.

o If you used wood blocks for pumps, the immigrant carpenter could finish building them while Airith worked on next one.

Except that there are already far too many demands on our wood.  So yes, the pumps are made using stone blocks.  Remember that veritable mountain of rock I embarked with?  I had my reasons.

o First 1/2 of each calendar month or first 1/2 of each werebeast month?

First 1/2 of each calendar month.  Because that's when dangerous wildlife and kobolds seem to come to call.

Do you use the animal caretaking dfhack plugin to treat the dogs?

It isn't included the version of DFhack I use, and I don't think it was ever updated to work on Macs.  In any case, Libash has stopped bleeding on his own, and his primary injury is that his left rear paw is gone (the poor thing is three-legged now).  I am planning to "retire" him, so that he can live his days out in peace.  He's earned it.  And his own personal alcove when I build Imic's tomb.

o Aha. Two friendly scholars.

And no grudges.

Dwarves are quite accepting, hm?

I'm rping it as the dwarves simply don't want to get to know Akrul at all, so everyone who isn't listed with a specific relationship or as "friendly terms" can be assumed to have a more hostile bent.

o Hm. Windows...Are going far faster this time. With this pace, the quota would have been made last time. What changed?

Last time, more than half of the instruments had to be made out of glass, because the wood would have taken too long.  And we still almost made it.  Fifteen windows.  >:(

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2016, 07:52:19 pm »

Just FYI, the animal hosptalization plugin is new, included in 43.05 alpha (but can probably use on old versions, as long as memory structures are same).

Ah right, the instruments. Forgot about them ^^;;

Skyclimber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 23, 2016, 05:14:19 pm »

Awww, it's alive again!

I made my account just when your hiatus started and wanted to ask for a dorfing etc.

RL interfered with that and I haven't got the time to check on this for far too long.

I really, really love your writing and the whole story set-up! I never thought of the trade-agreements to be more (or to become more in the future) as "We kinda wanted to tell you what we might need next year, so if you have any of that...". It's only reasonable to think that Toady wants to implement some sort of "quest/challenge", did he ever mention something about it?

Since I wanted to humbly ask for a dorfing I hereby just do that: I'd like to be dorfed as one "Sky" if that's fitting, otherwise "Corvus" is fine as well. For professions I have no real preferences, whatever floats your boat or is easiest to implement. Maybe when time goes by and the quotas are easier to fulfill a hammerdwarf career is an option? I might work up the courage to try my hand at some RP, but I'm not promising anything, I know how bad my writers-block can be  :P

I'm so looking forward to the next update!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

01 Granite 83

I saw Libash limping after Imic this morning.  The dog has healed remarkably well, but will carry reminders of his epic fight for the rest of his life.

That missing paw doesn’t seem to be slowing him down very much.  But, the grand little guy has earned a rest.  I told Imic to leave him in the pasture when he’s out on patrol from now on.

04 Granite 83

After much hemming and hawing, NCommander assigned a new dog to Imic, who promptly named him Lòr.  I’ve never seen a more doleful dog than Libash as Imic went out with his new canine partner.

10 Granite 83

And as the year passes, we are once again importuned with their useless presence.

Well, at least we might get some crafts off of them…

I ordered our extra glass tubes and corkscrews moved.  At least Mebzuth has been able to amass a small surfeit of those.  And nothing else lying around here is acceptable given those unreasonable elvish expectations.

12 Granite 83

The merchants arrived at the depot at dawn.

And those pack animals are really poorly behaved.  Apparently, they’re frightened of dead werebeasts.  Who would have guessed? At any rate, as soon as each donkey caught sight of the corpse moldering away in pride of place, it would start rolling its eyes, flaring its nostrils, and prancing and dancing in every direction except toward the depot.

Those elves claim to be masters of nature.  Can’t they train their animals any better than that?

