Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15389 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - The Founding [SG]
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 02:08:04 pm »

My plan is probably bad as well. It's possible infusion is bad and worthless. I can't think of a better option though, perhaps runecrafting... We're going to have power issues no matter what...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »

My plan is probably bad as well. It's possible infusion is bad and worthless. I can't think of a better option though, perhaps runecrafting... We're going to have power issues no matter what...
For what it's worth, your heatstones are probably more useful than the equivalent from a cantrip-level artificer without infusion.

Edit: There are 0 votes for what to spend money on.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:09:15 pm by Nirur Torir »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »

Start saving for expansion for proper library.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 03:57:38 pm »

Bonus turn: 1.5.

In the forests, away from prying eyes, Miss Sara and Father Bloom, standing further back, watched as the two newest guild members meditated. Hours passed, then the pyromaniac fell as though a puppet with its string's cut. The girl looked over at him suddenly, and then a bubble of blue mana burst from her mouth. Both lay dead.

With a heavier heart, Hagel left for the capital. He carried a newly finished heatstone, made from a rock totem to Vorg's flame god. They were a failure, but progress was progress, and they may yet be worth something.

On his trip to the capital, Hagel found another potentiate. The eager young man convinced him that he was ready to become a mage. Unlike the others, he succeeded.

Now, nearly at the capital, Hagel faces an important choice. This apprentice may prove more trouble than he's worth, and an "accident" would be easy to arrange, even with the guards. He could wait until after meeting with the king, but it would be bad to gain a reputation for established apprentices dying, and word would get back to the king that the new apprentice died suspiciously just after he'd decided to increase the guild's payments. Of course, Hagel could simply try to keep watch over him and keep him happy.

Easy-going, Spontaneous, Rebellious
Necromancer

Kill him y/n?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 04:00:47 pm »

Easy going and rebellious huh? Quite a combo. necromancer seems less then useful, but getting that money might be worth while. What do you guys think?

Edit: Also it's very important for Father Bloom to try to figure out what went wrong, if we were just unlucky, or if this is an issue that can be solved, then okay, we'll try to be more lucky/solve the issue. If a majority of our applicants are going to die, we're going to have to approach building the guild in a totally different way then I was first thinking of. I hope he was using some sort of Vitamancy to try to understand what happened to them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:14:38 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »

((Well, Easy-going and rebellious aren't completely opposed. The generator gave them out and I couldn't bear to re-roll.
You nearly had a second infusion instead of necromancy, but I realized the die needed to be slightly larger.))

It's pretty well-known folklore that new mages die when first getting their powers or shortly afterwards, while still getting a basic handle on their powers. Often explosively. You could technically use this, but researching suicide techniques with an unknown control difficulty would be problematic.

Father Bloom was standing far enough back to be safe in case they had a major mishap, like exploding, while Miss Sara was ready to kill either if necessary. ((I need to fix my prose-writing skills.))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 04:28:31 pm »

Hum. Maybe we'll need to wait until we have someone with protection magic, but understand and eventually finding a way past this phenomenon is probably one of the most important thing we need to do if we want to be like, a legit enterprise.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 04:31:31 pm »

It is somewhat easier if they're awakening under someone who understands the magic type, rather than going in blindly.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 04:35:27 pm »

Whelp, We now have a Necromancer... With a Bit of work he could (With Father Bloom's Help) Find out what went Wrong in our Apprentices's Attempt to gain Magic, So I Vote we Keep him.

Besides You wanted Military / Combat Magic and Necromancy is Definitely Military / Combat Magic.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 05:20:01 pm »

Question, since they died so quickly does that mean we don't have to pay for them this turn? Opening up the cash needed start making the library faster?

Also. Sure. Lets keep him. I'm unsure of low level necromancery being useful at all. But eyyy. Might as well.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 05:25:01 pm »

Question, since they died so quickly does that mean we don't have to pay for them this turn? Opening up the cash needed start making the library faster?
I'm going to say 'no,' since I don't actually want to track money closely and you're paying for the necromancer now. We'll say the extra cash is put into a small reserve fund, reducing the need to borrow money in the future for front-loaded expenses (Like last year's weatherproofing before winter).

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 06:17:13 pm »

ptp

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 11:14:09 pm »

at least undead can act as labour in unpleasant situations. Or to dig graves. I say keep.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 12:36:56 pm »

Let's also get the necromancer working on those two dead bodies. Might as well make him productive

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 05:04:14 pm »

Hagel decides that killing off apprentices because they might become trouble would be a terrible habit to get into, regardless of how much trouble they may end up becoming.
Stavros Vasilis, 23 year old apprentice necromancer, has joined the guild.

They meet with the king in an ornate pillar-lined room, the tops adorned with colorful bas relief sculptures and a bowl of incense or a guard at the base of each. A prisoner is brought forward for Stavros' demonstration. Stavros places a hand on his shoulder, then releases a jolt of energy into it. While Stavros grimaces in pain, the prisoner yelps, then complains that he can't move or feel his arm.

The king watches the heatstone demonstration neutrally, then mentions that they would be more useful if they were powerful enough to use in battle.

He increases funding to 120 drachma per month, and hopes to see something useful from the guild in five years time.

Relations with the Faisia family, who's elder was healed last winter, continue to slowly improve.

Vorg tried pushing himself too hard while training his fire magic, ending in a small explosion. with Father Bloom's help, his right arm makes a full recovery (Vorg opts to keep the light scarring).

Spoiler: Reports (click to show/hide)

Training Decisions
Currently, nobody is adding to the guild's knowledge. Should one die, their knowledge dies with them. Your main options are to put training completely on hold and record everything they can, to write down their most interesting findings as they train, or to hold off on that entirely for now - You need to buy parchment, and the current shack is not well suited to keep a library.

Training is currently set to low intensity.

Missions
Search for recruits!
 Send someone on a year-long trip, getting acquainted with nearby settlements and looking for those with magical potential.
 Consider sending some guards.
 Suggested Skills: Level 2 in any magical skill would greatly increase the chances of finding at least one recruit.

Heal the villagers
 Father Bloom is a healer. He could make himself available for healing any new wounds the villagers receive. It would be good practice, but they may become upset if he fails to heal someone who's wounds are too severe to heal, and mistakes with magic could happen at any time.

Heatstone Practice
 Making them is good practice, and should blend well into Miss Sara and Vorg making something the military can use, once they're more experienced.

A new recruit?
 On his way back, Hagel heard rumors of a "witch" living alone in a forest. There was no agreement on her powers.
 Expected duration: 4 months.

Financial Decisions
You have enough money to spread 4 ways.
 Buy parchment, ink, plus perhaps candles and improved parchment storage, allowing magical knowledge to be preserved.
 Father Bloom would still like to hold a religious festival to improve relations with the village.
 The new recruit could use a loyalty boost. Buying some luxury goods and better furniture may combat the notion that guild members live in poverty.
 Your accommodations are poor. The Faisia family would likely be willing to build you a better house, for enough money. (2 gives a single room, 3 gives two rooms, all 4 gives three rooms).

Vorg would have lost an arm if you'd been on a higher training intensity.

I'm now keeping track of your wizards in the third post.

Let's also get the necromancer working on those two dead bodies. Might as well make him productive
((Animating skeletons isn't quite a cantrip level skill.))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13