Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Oh god, not another Yugioh RP... (OOC)  (Read 11812 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Oh god, not another Yugioh RP attempt...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »

In that case is it possible it could be a synchro or XYZ monster, as it won't actually be treated as a monster and more of just a spirit?
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 05:39:37 pm »

In that case is it possible it could be a synchro or XYZ monster, as it won't actually be treated as a monster and more of just a spirit?

I will say yes, as power creep could be adjusted for.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 10:29:21 pm »

How tightly are you defining archetypes?  Do you want to define it precisely according to the game's definition (has that precise term in the card name) or a more general "archetype + support" effect, and in the case of support, how specific do you want to go as far as the extent of effects?  I'm looking at some support cards that have both general and archetype-specific effects (Dried Winds, to be precise, which support Aroma) as well as cards that don't explicitly state an archetype despite being very blatantly defined for an archetype (most Monarch support, but we'll use Return of the Monarchs for a specific example), since I haven't decided on a specific deck yet.  At its logical extreme, would the card Future Fusion (though banned; I ask mostly because it springs to mind as an example) count as E-HERO in spite of not mentioning that archetype at all, due to the fact that its fluff is very strongly tied to HERO decks?  Also, how general do you want the archetypes, for instance in the case that I might consider building a deck on Type instead of something more specific.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:34:11 pm by Culise »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 12:24:11 am »

How tightly are you defining archetypes?  Do you want to define it precisely according to the game's definition (has that precise term in the card name) or a more general "archetype + support" effect, and in the case of support, how specific do you want to go as far as the extent of effects?  I'm looking at some support cards that have both general and archetype-specific effects (Dried Winds, to be precise, which support Aroma) as well as cards that don't explicitly state an archetype despite being very blatantly defined for an archetype (most Monarch support, but we'll use Return of the Monarchs for a specific example), since I haven't decided on a specific deck yet.  At its logical extreme, would the card Future Fusion (though banned; I ask mostly because it springs to mind as an example) count as E-HERO in spite of not mentioning that archetype at all, due to the fact that its fluff is very strongly tied to HERO decks?  Also, how general do you want the archetypes, for instance in the case that I might consider building a deck on Type instead of something more specific.

I'll call an archetype as consisting of the groupings they list at the base of the cards on the wikia.  There is one exception, that I'll term the monarch exception.

The Monarch Exception)  Where it is so blatant that they should be merged that there are two groups with the same name and only differentiating by essentially one being a monster while the other is a spell/trap, oh god why, the two should be considered as one and the same.

Subtypes (ex. Meklord, Meklord Emperor, Meklord Army, Wisel, Wisel Attack, Wisel Guard, Wisel Top, Skiel, Skiel Attack, Granel, and ∞. (I have no words.)  Exodia and Forbidden One.  D/D and D/D/D) are included in the Monarch Exception.  If there is a case of an archetype listed by monster type, I will count the subtypes as separate.

In the case a card belongs to multiple archetypes and the two don't fall into the Monarch Exception, it belongs the most to the one it is a member of.  If it is a member of neither, then you declare which one it will count for, and will only count towards that one.

Fluff means nothing in deck building terms.  So Future Fusion wouldn't count as E-HERO, but instead...why?  Oh god why?  What the hell's the difference between fusion and polymerization?  It falls in the Monarch Exception, but still!
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:06 pm »

Well here is my character, please tell me if there are any problems with it.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Main Deck (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:45:07 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »

I'll call an archetype as consisting of the groupings they list at the base of the cards on the wikia.  There is one exception, that I'll term the monarch exception.

The Monarch Exception)  Where it is so blatant that they should be merged that there are two groups with the same name and only differentiating by essentially one being a monster while the other is a spell/trap, oh god why, the two should be considered as one and the same.

Subtypes (ex. Meklord, Meklord Emperor, Meklord Army, Wisel, Wisel Attack, Wisel Guard, Wisel Top, Skiel, Skiel Attack, Granel, and ∞. (I have no words.)  Exodia and Forbidden One.  D/D and D/D/D) are included in the Monarch Exception.  If there is a case of an archetype listed by monster type, I will count the subtypes as separate.

In the case a card belongs to multiple archetypes and the two don't fall into the Monarch Exception, it belongs the most to the one it is a member of.  If it is a member of neither, then you declare which one it will count for, and will only count towards that one.
I see.  So, everything listed as a member, support, or related will count towards the archetype max, and type or attribute decks are ruled out since archetypes are a separate grouping system based on card names.  I'm guessing the "Monarch exception" will also apply to interlocked archetypes that mutually support between the two.  I'll...keep trying to build a deck that has a good feel, I suppose.