13 Granite 83

The last pack horse was the worst of the lot.  When it spied the corpse, it started rearing and bucking.  In fact, it protested so forcefully that the straps of its packs came loose and the entire load got dumped.

The horse bolted.  The last any of us saw of it, it was galloping hell-bent for leather, with its elven master running far behind, pleading with it to stop.

Masters of nature?  Hah.  The least trained of ours are better behaved than that!  Then again, those that aren’t tend to find themselves at the nearest butchery pretty quickly.  I guess word gets around among dwarven-owned animals.

OOC: I don’t know what happened there.  The pile (represented by the cage) wasn’t there until the elves arrived, and I wasn’t watching at the moment when it actually appeared.  Its magical appearance didn’t affect trading, however.  ???

16 Granite 83

Well, might as well get it over with.  Supercilious nuisances.

As usual, the elves brought a bunch of useless stuff, including more nuts.  But, I did trade for a couple of badgers (one giant), a giant weasel, a giant squirrel, and a giraffe.  I also bought all of the toys, amulets and scepters I could find, as well as all of the legwear and headwear I saw.  After all, why use our supplies if we can send ready-made items?

I’m sure Bomrek will appreciate the variety.

Before Trade:                                                       After Trade:

21 Granite 83

Dr. Urist sat up from her desk, stretching her neck from side to side to work out the kinks from such long hours.  Frowning, she looked up at the ceiling.  I’m missing something.  I know I’m missing something…

She closed her eyes, thinking.

Oh!  Of course!

I need an amulet as part of the design!  If I include it in the quota, and make sure it’s interesting enough for Bomrek to choose for himself…

Rising from her desk, she headed to the nearest unoccupied crafters’.

22 Granite 83

Dr. Urist studied the finished amulet.  It had taken all night to make, but she thought it just might do the job.  Slipping it unobtrusively into her pocket, she went to get a drink.

Now I only have to find the right mixture to coat it with.

28 Granite 83

“Not like that, ye bleedin’ idjits!  Ye act like ye wan’ t’get bit!”  Imic’s drill sergeant yell could be heard halfway across the outpost.

“Bunch’a elves!  Ye cain’ do be’er ’n 'at?  Like this!  Put some oomph into it!  Act like yer lives matter!  ‘Cause trus’ me, they will!

He moved through the sweating, panting dwarves, critiquing the form of one, faking a strike to another.

“Ye git bit by a werecreature, ye become a werecreature!  Dodge, drat yer hides.  Dodge!”

08 Slate 83

“Stop, wait!”  Lotu ran after the departing merchants.  But, clearly overjoyed to finally be getting away from the horrifying werebeast corpse, the pack animals were trotting as quickly as they could, still heavily laden though they were, and the elves were not slow to keep up.

“You forgot something!  Wait!”

Lotu finally drew to a stop.  Hands on his knees, he panted for air.  “Wait!”

But the elvish traders were on a mission.  A mission to escape the nightmare they had glimpsed.  And they weren’t planning on stopping anywhere short of their home forest several days’ journey away.

Lotu turned, looking back down the entranceway to the depot.  That’s going to play havoc with the import numbers.

He sighed.  Well, I guess someone has to pick through that stack and figure out if any of it is actually useable.

11 Slate 83

Up on the ramparts, Besmar paced, crossbow at the ready.  This is the most boring job ever.  But, at least I’m not down in one of the crafters’, with that blasted Akrul breathing down my neck, screaming at me to “work faster!  Work harder!  Make more, More, MORE!”

Suddenly he froze.  Racing to the northern edge, he called down to the militia lazing around near the drawbridge.  “Cap’n Mooney!  Ustuth!  Them keas’re comin’ back!”

The other two marksdwarves bolted to their feet, racing down the entranceway to the nearest set of upward stairs.

19 Slate 83

“Well, that’s a disappointment.”  Mooney murmured mournfully.  The keas seemed to be learning.  Or planning.  Or something.

