Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Several questions about animal men civs  (Read 2655 times)

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
Several questions about animal men civs
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:26:26 pm »

Is there any way to increase the amount of intelligent animal men civilizations? In adventure mode, I can see that about 3 civs develop during worldgen. Do these civs exist in fortress mode, or are they just random encounters in fortress mode? Any time an intelligent animal person visits me right now, they are a member of some performance troupe. Can they just come over of their own volition or do they only come in special groups?

Any help will be much appreciated.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Several questions about animal men civs
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 12:08:44 am »

They don't form civilizations of their own. They simply join existing ones sometimes if they happen to live nearby them. The three that you see in adventurer mode are the three civilizations that have already existing populations of animal men, and the intelligent wilderness creatures option generates new ones that join civs where they were previously nonexistant, but only if they exist in the wilderness near a civilization.

There's not much of a specific reason they're only showing up in performance troupes for you. It's probably just a coincidence. They are rather rare so it's not unlikely that all of the animal men in a certain world could end up as one type of visitor.

Also technically there are underground animal men civilizations, but those are only of a few specific types of animal men, and they're seriously underdeveloped. Toady's kind of just ignored them for like, 5 years now.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:14 am »

They don't form civilizations of their own. They simply join existing ones sometimes if they happen to live nearby them. The three that you see in adventurer mode are the three civilizations that have already existing populations of animal men, and the intelligent wilderness creatures option generates new ones that join civs where they were previously nonexistant, but only if they exist in the wilderness near a civilization.

There's not much of a specific reason they're only showing up in performance troupes for you. It's probably just a coincidence. They are rather rare so it's not unlikely that all of the animal men in a certain world could end up as one type of visitor.

Also technically there are underground animal men civilizations, but those are only of a few specific types of animal men, and they're seriously underdeveloped. Toady's kind of just ignored them for like, 5 years now.
So, no town made up entirely of spider girls? :( There goes that dream...

Thanks, you answered almost all of my questions! Now I only want to know if there is a way to increase the rate that they visit my tavern. I'm uncertain if increasing the amount generated would help this, because I don't know if they are pulled from the void or from actual animal men.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:46:01 am »

If the spider girls ate all the spider boys, the town would eventually run out of spider girls...

In theory you could get a town populated only a a single kind of civilized animal people, but it would be rather rare. It seems animal people mostly join elven civs, and they (the elven civs) tend to crumble easily unless either human and/or goblin civs are AWOL.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:35:39 am »

I think increased Savagery increases the number of animal men, but I don't know if it increases the number of animal men civilizations. If no one here can answer the question, try asking in the modding section.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:04:50 am »

Animal people only live in savage biomes, so increasing savagery will increase the chances of any one settlement being in a savage biome and improve the chance of animal people joining it.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 04:06:55 pm »

Its a pity that animal men up sticks to elven civilisations so readily now, rather than stay in the crude settlements they live in naturally and occasionally harass your fortress livestock by killing it (& anything else they can handle) before dragging it off the map to cash it in, or at-least that's how i remember it. Then again i can't recall encountering a animalmen settlement (a collection of huts with a announcement) from fortress mode recently in the last couple of versions even in a abandoned state, so unless its been turned off or im just very poor at finding them they might as well not exist.

Its impossible to detect them before they emigrate via worldgen (because they are a hidden embark feature that doesn't appear on the map), though you can get a feel for how many animalmen are joining the elves on account of the 'Regions' part of the legends screen informing you of their point of origin before they join the elven civilisation. (maybe ill use that to try and track down some evidence of them being there soon)

In some strange way i never really understood how that worked, if i suddenly race-swapped today or put up the raws relatively close to elves (it might be a hardcoded thing with how animalmen work or purely worldgen) would i just get legions of animalmen turning up at my door demanding residency or equipped in their own or elfish crude goods rushing in? (sounds like science potential)

Running any kind of elven tavern is pretty much 200% impractical without extensive modding so i dont think id even get the opportunity to find out without dedicating time. Prior to the tavern update i only ever settled once (maybe twice) on a animalmen site above ground, and it was certainly tense, because they saw you, and you saw them constantly edging closer then backing off like annoying neighbours behind your back trying to do the worst stuff without being caught early on.

The only animalmen i usually see nowadays are tavern visitors and completely naked ??? hamster and rat men vermin running in from time to time as a 'animal spawn'. I miss it honestly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:04:44 pm by FantasticDorf »