Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Site-Wide Occupations for New Citizens & Dwarves?  (Read 1508 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Site-Wide Occupations for New Citizens & Dwarves?
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:57:17 am »

Almost two days ago I asked about the following new changes/features in the 0.43.04 release in the Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04 Released thread... but nobody replied. :'( So, I thought I'd start a new thread here.

Allowed new citizens with some previously site-wide occupations to be reassigned

Does this refer to new migrants? Or visitors that applied for and was granted citizenship? I thought visitors granted citizenship could not be assigned to an occupation.

Allowed some site-wide occupations for dwarves

Site-wide? ??? Does this mean there are new occupations which apply to the entire fort instead of a specific location?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Site-Wide Occupations for New Citizens & Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:19:51 am »

The first one: That's what it reads to me as.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:28:23 am »

I'm not sure, but using DT I've been able to assign any normal dwarf task to naturalized citizens (except zone location based tasks, because naturalized citizens are tied to a hard coded "location" named after the fortress). However, I think DF vanilla failed to allow you to assign them jobs, and thus it's that barrier that's been lifted.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 01:11:54 pm »

Thank you for the replies.

...However, I think DF vanilla failed to allow you to assign them jobs, and thus it's that barrier that's been lifted.

That makes sense. Some players have been complaining about this limitation and this does sound like a wonderful change.

I'll this out myself, eventually, when I start a new fort. But I really wanted an idea of what this was all about.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:25:46 pm »

I think it's a fix to bards and scholars that join your fort being unable to be assigned a specific location. There's a general location named after your fort (site-wide occupation,) and they were all stuck there.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:27:19 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:37:20 am »

Anyone who actually knows and can state what it actually does, rather than the current lot of blind guessers (me included)?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:09:09 pm »

Anyone who actually knows and can state what it actually does, rather than the current lot of blind guessers (me included)?
See: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9444#c35379
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:48:25 am »

Thanks Bumber.

That settles it (I still find Toady's wording of "site wide" for location tied occupations misleading, but the bug report fix description makes it clear what's been done).