Fluff means nothing in deck building terms.  So Future Fusion wouldn't count as E-HERO, but instead...why?  Oh god why?  What the hell's the difference between fusion and polymerization?  It falls in the Monarch Exception, but still!
The Japanese name of the card is 未来融合-フューチャー・フュージョン.  This essentially albeit inelegantly translates as Future Fusion - Future Fusion, so it's clear why they changed it, but how they changed it resulted in a bit of a side-effect.  Its original name makes it a part of two archetypes: 融合 (Fusion, translated as Polymerization) and フュージョン (Fusion, translated as Fusion), but this particular quirk was lost in translation.  That said, there is no support card that distinguishes between the two archetypes (the only one that works on both is Synchro Fusionist, which declares both archetypes irrespective of language), so it's largely semantic in this particular case. 

By the bye, this reliance on Japanese names for all archetypes in order to ensure consistent rulings when combined with archetype rules for the game also results in many other oddities.  For instance, Diffusion Wave-Motion is not a Fusion card in spite of technically having "fusion" in its name, not because it would make logical sense for a spell with absolutely no ties to fusion-summons to not be tied to fusions, but simply because its Japanese name doesn't have "フュージョン" in its name.  On the flip side, certain archetypes (such as Prophecy) may include very odd cards in it that have absolutely no ties to the archetype (Armor Exe), because in the Japanese names, the archetype name is contained in the Japanese name for that card. 

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »

EDIT: Wee bit of a glitchy server, it seems.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 07:58:47 pm »

Well here is my character, please tell me if there are any problems with it.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Main Deck (click to show/hide)

First things first, bravo with selecting as your Ka the one card of the archetype that the full details are not known about.  Sure it is a synchro, and as such would already have been disallowed from being in the initial deck, but still.

However, there is one problem with your deck.  Due to a complete overlap of having every Traptrix card in the Trap Hole archetype, and the latter not being a monster type, the two are considered one and the same as a result of the Monarch Exception.  As a result, Bottomless Trap Hole and Endless Trap Hole would be included in the count of Traptrix, pushing you over to 10 cards, 3 too many for a secondary archetype.  I debated this for awhile, but the sheer overlap would result in the Monarch Exception applying.

Edit: I'll put up the psuedo-random description in a bit.  Need to take a shower after working outside for a few hours.

I'll...keep trying to build a deck that has a good feel, I suppose.

Hey, look at it this way.  While it may take a bit more thought figuring out how to get a deck with a good level of power, you don't have to track down the rarities of every single card you put or try to put into the deck.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:00:49 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 11:21:33 pm »

Sounds good. I think I'll join.

Name: Dairus
Appearance: Dairus is dark skinned and slim, about medium height, with short black hair and brown eyes. He looks to be about sixteen years old. He wears a black t-shirt with a white silhouette of a dragon on it and jeans, with black tennis shoes.
Ka Monster: King Dragun
Semi-Random Description Given by GM:
Primary Archetype: Chaos

Decks:
Spoiler: Main (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:48:22 am by juicebox »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 11:38:19 pm »

Hey, look at it this way.  While it may take a bit more thought figuring out how to get a deck with a good level of power, you don't have to track down the rarities of every single card you put or try to put into the deck.
It's not so much about power; if that's all I wanted, I could just dust off my usual Frognarchs or combine a Light and Dark archetype for an improv Chaos deck.  It's more me thinking about the character; even with you randomizing the traits, I still consider it while designing the deck like I've always done.  I'm a bit better than I used to be, though.  When I first played online in a forum, I had character notes for the duelist behind almost every single deck I played, though true to the anime, some of them were based on some really awful puns.  F'rex, a Rock Stun deck was run by the front girl for an indie rock band, who I also used for a conceptual Jam deck, my Cyber deck that used a Cyber Valley draw engine was run by a valley girl, and my Wight deck was going to be a knight in shining armour whose typical setting for duels would be after sunset.  I'm still proud of that Wight Night.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:42:05 pm by Culise »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 12:54:12 am »

Sounds good. I think I'll join.

