Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I delete this?  (Read 1017 times)

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I delete this?
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:50 pm »

Completely missed the questions thread for some reason.

When I figure out how to delete this posting, I will.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:42:12 pm by granak1031 »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I delete this?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:22:19 am »

There no delete, but there's a "Move Topic" button tucked down right in the bottom left of the page, if you happen to get it in the wrong board. Just make sure to uncheck "Post a redirection topic" when you use it, otherwise it leaves more junk around.

I should really suggest that Toady make a board called "The Bin" where we can move topics that we want to be deleted ...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:37:10 am »

I should really suggest that Toady make a board called "The Bin" where we can move topics that we want to be deleted ...
PM Toady about it :) It's how many things requested to him get talked about...as far as I know anyway.
You could also PM Toady to delete this thread (Original Poster should do it though).

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:39:32 am »

There no delete, but there's a "Move Topic" button tucked down right in the bottom left of the page, if you happen to get it in the wrong board. Just make sure to uncheck "Post a redirection topic" when you use it, otherwise it leaves more junk around.

Yup, I moved it here, from the DF Modding board. Happy to know I made the right choice in unchecking the redirection topic.

I agree! It would certainly help people reduce clutter in the forums. We've got untouched topics from 2008 (and earlier?) on some of the boards.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:43:33 am »

#delete tHIS

No, actually, that's not clutter, that's a living record of our existences on these fair boards. There's no real topic or post deletion. It all eventually falls to the bottom to be perused by archivists, so don't sweat it!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:47:43 am »

PM Toady about it :) It's how many things requested to him get talked about...as far as I know anyway.
You could also PM Toady to delete this thread (Original Poster should do it though).

Funny thing is, I think the post has gained meaning by our discussion. Many people may not realize there's no way to delete a post.

Unless there's already a post covering that, in which case it's redundant.

The "Bin" board idea would create a more practical long-term solution for deleting posts though. Instead of people PMing him all the time to delete posts, he could just set up a script to delete all posts moved to "The Bin", perhaps once daily so people can save posts accidentally moved there?

#delete tHIS

No, actually, that's not clutter, that's a living record of our existences on these fair boards. There's no real topic or post deletion. It all eventually falls to the bottom to be perused by archivists, so don't sweat it!

In many cases, yes.

It would just be nice to be able to reduce redundancies if the poster of the topic chooses to.

Or another idea would be for "The Bin" to not delete posts, only to be used as a sort of archive?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:31:35 am »

grisha5
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 07:34:42 am »

Funny thing is, I think the post has gained meaning by our discussion. Many people may not realize there's no way to delete a post.

Unless there's already a post covering that, in which case it's redundant.

I see another one of these every few months or so.

Yup, I moved it here, from the DF Modding board. Happy to know I made the right choice in unchecking the redirection topic.
You should have moved it to DF Community. Then we could turn it into a succession game in 3 years or so.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:37:27 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.