Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 189485 times)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #975 on: December 13, 2016, 09:26:17 am »

I think it's to do with the fact we have an EU thread, a non-EU europe thread & since Brexit no one seems able to decide where the UK goes so it ends up in this one.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 13, 2016, 09:53:35 am »

No, Neonivek literally said that it is because of Brexit. He just haven't said [how.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 13, 2016, 11:55:28 am »

He has (or someone did). Every political campaign from now until whenever will be tained with whether the People™ want those (Hard/Soft)Brexiters/(Revote/Ignorevote)Bremainers to get their support.

Chris Greyling is a party attack-dog who turned Brexit into the kind of return of political advantage that is only rivaled by Boris's rise to Chief Foreigner-Botherer. If he can't 'sort things out' (or at the very least move the blame onto the bolshy liberal-left, as obstructing the well-organised centre-right policies that he needs everyone to trust to get the best-of-all-worlds Brexit through) then a domino falls (and certainly he might do) and it might count dearly in the future battle of one swing or another away from the delicately balanced party/Brexit centreground.

It's just an excuse, though. Everyone should know that it's workers (left leaning as they may be) vs bosses (right wing as they might be), both of whose demographics are shown to be ambivalent about Brexit.

If it wasn't this, it might be mumble muble something something junior doctors again from Jeremy C Hunt or May's old foes the Police Federation, if it could be swung (though May is probably not wanting to spark that latter one off again, if she can help it, at least until she can be sure she won't lose out, sitting on the see-saw balancing atop the greasy pole).

And this is not to say that it wouldn't happen (given its prior history) if Brexit had not happened, but the Brexit spin/curse is upon it in time this universe.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 13, 2016, 01:16:44 pm »

Thank you, I am content.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #979 on: December 29, 2016, 04:20:57 pm »

Honestly I feel like LW is closer to the truth here but in the same way that we're closer to Djibouti than Cape Horn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
800,001 ftw

On the one hand screaming and giggling about Keks and saying the EU is an evil empire is not helping LW at all, but the other side implying/imagining that it doesn't have some fairly deep systemic flaws is just as bad.
When did I say the EU is an evil empire? It's a costly hegemony. An evil empire would at the very least be sexy

*EDIT
Corbyn: Labour won't block Brexit, I understand why people don't trust the EU or politicians
We're all set to go
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:31:23 pm by Loud Whispers »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 08, 2017, 06:59:57 am »

Meanwhile in the UK, there's a big commotion, after two people died in a hospital's reception area, because they had to wait for too long to be helped.
One woman died of a heart attack after waiting in the reception hall for 35 hours, and a man died of an aneurism while waiting.
Must be said that this happened on new year, with the hospital being overcrowded with people who lost eyes and hands to fireworks.

The hospital has not denied that the people died beause of the long waiting times, and says it's due to understaffing and chaos that has followed the NHS budget cuts.

One third of all hospital groups raised the alarm, and said more deaths will follow unless the NHS budget cuts are reversed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:03:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 08, 2017, 07:44:20 am »

I went into A&E on New Year's Day myself (with a relative, not for myself), after noon. The waiting room was packed. I don't know if it was typically/atypically busy for a NYD, a Sunday, any day at all, not being a regular there. But I didn't detect any undermanning (if there had been more staff there might have been less room for patients!), SFAICT it was just a demand spike, possibly with some less urgent cases than those fireworks-related ones (possibly including my relative, who got a night in their wards regardless, and a further couple of nights since "for observation").  Not brilliant (the hospital, that is; the bit about the relative goes without saying...) but neither was it exactly a war-zone.

I feel I must point out that when there's a lot of people using a service, even an admirably low rate of 'falling through the cracks' or otherwise succumbing to random unforseen events can manifest itself in notable examples. But this makes it no less a tragedy for anyone who finds their relative becoming such a notable outlier.

I also must point out that at least one hospital in the region (not quite neighbouring ours) is scheduled to lose its A&E department later this year.  The time it would take to get from their closed doors to the nearest alternative (by comparable private transport) is about half what it took is to get to our A&E from the relative's home, but then this closing one and its neighbours serve far denser populations, and presumably are scaled accordingly, so the loss might be on volume more be ven than time to initial triage.

Not entirely sure what precise threads of the Brexit issue this is supposed to be linked to, but it demonstrates that the stupid "£350m for the NHS!" thing was a despitically genius piece of PR, damn them, such that it seems Leave had no chance of plucking at the heartstrings so attractively, despite so easy a set of refutations.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 08, 2017, 08:06:34 am »

I can say for a fact that junior doctors have a shitty deal anywhere you go.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 08, 2017, 10:38:41 am »

Red Cross did very recently say that the state of hospitals in England is a humanitarian crisis.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 10, 2017, 12:44:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 10, 2017, 01:06:22 am »

Old news I meant to post about recently:

Britain's EU ambassador resigns, mixed messages regarding why.

A letter to his former colleagues, with some analysis.

News on his replacement, former ambassador to Moscow, including a ridiculous comment from good ol' Nige:

Quote from: Good ol' Nige
Good to see that the government have replaced a knighted career diplomat with... a knighted career diplomat.

The implication being that having someone who knows what they're doing in an unprecedented political move is a bad thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 10, 2017, 03:13:05 am »

The implication being that having someone who knows what they're doing in an unprecedented political move is a bad thing.
Don't worry, 'Merica is trying the opposite approach, big stylee, so notes can be compared afterwards... ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #987 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14:37 am »

Quote from: Good ol' Nige
Good to see that the government have replaced a knighted career diplomat with... a knighted career diplomat.

No, the implication being that having national interests decided by the self-interested in unprecedented political moves is a bad thing. It is the battle of career politicians interested in advancing their own careers regardless of national interest that got us with such unprecedented political moves as Brexit in the first place XD

Also Russia is sending Theresa May Pepes. I am not making this up, MEME WAR NOW

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 10, 2017, 10:18:41 am »

I didn't know she fancied Latino old men
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 10, 2017, 10:53:58 am »

I didn't know she fancied Latino old men
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 126