At any rate, the half dozen or so the marksdwarves had spotted seemed to be keeping their distance from the fort.  Only one of them had gotten close enough to trigger a panic, but had only succeeded in frightening a single muskox cow and her calf before being driven off.

In fact, it had taken longer to repasture the two muskoxen than it had taken to deal with the kea.

16 Felsite 83

Imic seems to have gotten over his pique with Rigoth.  At least, he’s officially raised the newbie to wrestling status.

I suppose beheading a werebeast does give a dwarf a boost when learning fighting skills.

19 Felsite 83

Wet.  No matter what I do, or what I finish, I end up being wet.  I’ve even been building wet walls in my dreams.  Will this ever end?

But, there are signs of progress.

28 Felsite 83

As spring fades into summer, our production continues.  And Akrul has once again descended on my office to yell about the numbers.  What does she expect me to do?  She’s the manager!

Thanks to Rith’s horn contributions, the amulets are now on track, but the figurines aren’t.  Akrul is convinced that some of us are hiding the crafts, so that they don’t show up in her counts.

Now why would Airith anyone do that?

OOC: Well, for a season where I was convinced nothing at all had happened, stuff certainly happened.
Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Newcomers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2016, 05:27:29 pm »

It's only reasonable to think that Toady wants to implement some sort of "quest/challenge", did he ever mention something about it?

Not to my knowledge, but it's one of those things that seems to be part of the whole Caravan/Trade Arc that he was working on for a while.  At least, that's what got me thinking about seeing how possible this kind of challenge would be.

I'd like to be dorfed as one "Sky" if that's fitting, otherwise "Corvus" is fine as well. For professions I have no real preferences, whatever floats your boat or is easiest to implement. Maybe when time goes by and the quotas are easier to fulfill a hammerdwarf career is an option? I might work up the courage to try my hand at some RP, but I'm not promising anything, I know how bad my writers-block can be  :P

Sure!  Do you have any specific dwarf in mind?  If not, Lokum arrived as a hammerdwarf and was promptly re-assigned to the Pale Roads as an axedwarf.  Assuming he survives, once I get around to diversifying the military a bit more I can change him back to a hammerdwarf. 

Rping is as much or as little as you like, absolutely no pressure or expectations.  Some folks, like TheImmortalRyukan, do a fair amount, while others don't do any.  Whatever you're comfortable with.  Even if you don't RP at all, you can request that I write your dwarf a certain way (as Imic has done a few times).  And if you do RP, I try to take my cue for writing your dwarf from whatever you write (it can give me ideas, like with Airith recently).

Thanks for reading!

- Dame de la Licorne

Skyclimber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2016, 05:49:30 pm »

Sure!  Do you have any specific dwarf in mind?  If not, Lokum arrived as a hammerdwarf and was promptly re-assigned to the Pale Roads as an axedwarf.  Assuming he survives, once I get around to diversifying the military a bit more I can change him back to a hammerdwarf. 

Lokum seems to be a fine dwarf for me :) If I do RP I'll look him up, since you provided us with their character screens :) I don't have that much of an idea what he could be like, I think I'd play him as a dwarven warrior with much of his mindset towards war/bashing in greenies or pansy elves :P

Thanks for including me :)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »

Lokum seems to be a fine dwarf for me :) If I do RP I'll look him up, since you provided us with their character screens :) I don't have that much of an idea what he could be like, I think I'd play him as a dwarven warrior with much of his mindset towards war/bashing in greenies or pansy elves :P

Thanks for including me :)

Done!  Which reminds me, I should probably post some updated character/relationship screens...for the claimed dwarves, at least.  *Updates the to-do list.*  Screen-caps coming up!

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2016, 06:36:07 pm »

And as promised, in the order in which they currently appear in the unit list (it is 01 Hematite 83, and I haven't yet started the summer play-through):

Spoiler: Lyra (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky (click to show/hide)

I've also put together a genealogy for our non-founding dwarves, though it's rather bulky to post all at once.  But if anyone wants to see their dwarf's (complete with immediate ancestors and the local bloodline relatives), just say the word.

