Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You're petitioning to join what?  (Read 1997 times)

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
  • your mother, for her haunting moos
    • View Profile
You're petitioning to join what?
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:13:00 am »

Visitors who petition to join (dwarfy name here) are not using the name of my tavern or the name of my fort.  What the heck are they joining? I suppose it makes little difference ; They still get a room and the military guys can join squads, but i feel like i'm missing something basic.  Will the entertainers work the tavern, the temple or both? Neither?  At first i thought a random name had been assigned to the suite of rooms attached to the tavern.  In one case a dancer joined "flowing boards" or something then a year later she declared herself "first orchid of flowing boards". 
Filthy Casual ftw

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You're petitioning to join what?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:22:32 am »

Visitors who petition to join (dwarfy name here) are not using the name of my tavern or the name of my fort.  What the heck are they joining? I suppose it makes little difference ; They still get a room and the military guys can join squads, but i feel like i'm missing something basic.  Will the entertainers work the tavern, the temple or both? Neither?  At first i thought a random name had been assigned to the suite of rooms attached to the tavern.  In one case a dancer joined "flowing boards" or something then a year later she declared herself "first orchid of flowing boards".
Curious. It sounds like the Flowing Boards is a religious sect. I don't recall Toady mentioning them as part of fortress mode, though.

EDIT: Two questions-1. Is this 43.03 and 2. might you upload the save?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:27:10 am by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:38:04 am »

I'm pretty sure they are petitioning to join your civilization, or if not that, your fortress. They're not asking to join the name of your fortress, though, they're asking to join the name of your local government, which is the group name you picked or was generated for you at embark.

At least, that's how I've figured it for citizenship requests.

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:29:02 pm »

This is the latest lazy newb pack and I am a few games past it already.  I just joined this site and had that question waiting.  If it happens again I'll save.  Thanks
Filthy Casual ftw

Urist McClown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:19:55 pm »

I guess they are joining your entity. Roughly speaking, the name of a fort doesn't change between reclaims, but the names of the entities inhabiting the forts do.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:24:06 pm »

No, it's the name of your temple! Try checking the names of all your locations (temple, tavern, whatever). Was it in dwarfish or something?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:33:31 am »

I figured it out.  They WERE using the name of my specific group but i had my notes mixed up from another embark that got immediate fun from a named alligator within seconds of unpausing.  Lately i have a page for each embark because i want to know which instruments i can make this time around.  Call me Urist and hang me from a fruit tree.  (the thing about becoming "First Orchid" was still cool though)
Filthy Casual ftw

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:32:52 am »

By the way, will mercenaries join you formally?
It seems they never make second petition...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 05:23:19 am »

By the way, will mercenaries join you formally?
It seems they never make second petition...
No-one's reported a 2nd petition so far. Looks like they won't ever be citizens. Retiring then unretirng might mix them up a bit though.
One of my mercs became Captain of the Guard for a neighbouring fortress while I was away (was still in my tavern when I came back though...).

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 10:28:11 am »

No I think there are a few threads on visitor militia petitions and I believe it is quite clear that they will never become/petition for full citizenship.  I have a few human militia and crossbowmen, for a few years now, very happy, and haven't petitioned for citizenship so I would say no.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 06:02:05 pm »

No I think there are a few threads on visitor militia petitions and I believe it is quite clear that they will never become/petition for full citizenship.  I have a few human militia and crossbowmen, for a few years now, very happy, and haven't petitioned for citizenship so I would say no.
Of course, the real question is, are they supposed to? The code apparently says monster hunters should petition to hunt in the caverns, and we all know how well that's working.