Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Minecraft: Civcraft  (Read 12689 times)

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
Minecraft: Civcraft
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:29 am »

Civcraft is an experiment for communities, political ideologies, debate and discussion. Our backstory is based on history, not fiction. We’re forming a new direction for game-play, not just about surviving the elements, but about surviving each other, where players can work together to create and shape civilization or to watch it crumble. A world open to any idea, manifesto or philosophy, created by the players. We hope to push minecraft to its fullest potential in order to foster discussion, experimentation and community building. This is the great pastime and challenge of mankind: Civilization.

Basically: It's a server with certain plugins that more or less force players to work together in communities, but doesn't strictly have rules stating you have to. All rules are laws made my the local governing bodies depending on where you are, all governments were created purely by players. People generally follow these rules because they can easily get killed if a local army decides to come after them. That matters substantially, because being killed on this server means that your player can be trapped inside of an ender pearl and banished to the End until their pearl is released. Wars in the server are generally won by a king or an entire army being banished to the end and the two sides trying to come to an agreement so that everyone can get back to playing as soon as possible. Every nation has a history, every player a story, every piece of land a future.

It's currently in transition to their 3.0 iteration of the server, but I'd encourage taking a look at it. There are similar servers to play on until 3.0 is out in a few weeks. If anyone wants more info or possibly wants to get with me and my plans for when 3.0 comes out, just go ahead and message me.

Civcraft Wiki - Intro, Histories, and Plugin Help
History of Civcraft 1.0
History of Civcraft 2.0
Civcraft Subreddit - General Civcraft community forum, basically like a Civcraft news network.

Relevant Videos of the Server:

Founder's Speech for the end of Civcraft 2.0
Civcraft's Trailer - Footage taken on the server
Video Displaying Mt. Augusta from Civcraft 2.0
Started playing after this video was made so I don't really know the context, but video of a man putting up a last stand in a ravaged city
Fight against bandits in the city of Orion in 2.0
Again, before I started playing so no context, but I'd assume that this was an attempted homicide which turned into a pretty solid fight

While I'm waiting for 3.0, I've been playing on a server called Devoted. It's basically the same thing with a smaller map, smaller playerbase, and more edginess.

Devoted Trailer
Devoted's Subreddit
Documentary of the War of Piracy, an ongoing conflict involving the power-hungry Pirates attempting to establish dominance over Agora. These days there is no official war, but they are actively hunting members of the Semper Union, which will likely bring war.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:38:14 am by bsnott »
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Civcraft
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:46:04 am »

Probably didn't give the best explanation, but the wiki and YouTube probably show it better than I can.

*gobbles menacingly*

Devoted

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »

Hey folks, I'm an admin over at Devoted, thought I'd weigh in...

Our website is located at http://devotedmc.com and our IP to connect to on Minecraft is play.devotedmc.com.

I wanted to touch on why I think servers like this are important...

Would you prefer to talk about ideology, politics and governments, or see them in action?

It’s one thing to debate about ideologies and which government structure would be the best.

It’s quite another thing to live it.

I’m an American so I was never really exposed to any other governments or ideologies than my own.

I had a read about them, but that was about it.

Then I joined a town that had a minarchy-style government. And… It worked. We had order, justice, and even unofficial organizations that made roads between people’s houses answering the age old question about who would actually build the roads.

It had its major problems (like other towns registering their citizens under our town and swaying elections), but the people living there worked together and made the city function.

This was done in a political sandbox... Built on top of Minecraft. Minecraft is the perfect platform for it because of how many people have played it, low computer spec requirements, and how intuitive the controls are.

I’d like you to come and join the sandbox we’ve built together. It is called Devoted.

We've created a small, Minecraft server in which we have invited players to make their own cities, nations, and experiences. It is a total sandbox experience with admins intervening only if players cheat or hack. This is due to a unique plugin set that allows players to moderate the community by working together.

Since the server’s inception, many nations have arisen from the initial chaos to protect and provide for citizen players. Some nations have grown strong, spanning many continents. Others have have collapsed into atrophy, or have been crushed and annexed by larger, rival nations. Yet still the large southern continent remains an untamed wild, ready for new players and their new nations to shape the land as they see fit.
We have a couple dozen nations, ranging from representative democracies, to monarchies, to co-ops. Here’s a link to an updated list of nations, but I’ll highlight a couple of the major nations below: https://www.reddit.com/r/Devoted/wiki/nations/nation_list

Agoran Republic of Devoted - Estimated population: 16
One of the first cities founded on Devoted, Agora has been an active part of the history on the server. The citizens of Agora elect 5 players onto a council that then governs the nation. They recently went to war with the Pirates (https://www.reddit.com/r/Devoted/wiki/battles/pirate-agora) and were defeated. Most of their citizens were vaulted.