- Dame de la Licorne

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 23, 2016, 07:00:45 pm »

[OOC: What descendants? Me an you haven't had time to make a baby]

Journal of Airith

In all honesty, aside from the monotonous routine of making pumps and whatnot for my hubby, and making the Dragon Lady's life as miserable as I can, I've noticed that I've been feeling empty. I mean, plotting a revolution and coming up with ways to arrange an accident are entertaining and fun and all, but I'm still missing something.

As I was looking back on my life I found out what it was. I was raised a mite religious you see. My parents always were ardent worshipers of Golastigest and I was raised to fear him and respect him.

[OOS: Can I please know what spheres Golastigest covers]

So, after we finally breach that blasted aquifer, I'm gonna ask my Lotu to add a small chapel to our quarters.

Speaking of, I better find a way to hide all this crap that I've been swipin from random shops to seriously piss off Akrul. She's been fuming and taking it out on Lotu, I would feel bad for him, but her yelling at him and everyone else, only solidifies our position in the hearts of the dwarves.

Also, according to many a-dwarf, I'm actually a very amazing public speaker.... how they know that, as to my notable lack of said speeches, is beyond me. But they claim so, so it must be.

Well, got to go. I'm planning a dinner with family friends Lyra, Mooney, Imic, and NCommander. We've all been really tight with our shared trials, so I figured I would fix a meal. I wonder if we have any Kiwis?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »

[OOC: What descendants?

No, but some of the other dwarves have things like immediate cousins, which none of the founders have.

[OOC: Can I please know what spheres Golastigest covers]

All of our deities and their spheres:

útost Inkygray (útost Likotbel) -> minerals & jewels; 14 worshippers
Urdim the Barricade of Fortresses (Urdim Tholtig Geshud) -> fortresses (duh?); 2 worshippers (including Lotu)
The Barricaded Silks (Tholtignesteth) -> mountains, volcanoes, fire, metals, crafts; 6 worshippers
Legon Gildvault (Legon Oltarubbul) -> wealth & trade; 4 worshippers (including NCommander)
Gorroth the Ferocious Avalanche (Gorroth Nidòstmoldath) -> chaos; 1 worshipper (Dr. Urist) Gwolsfki's avatar is eerily appropriate.
The Tenebrous Glosses (Golastigest) -> inspiration & painting; 3 worshippers (including Airith)
Robek -> nightmares & the night; 17 worshippers
Usen the Good of Trust (Usen Eshon Gamil) -> truth; 2 worshippers (including Lyra)
Lisig -> the seasons; 4 worshippers
The Book of Insight (Thîkut Lûk) -> wisdom; 15 worshippers (including Imic & Mooney)

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:20:11 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2016, 10:11:57 pm »

huh... so Airith is an Arts person.... huh.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 24, 2016, 07:01:49 am »

Standards about elves are kind of weird at times. Wooden items get called undwarven, but desiring no manufacture of them is considered a just cause for hate....

Oh. Wait, no, if that had been intentional you wouldn't have moved glass goods to depot. Hm.

Ah well. Crafts could have been useful....Wait, you still got trading done after some bolted?

Now that's unusual.

I know dwarves with need for abstract thought make a fair choice for librarians.

It's a shame that logic doesn't apply to ones that produce goods.

Welp. That's...The decorated items are the worst, I suppose. These can take straight trip under a bridge, I think.

If there was a free dwarf, a burrow could help decorating all of them, but...That's not likely, is it?

Wouldn't it be nice if keas would carry out the trash?

Coal! The aquifer may make retrival prohibitively hard, but at least this site doesn't lack in mineral wealth.

Does failing a mandate benefit Atolasob any way?

Mm....No, even as Lotu gives away the responsibility, the main target of ire should be still Bomrek. They shouldn't know about any shady plots yet, after all. Airith is perfectly normal dwarf.

