Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adv-Mode classes from Darkest Dungeon?  (Read 1257 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Adv-Mode classes from Darkest Dungeon?
« on: May 18, 2016, 11:52:09 am »

I recently had a look at Darkest Dungeon, a procedually generated dungeon-crawler thingy. It has 15 pretty well-thought out character classes, I thought it might be interesting to make the equivalent for DF adv-mode.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Heroes

Classes are those:
4.1 Abomination => transforms into monster, acid damage
4.2 Antiquarian => more loot, more xp
4.3 Arbalest => ranged crossbow, distraction
4.4 Bounty Hunter => bleeding damage and special damage against marked targets
4.5 Crusader => holy paladin type, healing
4.6 Grave Robber => poisons, darts, throwing knives
4.7 Hellion => heavy barbarian type
4.8 Highwayman => robber/thief type, invisibility, sneaking, crits
4.9 Hound Master => spawns animal companion, bleeding damage, tracking
4.10 Jester => aoe bard with sickle/bleeding damage
4.11 Leper => melee guy with heavy armor and big sword
4.12 Man-at-Arms => melee guy with medium armor and mace
4.13 Occultist => summons demons, spells
4.14 Plague Doctor => acids, poisons, healing
4.15 Vestal => damage undead, healing, good blunt weapons

Is there any interest for this? Does anyone want to help?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Adv-Mode classes from Darkest Dungeon?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:21:43 am »

While they could be good for inspiration, copying character classes into DF doesn't really work so well because of its flexible nature.  Anyone can use any weapon and take on any role, and anyone can learn any spells existing in the world.  Why ruin that by shoehorning cut and dry character classes into the game?

What would be more interesting is to create new races with special abilities, personalities, or extreme stats that encourage particular play styles.  But these should be made with DF's behavior in mind.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:25:44 am »

Why ruin that by shoehorning cut and dry character classes into the game?
Because people love crossovers?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:50:19 am »

Why ruin that by shoehorning cut and dry character classes into the game?
Because people love crossovers?

Hey, I've got nothing against crossovers, but this isn't putting DD elements into DF's world, this is putting rather generic classes into a game with a basic system that is superior to the class system.  It would be like modding creatures with HP into DF; not impossible, but why would you do it?

Moreover, many of these classes are defined by their weapon and armor types.  When anyone in DF can pick up any weapon, how would this even work?  You can already modify starting skillsets, so giving them natural skills would be redundant.

Also, whatever you play as in Adventure will show up living in the world and taking regular jobs.  This could be a bit immersion breaking...

I think it would be more interesting to make a set of races with natural abilities resembling these classes.  DF's races are pretty boring, being distinguished mainly by size.  This includes the hundred or so animal people, who are a little more different but not much.  How about a race with a natural projectile weapon?  Or one that can deal a lot of damage but is fragile?  Or one that is a natural vampire or shapeshifter?  These would be interesting to play as, and would fit into DF better than job-based castes, I think.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 04:53:53 am »

When anyone in DF can pick up any weapon, how would this even work?
Natural skill, skill learn rates, and maybe spawning starting equipment, which might even use item-trigger to give the wielder special interactions.

But I do get your point.

I've never played Adv-Mode, I just remembered that Deon made an "Thief/Mage/Fighter/Archer" mod some time for it, and thought that if classic RPG classes would be interesting, these ones would be too.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:58:38 am »

I can share my experience. I did try with classes in Adventure mode for a while, but it looked very... far-fetched/strained, to the point that I decided that it is just taking the options away from a person.

I did end up just giving some classes extra interactions, that's all.
I just don't feel like DD type classes are feasible in DF, because of such different nature of two games. In DD the class is a tool you use to build a team. The limitations are there for a reason: to combine different playstiles into a custom team playstyle.

In DF you control only one character, so you immediately lose the reason why classes in DD exist.

Also IndigoFenix is right. In DD the classes had specific equipment which set the theme. It would be weird to see a "paladin" in tattered rags fighting with a bow in DF.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:00:26 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:11:32 pm »

I did have an idea for wild fey that ambush adventurers in small parties of randomly-selected class-like castes.  Maybe some of these could be used as inspiration.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »

One of the earliest modifications I made to DF, was to make all the subterranean animal people playable as outsiders.
Like IndigoFenix brought up, even these Vanilla creatures function remarkably like the class systems of other games:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Easily the best fun I've ever had in DF was romping around the world as an improbably-successful bat-man adventurer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Infinitely more engaging and memorable than the elven skirmisher type I'd have defaulted to in any other RPG.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:46:05 pm by kiwiphoenix »