Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bronze Colossus  (Read 4272 times)

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bronze Colossus
« on: May 14, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »

So after a while since the last siege a bronze colossus decided to come over and say hi, luckly I managed to close the fort's entrance before it even got close but now I have another problem, killing this thing, this is the fist time I find one of those things so I have no experience in the subject. The only place where my dwarves can attack him without him ever attacking back is my archers tower, but that has very limited range and the few times my marksdwarves hit him the bolts just glanced of whatever body part they hit. I have zero ideas of how to kill this thing without also killing half of the fort, so any help/strategies you veterans can lend would be very much apreciated.
Thanks in advance.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Colossus
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 05:30:48 pm »

While I personally have never encountered a bronze colossus, they are affected by cage traps which seems like the easiest way to manage them to me

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »

I have encountered one before, I would try to wait for a merchant caravan to show up, and hope they brought some guards. That should soften him up. Then equip your military with hammers. Although cant you cage trap a collosus?

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:35:55 pm »

I would try the cage trap strategy but if I open the entrance of the fort to build some traps he's going to path in to it and !!FUN!! is going to happen.
I have encountered one before, I would try to wait for a merchant caravan to show up, and hope they brought some guards. That should soften him up. Then equip your military with hammers. Although cant you cage trap a collosus?
That sounds like a plan, but if the colossus slaughters the entire caravan won't that start a war with the civ from where this caravan originated ?

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »

I would try the cage trap strategy but if I open the entrance of the fort to build some traps he's going to path in to it and !!FUN!! is going to happen.
That sounds like a plan, but if the colossus slaughters the entire caravan won't that start a war with the civ from where this caravan originated ?

Only if it happens many times. One slaughter should be fine. Besides, if their army comes then you have a 40 foot tall bronze behemoth to protect you, or you have an army to kill your bronze colossus.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 07:28:54 pm »

Is there no way to reorganise just inside the entryway to prebuild the traps inside the entry (and a secondary airlock further within), then withdraw from your newly-trapped area, close the inner security-gate, open thenouter and then cycle the inner open to draw in your prey, closing the inner (just in case!) once he is committed to the route?

(Sounds complicated.  May be complicated, depending on what infrastructure you've placed directly inside your current gate, that migbt need dismantling, bypassing or left to the whims of the passing megabeast, yet to reach the traps themselves. I don't know your layout, so it's just a possible caveat.)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »

Post your for entrance if possible, it would help us with ideas.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 09:03:58 pm »

I think the easiest thing to do is probably cage traps just inside the entrance, let it path in and get trapped, then remove the cage traps immediately if you don't want them there.

When I've killed a bronze colossus in the past, I've used axedwarves. You need to have steel or better, and they need to be well trained, but I think steel should be able to do it. Though, I think that all of my bronze colossus encounters were in my exploit fort, so my dwarves were legendary and had masterwork candy everything, so...

Also, a bronze colossus sounds like great marksdwarf training: it'll take forever to kill, which means lots of bolts fired. You should cage it, find a safe way to pit it, and accelerate your markswarfing.

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 09:11:47 pm »

Is there no way to reorganise just inside the entryway to prebuild the traps inside the entry (and a secondary airlock further within), then withdraw from your newly-trapped area, close the inner security-gate, open thenouter and then cycle the inner open to draw in your prey, closing the inner (just in case!) once he is committed to the route?

(Sounds complicated.  May be complicated, depending on what infrastructure you've placed directly inside your current gate, that migbt need dismantling, bypassing or left to the whims of the passing megabeast, yet to reach the traps themselves. I don't know your layout, so it's just a possible caveat.)
Sounds realy complicated, but I get it and it may work, if its done correctly.
Post your for entrance if possible, it would help us with ideas.
Will do in just a moment, gotta finish up some other things first.
I think the easiest thing to do is probably cage traps just inside the entrance, let it path in and get trapped, then remove the cage traps immediately if you don't want them there.

When I've killed a bronze colossus in the past, I've used axedwarves. You need to have steel or better, and they need to be well trained, but I think steel should be able to do it. Though, I think that all of my bronze colossus encounters were in my exploit fort, so my dwarves were legendary and had masterwork candy everything, so...

Also, a bronze colossus sounds like great marksdwarf training: it'll take forever to kill, which means lots of bolts fired. You should cage it, find a safe way to pit it, and accelerate your markswarfing.
Sounds like a good use to a Bronze behemoth locked inside my fort.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 09:29:05 pm »

Why not also pit daring dwarves into the Pit to a battle to the death like a Gladiator! Surely you could throw some in for the entertainment.

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 09:46:04 pm »

Here is the entrance, ignore the roads and the 2 animals at the first bridge (I can't realy remember why the roads are there in the first place, the animals are more of a gobbo bait/distraction while my dorfs kill them).

My plan: 1º Removing the roads 2º New bridge where the red thing is 3º Cage traps where the brown things are 4º Open the first bridge and let the colossus in the traps (maybe removing the animals before) 5º ?? 6º Profit.
Sounds good enough ?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:15:14 pm »

http://imgur.com/NggBkyJ
http://imgur.com/dTo6imS
Fixed links. Normally I'd have suggested changing it to embed the images directly, but considering they're huge, maybe this is best.
Akur Akir Akam!

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 10:31:15 pm »

http://imgur.com/NggBkyJ
http://imgur.com/dTo6imS
Fixed links. Normally I'd have suggested changing it to embed the images directly, but considering they're huge, maybe this is best.
Thanks for that, I thought they were only broken for me.

EDIT: Just after posting the images of the entrance the human caravan came around, although only 2 of the guards showed up they put up quite of a figth, dealing good damage to it, but they eventualy were killed. Thinking back now the only reason they did so much damage was probably because one of then was a lasher with a silver whip.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:34:09 pm by Mister McNope »

Mister McNope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 11:17:01 pm »

So migrants. Yeah you can imagine how well that played out. But if you tought that they all were slowy slaughtered by the colossus you are wrong. There were 5 or 6 guys in that wave (my fort is almost at population cap) and one of then was a ranger with a quiver filled with steel bolts, turns out that a crippled colossus is very slow, and that steel bolts are good at fracturing bronze. Welp that's that. Whoever this is still less humiliating that being decapitated by a bunny trown at your face.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 02:29:29 am »

Dig a new entrance tunnel, have raising bridges at each end, cage traps at the outer end, a door just inside the airlock at the inner side (as combined building destroyer bait and means of slowing the monster to give you time to raise the bridges) and breach through to the surface when everything is built. You should have multiple entrances anyway...
If you think cage traps are too wimpy you can skip those and just lock it up inside the airlock. You can then let it out to take care of sieges for you, or you can engineer a cave-in on top of the complete tunnel to kill it.
Pages: [1] 2