Heh. Legendary speakers are one of the more common legendaries. Dwarves be chatterboxes at times :3

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2016, 08:50:42 am »

Wait, you still got trading done after some bolted?

Now that's unusual.

Yeah.  I really don't know what happened, and on an "alternate universe playthrough" (to see if it was reproducible), it didn't happen, so...  ???

Welp. That's...The decorated items are the worst, I suppose. These can take straight trip under a bridge, I think.

If there was a free dwarf, a burrow could help decorating all of them, but...That's not likely, is it?

Early on, I said that decorating imported items would not be an acceptable way of reducing the import numbers.  We have to actually use the items, or ship them back out.

Wouldn't it be nice if keas would carry out the trash?

But they won't, because elven trash is usually cheaper than made-on-site.

Does failing a mandate benefit Atolasob any way?

Right now, only from not using all the resources we would have needed to.  Later on...?  We shall see.

Mm....No, even as Lotu gives away the responsibility, the main target of ire should be still Bomrek. They shouldn't know about any shady plots yet, after all. Airith is perfectly normal dwarf.

Well, of course they're all normal dwarves.  Where on earth did you get any other idea?  :P

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 24, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »

01 Hematite 83

Dr. Urist gazed at the row of vials lined up along one side of her desk in frustration.  None of these will work!  Either they don’t stick to the wood, or they rub off too quickly, or they leave a visible residue, or the wood neutralizes the active ingredient.

I need some new ideas.

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

04 Hematite 83

Akrul just keeps getting tenser.  She’s tasked Mebzuth with making raw green glass, and told Logem to cut the glass and all of the clay loam lying around into crafts.  She seems to think that will bring the craft-related portions of the quota back on track

Logem’s been muttering to himself ever since.  Something about “ye cain’t force a gem to take a shape, ye haf t’cut th’ way it wants t’be cut.”  There is something to that.  I’ve noticed when mining that sometimes a boulder just stays whole, while other times no matter what I do, I end up with a useless pile of rubble.

15 Hematite 83

“Help!  Help!”  Lotu called out.  “Anyone up there?  I need some help!”
Airith came racing down the stairs, only to stop short.  “What’er you doin’ there?

“Uh…um.”  Lotu shrugged sheepishly.  “I, ah, decided to channel that floor from the, uh, wrong side.  A little help, please?”

Airith pinched the bridge of her nose.  “Really?  With everything I have to do around here, you have to pull something like this?  You’re the miner.  Couldn’t you have, I don’t know, stopped to think a minute first?”

As she spoke, she grabbed the nearest clay loam boulder and started attaching it in place.  “Only a miner.  For crying out loud, why did I have to go and fall in love with a miner?”

As she hammered the last corner, Lotu stepped briskly across.  Snaking a hand behind her neck, he leaned in for a quick kiss.  “Thank ye, darlin’.  I’ll make it up to ye, I promise!”

16 Hematite 83

Udil spotted the humans on his way down to the barracks.

With a glance through Lorbam’s stock lists, I ordered all of our worn clothing moved.  I’ll need to remember not to trade away any of the legwear or headwear, but at least it won’t have to be moved in the fall.  I also sent all of that useless pile the elves left behind.  At least it won’t affect the import cap anymore.  And I noticed that Rith has been making a lot of skull totems, so I ordered them sent too.

20 Hematite 83

Apparently our first migrants arrived eight years ago today.  The only reason I remember is because the axedwarf Lokum tracked me down to inform me of it.  And the reason he went to that trouble?  He seems to think eight years is some sort of important anniversary, in honor of which he now wants to be called “Sky”. 

Sky?

I still can’t believe it.  No proper dwarf ever wants to see the sky!  Our proper domain is below ground, the deeper the better.

Oh, wait a minute.  This is the guy who likes suns.

