Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: artifact slade warhammer?  (Read 6008 times)

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
artifact slade warhammer?
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:06:29 pm »

I'm just curious, if you can get some slade, and make an artifact warhammer with it, how good will it be?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: artifact slade warhammer?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »

You can't get slade without modding.

If you do mod in slade and make a warhammer out of it, the hammer will hit absurdly hard.  However, anyone carrying it will be slowed down to a crawl, making it all but useless in actual combat.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »

You can't get slade without modding.

If you do mod in slade and make a warhammer out of it, the hammer will hit absurdly hard.  However, anyone carrying it will be slowed down to a crawl, making it all but useless in actual combat.

It is (or at least was) possible to mine slade via the "dig through SMR" bug. I believe someone did infact make a warhammer out of it, and it was in fact stupidly powerful
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:39:24 pm »

It was possible to get slade in 0.40.24 without modding as NCommander said, and I've seen nothing to indicate that's changed since.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:01:24 pm »

dfhack changeitem m (material) should be easy without bothering with below smr digging.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:01:45 pm »

That may be true, but slade is a rock natively, decorations don't affect item weight and neither masons nor miners nor stone crafters nor engravers nor mechanics can mood a weapon. Only bone carvers and weaponsmiths can, and neither will take rocks as base material.

I guess if you're running 0.42.04 for brain rot and do have dwarves adopt items (though, wasn't that .05?) you could have your dwarf adopt their favourite slade....goblet and beat people with it.

Otherwise, will need to hit people with slade stuff not in dwarven hands - or hit slade stuff with people.

Which should hit like 23 times as hard as something made from iron or something, going by weights. A difference between yellow or brown wounds or being torn asunder or blown apart.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:05:25 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:05:17 pm »

Moving some raws around suggests a slade warhammer should weigh 80 urists and be pretty good as a weapon.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:55 pm »

That may be true, but slade is a rock natively, decorations don't affect item weight and neither masons nor miners nor stone crafters nor engravers nor mechanics can mood a weapon. Only bone carvers and weaponsmiths can, and neither will take rocks as base material.

But one could mod the game so masons or stone crafters could mood a weapon, right? Or would it be easier to mod weaponsmiths or bone carvers to be able to take rock as base material?

Moving some raws around suggests a slade warhammer should weigh 80 urists and be pretty good as a weapon.

(Double-checks the math...) Sounds right.

To put that into perspective, an iron anvil weighs 78.5 urists, which is darned close. {Weight = Density (Iron=7840) * Volume*10 (Anvil=1000x10) / 1,000,000} Also, a wood log from ordinary wood weighs 25 urists. So a slade warhammer would be equivalent to 3.2 wood logs.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:01:32 pm by Thundercraft »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »

But one could mod the game so masons or stone crafters could mood a weapon, right? Or would it be easier to mod weaponsmiths or bone carvers could take rock as base material?

(Double-checks the math...) Sounds right.

To put that into perspective, an iron anvil weighs 78.5 urists, which is darned close. {Weight = Density (Iron=7840) * Volume*10 (Anvil=1000x10) / 1,000,000} Also, a wood log from ordinary wood weighs 25 urists. So a slade warhammer would be equivalent to 3.2 wood logs.
If you're getting into that territory you might as well use dfhack's changeitem tool to turn an existing artifact warhammer into slade. That being said it doesn't seem to be that great. Played around with it in the arena and nothing spectacular happened, if it was substantially better than an iron warhammer I didn't notice.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 10:54:37 pm »

If you're getting into that territory you might as well use dfhack's changeitem tool to turn an existing artifact warhammer into slade.

Could do that. Though, personally, that feels like more of a cheat.

That being said it doesn't seem to be that great. Played around with it in the arena and nothing spectacular happened, if it was substantially better than an iron warhammer I didn't notice.

Is there any possibility that it was because this test was done in the arena? There are a few things that just don't work the same in arena as in fort or adventure modes.

Also, was your test with an artifact slade warhammer?  If nothing else, I would expect the extra bonus from being an artifact to help it be noticeably more dangerous than a plain iron warhammer.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:53:04 pm »

Could do that. Though, personally, that feels like more of a cheat.

That being said it doesn't seem to be that great. Played around with it in the arena and nothing spectacular happened, if it was substantially better than an iron warhammer I didn't notice.

Is there any possibility that it was because this test was done in the arena? There are a few things that just don't work the same in arena as in fort or adventure modes.

Also, was your test with an artifact slade warhammer?  If nothing else, I would expect the extra bonus from being an artifact to help it be noticeably more dangerous than a plain iron warhammer.
Pretty unlikely. Nothing about the arena should impact the way weapons work.

Artifact status applies a to-hit modifier and a masterwork level sharpness modifier. The problem wasn't that it was missing it was that when it hit a steel breastplate over steel mail it bounced right off. It caved in skulls and snapped necks pretty good, about as well as an iron war hammer.Even assuming that an artifact slade warhammer was much better than a plain iron warhammer that would logically just elevate it to the level of an artifact iron warhammer.

In large battle tests with 15 steel clad dwarves with warhammers against 15 unarmed steelclad elves team iron actually did substantially better than the guys with slade. Team Iron succeeded in bashing their enemies helmets until they stopped having helmets, Team Slade had to pull off the helmets to finish the job. When Team Slade had no points in any combat skills they repeatedly lost (to unarmed elves) because they were getting tired lugging around full kit and 80 urist hammers. With untrained fighters adamantine warhammers are actually better than slade.

When I took the steel armor off everybody untrained guys with slade warhammers did okay but they still tended to lose people. Grandmaster everything hammerdwarves with slade warhammers cleaned up unarmored elves but they still took longer than the guys with iron warhammers and only did a little bit better than grandmaster everything unarmed dwarves.

Slade Warhammers seem to be at their most dangerous when you convince your enemy to hold them.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:15 am »

...Slade Warhammers seem to be at their most dangerous when you convince your enemy to hold them.

I wonder why slade warhammers are that godawful terrible, considering the claims of how platinum warhammers are much more deadly than other metals. Is there something besides the huge exhaustion factor? Is it just a matter of too much of a good thing (way, way too much density/weight)?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:53:42 am by Thundercraft »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 03:45:40 am »

For testing purposes. mod in a line of metals with different weights, like  a weights et, and experiment
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 07:22:23 am »

...Slade Warhammers seem to be at their most dangerous when you convince your enemy to hold them.

I wonder why slade warhammers are that godawful terrible, considering the claims of how platinum warhammers are much more deadly than other metals. Is there something besides the huge exhaustion factor? Is it just a matter of too much of a good thing (way, way too much density/weight)?

My guess is it's the side effects from the extreme weight. Getting tired faster and attacking less often is a huge penalty.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:44 am »

My guess is it's the side effects from the extreme weight. Getting tired faster and attacking less often is a huge penalty.

So what we need to do is wait and hope for the Myth/Magic/Artifact arc to create a Slade version of Mjolnir, right?
Pages: [1] 2