Oxeye - Estimated population: 21
A peaceful town that claims to be a Corporatocracy, with their capital at Vegas. The citizens of Oxeye haven’t as a whole gotten involved in any wars but this small and growing city is gaining power and influence.

Pirates - Estimated population: 14
Arguably the current powerhouse on the server, this loosely associated nation of fighters owns a large vault and currently holds the most prisoners on the server. They’ve received a lot of public backlash and bad PR after they waged war against Agora and broke the Agoran vault.

What is next for the history of Devoted is entirely up to the players. We'd like you to come and try to make your mark.

Our plugins that allow the server to function as a political experiment are listed below:

Citadel: This is our reinforcement plugin, simply hit a block with a rare resource or material to make it reinforced. It will then take more time to break that block. You can use this to protect your items and towns from criminals.

PrisonPearl: This plugin allows players to imprison other players, this allows you to detain and punish criminals. Some less-savory groups have used it to subjugate political dissidents, or enslave innocent civilians. It’s up to you to decide how you’ll use these tools.

JukeAlert: This plugin acts like a security camera, it will let you get information on who accessed certain areas you have ‘snitched’ and will give you information on who broke the window on your house or stole from your chests.

If you want to see a map of the server, visit here: http://devotedmap.github.io/#lore_isometric_day/0/4/7277/3629/64

If you'd like more information please visit our subreddit: http://reddit.com/r/Devoted

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »

Too busy for anything ever, but PTW
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:52:31 pm »

At this point I think nearly everyone's run out of interest in Civcraft.
It was flagging to begin with, really. I'll probably join up with the nazis again once 3.0 launches, assuming I'm not too busy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 12:19:18 am »

Those wacky nazis. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 05:09:05 pm »

Are mods like Waila and NEI allowed on these?

I tried Devoted a bit, only to realize how lost I am not knowing what can be crafted and how.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 06:54:13 pm »

All the crafting recipes are the same as vanilla minecraft. Factories are a big thing but they're documented in-game last I saw (and 3rd-party mods won't help you because it's a server plugin).

But yeah, as a general rule you can use whatever mods you want, barring x-ray and other cheaty things.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 03:04:31 am »

What's the current exchange rate for shittercoin to bitcoins, also can I buy aether or admin crimes directly in siftrcoins?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

SanctusTerrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 04:53:10 am »

This...is interesting.

I enjoy minecraft, moreso with mods that add difficulty. Devoted sounds like a good place for me. Just need enough obsidian to build my house.

Have you considered ATLauncher? Their Pixelmon mod pack comes with a list of servers, perhaps you could do the same? I like ATL because it allows you to set more ram, and you could establish a baseline set of mods to make the experience more enjoyable, or leave it vanilla. I'd recommend Carpenter's Blocks, if nothing else.

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 02:45:36 pm »

This...is interesting.

I enjoy minecraft, moreso with mods that add difficulty. Devoted sounds like a good place for me. Just need enough obsidian to build my house.

Have you considered ATLauncher? Their Pixelmon mod pack comes with a list of servers, perhaps you could do the same? I like ATL because it allows you to set more ram, and you could establish a baseline set of mods to make the experience more enjoyable, or leave it vanilla. I'd recommend Carpenter's Blocks, if nothing else.
Using obsidian to build a house...?

Also if you want you're free to join us in Ascalon. Message bayernanhaenger as he's in charge of new citizens

*gobbles menacingly*

Devoted

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:52:24 am »

What's the current exchange rate for shittercoin to bitcoins, also can I buy aether or admin crimes directly in siftrcoins?

We only sell admincrimes to large volume buyers for BTC.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 11:03:11 am »

I kind of miss the 2.0 dramas, Civtest just seemed more juvenile somehow. I think the longevity of disputes in 2.0 lent more legitimacy to the butthurt. Civtest just didn't have anything to compare to the slowly evolving power blocks that wrestled and backstabbed their way to relevancy.
Also the memes were low tier, not even dank, 1/10, wouldn't meme again.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 08:11:46 pm »

Half the swastikas in Bet were backwards, which was kinda funny.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 11:39:25 pm »

I know we're mostly burnt out on civcraft, but before 3.0 launches next month the admins are looking for some small builds to lend flavour to the map, ruins, caves, atmospheric areas etc. Maybe some of you might be interested in contributing? https://www.reddit.com/r/Civcraft/comments/4ovllp/resuming_building_contest_and_mapworld_ama_2/
There's a few restrictions of course, no loot, precious materials, mob spawners, they should be small and thematically appropriate.  I'm sure someone might have some ideas, I'm thinking of maybe doing some cobblestone stuff that would give an slight impression of the feeling of abandoned past civilisation like 2.0 gave me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4