Well, if he wasn’t nuts when he got here, being exposed to one for so long has clearly rendered him addlepated.  On the plus side, now it’ll be easy to tell which “Lokum” we’re referring to.

22 Hematite 83

Wait, what?  Who?

Without so much as a by-your-leave, this dwarf came waltzing through the gate, across the courtyard, and straight into Dr. Urist’s cubbyhole of a library.  Apparently the elves are spreading word of our fight with the werebeast, and he was curious enough to come visit.

He’s now talking to Dr. Urist, who seems rather more animated since his arrival.

25 Hematite 83

And there’s another one.

27 Hematite 83

Let me just check the current import values before going to trade…

Huh?  That’s…higher than the numbers from after the elves left.  Oh, wait.  Visitor clothing gets counted as imports, too?  Crap.

At any rate, I ended up trading for all of the human toys and appropriate crafts.  Since they’re made of metal, Bomrek can melt them if he doesn’t like them.  I also acquired some more legwear and headwear.  It’s not my problem if no one in Swordgangs can wear it.

Unfortunately, thanks to those import numbers, I wasn’t able to get anything useful.  But, I did get rid of almost all of the useless elven junk (there are just a couple of clay boulders left that are waiting for Logem to cut them) and a fair amount of our worn bodywear and handwear.

We’re just barely under the cap.

I comforted myself with the reminder that most of the remaining imported stuff will get shipped right back out to Bomrek.  We should still be able to import the steel stuff I ordered last year.

01 Malachite 83

Besmar has spotted someone lurking beneath the trees far to the east.  He says it looks like a human, but it could just as easily be something else.  Another werebeast?  If so, it should be cowering in fear.

02 Malachite 83

Aban has given birth to another boy, whom she has named Rakust.

And he won’t be useful for another twelve years…

03 Malachite 83

That creature Besmar spotted turned out to be a human.  She finally simply waltzed in today, as if she were entering her own village.

She carried a horn, only she called it a “queci”.  Apparently, it makes music.

That’ll be different.

07 Malachite 83

Hooray!  I found granite beneath the next aquifer level.  Woo-hoo!  Armok be praised, we are almost through!

I just need to finish this level…

And dig through one more.  Airith will need to modify the pumping order slightly, since granite won’t absorb much water.

Still, I can see solid rock beneath the water!

08 Malachite 83

Lotu was looking forward to his break.  Closing his eyes to better appreciate the scent of rice beer coming from the mug he carried, he walked automatically down the ramp into the common area.

“Lotu!  There you are!”  Dr. Urist shot out of her library and latched on to his arm.  Only Lotu’s quick reflexes kept the beer from getting dumped on the ground.  And that would have been such a waste.

“What?”

“My…guests are using up all of my remaining supplies.  I need more!”

“More…what?”

“Paper!  Quires!  Ink!  Writing equipment, generally.”

Akrul, listening from her chair nearby, shot to her feet and slid to a halt in front of Lotu.

“And I need more paper to send work orders around!”

Often overlooked, Lorbam was also in sitting quietly in his office, updating the stock records.  “Lotu, I could use another sheet, too.  This one is almost done.”  He held up a virtually illegible page covered in squiggles.

Lotu studied the three of them, each in turn.  Minkot is growing more plants than Zutthan can thresh into thread.  He thought.  But can we spare someone for paper…?

At that moment, Tun wandered into the room, gnawing on some dog meat.

Talk about useless.

“Tun!”  Lotu waved him over.  “How would you like to stop hauling?”

Tun shrugged.  “Why not.”

Lotu took that as an affirmative.  “We have a millstone and a screw press hooked up on the surface.”  Clapping a friendly hand on Tun’s shoulder, he added.  “Congratulations.  You’re our new papermaker.  And these three dwarfs have some requests for you.”

Waving them forward, Lotu backed away.  “Excuse me while I finish my drink.”  Saluting with his still-half full mug, he escaped to a quieter corner.

