Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warlocks / Waving Hands  (Read 790 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warlocks / Waving Hands
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:31:08 pm »

Didn't want to Necro a thread from 2009, but I did want to bring this back up because it's a lot of fun (and, self-servingly, because I want people to play with). Here's the original post:

http://games.ravenblack.net/

This is an amazing game of bluff and strategy. Each player is a Warlock in a duel to the death, casting spells by sequences of gestures on each hand. Proffered palm, snap, point, wriggle fingers casts "Charm Person", and Point, Wriggle, Wriggle, Point, Point casts "Lightning Bolt", so you can chain them to cast both in 7 actions rather than 9 since the "point, wriggle" overlaps. And you're using both hands. And there are counterspells, and fire elementals, and cause light wounds. But you know what would make the game even better?

A larger player base. Check it out!  And remember to summon the ogre at yourself and tell it to attack your opponent, don't summon it at your opponent or he'll control it.  (spiel cribbed from maknud)

There is a good strategy guide here, for more complicated tactics than the basic instructions on the game's website will give you: http://minmax.ermarian.net/refuge/

You can invite "quinnr" to a match, if you want. The website is a lot more...dead than it was in 2009 or so, but still running!

Fun fact, the game was originally written by Richard Bartle, who is super cool and also made the original MUD.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Warlocks / Waving Hands
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 04:35:47 am »

I might play a few rounds.  I'm surprised it never got converted into a better format.  It scratches the exact itch I've always had for wizard duels, where a single misstep is fatal.
Shoes...