Name: Dairus
Appearance: Dairus is dark skinned and slim, about medium height, with short black hair and brown eyes. He looks to be about sixteen years old. He wears a black t-shirt with a white silhouette of a dragon on it and jeans, with black tennis shoes.
Ka Monster: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
Semi-Random Description Given by GM:
Primary Archetype: Chaos Dragons

Decks:
Spoiler: Main (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Extra (click to show/hide)

You list only one archetype that does not exist according to the criteria I made.  Closest to the one you selected would be Chaos, of which you have far rocketed past.  Due to Monarch Exception combining all the subtypes listed at the bottom of the page, can't run Black Luster Soldier as a secondary to get around it.  Ka monster falls under the no, not due to the fact it is XYZ, but due to being a unique Number card.  Anime does weird stuff with Five-Headed Dragon at the time this is set (Ritual Monster named Mythic Dragon), so I would rather have that card avoided.  Weird stuff around Tragoedia in both the Manga (main antagonist, surviving spirit of Kul Edla) and Anime (only used by post-apocalypse duelist), makes me wish to avoid that card being present.  As for Galaxy-Eyes, while I can bend the rules for the position of some cards, the state of Blue Eyes White Dragon in the first series makes me very hesitant to do so for that card.

There's one final thing that stuck out to me.
Interplanetarypurplythorny Dragon
Why, oh god why, is this a card name?

It's not so much about power; if that's all I wanted, I could just dust off my usual Frognarchs or combine a Light and Dark archetype for an improv Chaos deck.  It's more me thinking about the character; even with you randomizing the traits, I still consider it while designing the deck like I've always done.  I'm a bit better than I used to be, though.  When I first played online in a forum, I had character notes for the duelist behind almost every single deck I played, though true to the anime, some of them were based on some really awful puns.  F'rex, a Rock Stun deck was run by the front girl for an indie rock band, who I also used for a conceptual Jam deck, my Cyber deck that used a Cyber Valley draw engine was run by a valley girl, and my Wight deck was going to be a knight in shining armour whose typical setting for duels would be after sunset.  I'm still proud of that Wight Night.

Probably misread into the meaning of the sentence I quoted.  Still, those are some interesting characters you've come up with, by the way.  Hopefully I can give you something interesting to work with.

Quote from: Kansa

Might have been expecting your backstory in this post, but time got away from me and it is currently 1 AM at my house as of posting.  I'll post it tomorrow.

In other news, the whole of the first act has been charted out.  There will be at least seven shadow games.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 09:47:13 am »

You list only one archetype that does not exist according to the criteria I made.  Closest to the one you selected would be Chaos, of which you have far rocketed past.  Due to Monarch Exception combining all the subtypes listed at the bottom of the page, can't run Black Luster Soldier as a secondary to get around it.  Ka monster falls under the no, not due to the fact it is XYZ, but due to being a unique Number card.  Anime does weird stuff with Five-Headed Dragon at the time this is set (Ritual Monster named Mythic Dragon), so I would rather have that card avoided.  Weird stuff around Tragoedia in both the Manga (main antagonist, surviving spirit of Kul Edla) and Anime (only used by post-apocalypse duelist), makes me wish to avoid that card being present.  As for Galaxy-Eyes, while I can bend the rules for the position of some cards, the state of Blue Eyes White
Dragon in the first series makes me very hesitant to do so for that card.

Chaos is the main archetype that I was going for, I just forgot to edit.
I didn't list any secondary archetypes because i didn't have enough cards of any other archetype to merit it
Also, I don't see how I've gone that far over the limit for the chaos archetype.

There's one final thing that stuck out to me.
Interplanetarypurplythorny Dragon
Why, oh god why, is this a card name?

Because Konami

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:36 am »

Also, I don't see how I've gone that far over the limit for the chaos archetype.

Yeah, this one is on my end.  Miscounted.  Granted, it was midnight when I was reviewing your sheet...still, doesn't excuse my mistake.  I apologize.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 11:49:22 am »

The changes have been made

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 02:35:26 pm »

Here's the descriptions and monster abilities I worked up:

Quote from: Kansa

Description: A twenty year old mathematician who may attain an extreme level of focus on tasks of interest, but is quite absent minded in most other tasks.  Her mother has run a number of businesses, that after achieving a fair level of success, have been left in the hands of others or sold off.  The prior business she had run personally was a florist, and the current is the local card shop.  Alice's father has been missing for several years, after completely vanishing when he was going to visit a friend who was acting very strangely.

Ka Monster Ability: Once per duel, until end of turn, plant monsters on your side of the field have their attack and defense increased by 750.

Quote from: Juicebox

Description: A nineteen year old artist who has a preference to work in the genre of fantasy, but will create any work if there is a reasonable amount of money to be had.  He has been highly placed in a couple of the rare contests Industrial Illusions hosts for fans to create new card art, and has built a deck around the copies of the cards he had been given.  A strained relationship with his parents has led to him living alone, doing what he can to make money.  He hopes to one day get a job at an animation studio or Industrial Illusions.

Ka Monster Ability: Once per duel, until end of turn, dragons upon your side of the field are unaffected by your opponent's card effects.  This may be used as a once per chain quick effect.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:55:11 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9