20 Malachite 83

It’s been a long time, but I finally treated my darling to a real date.  That human entertained us with some poetry.  While it wasn’t half bad, she has some odd ideas about proper poetic form.  But, I have to admit, I spent more time enjoying having my arms around my beloved than I did actually listening to the poetry.

We should do that again some time.

24 Malachite 83

Huh?  Imic jerked to attention.  There’s a fight somewhere?  One I don’t know about?

Racing around the corner to the entry passage, he slowed to a halt, staring.

Wow.  He’s really whaling on the little pests.

Crossing his arms, Imic watched proudly as his pupil made short shrift of the troupe.

A short time later, Udil finally stopped, panting.  “Did I get ‘em?”

“Yep.”  Imic strolled up.  “Ye got ‘em.  Nice job, kid.”

Both dwarves jerked up at a sudden shriek.  Rounding the wall, they froze at an unexpected sight.

With one punch, Ral ripped a capuchin to pieces, and another fresh body lay a short distance away.

“Remind me t’never get on Ral’s bad side.”  Imic muttered to Udil, as Ral bent to retrieve the handful of brewable berries the capuchins had tried to steal from her.

Udil nodded in emphatic agreement.

27 Malachite 83

Whew!  The third aquifer level is done, and it’s time to tackle the last one.

And I managed to prise a boulder each of tetrahedrite and limonite from the aquifer's clutches.  Now if only I could find some flux so Catten can turn the iron into steel…

04 Galena 83

The dwarf studied his hit list.  Now that paper was being made in steadily greater quantities, it was almost childishly easy to liberate a sheet here and there for more private uses.

Completing the list hadn’t been difficult.  Crossing the names off, on the other hand…

At least there’re only four adults and five children.  It could have been worse.

But still he frowned.

Couldn’t that blasted werelizard have taken care of at least one of them?  That would have made this progress report so much easier!

He huffed out a sigh.

I suppose I should be thankful those folks haven’t produced any more children!  May they keep working so hard.  Hmm, I’ll need to mention that to the Master.  But best not to dwell on it.  Instead…  His eyes brightened on a sudden thought.  Yes, he did want these deaths to be accidents, didn’t he?  Well, surely he’ll have to accept that true accidents take time to arrange.

Folding the list, he slipped it into an inner pocket and headed back to work.

09 Galena 83

As summer continues, Akrul is getting antsier and antsier.  Apparently the craft and legwear numbers aren’t where she thinks they should be.  She’s hijacked Mebzuth to make glass toys.  Having finished making all of the pump components we need, it gives Mebzuth something to do.  But I hope Mooney doesn’t notice the slowdown in bolt production, now that Rith has been browbeaten into using bones to make the other crafts.

17 Galena 83

At last!  The last of our three visitors has finally left.  Maybe things can get back to normal now?  But somehow I doubt it.

Dr. Urist is in an awfully cheerful mood.

27 Galena 83

Airith has spent so much time building pumps lately, she’s now calling herself an architect.  I brought her some cassava beer since she seemed to want to celebrate.

28 Galena 83

Well, I do have to admit it.  Akrul seems to know how to get things done.

The toys will be easy enough to finish before the caravan gets here.  The trousers?  I have a feeling the official numbers are under-representing how many we have.  I’m sure I can find a few folks who will be more than willing to donate their tattered clothing to the cause, in exchange for some brand new masterworks from Sodel. OOC: Having been bit by overestimations before, I have this spreadsheet showing 1/3rd of the headwear and legwear numbers from the stocks screen.  Given that, I'm pretty sure we're going to make the entire quota this time around.  And having underestimates for the numbers doesn't hurt the Airith/Akrul situation at all.

Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Newcomers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 03:07:23 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #269 on: December 25, 2016, 06:58:11 am »

I'm impressed this is still going. I've been tempted to resurrect scoredgravel, but getting the save back is going to be a difficult undertaking.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36