Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56534 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization VI
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2016, 02:59:41 pm »

And the award for lyrical dissonance goes to...

Anyway, just got into my first actual war with the above after the patch, and I can confirm that the AI still doesn't know how to fight. They declared on me, and they had a much stronger army than mine (I am a micronation, one city challenge) but they just shuffled their huge numbers of gun artillery, tank corps, and infantry corps around on their heavily forested side of our shared border for my aviation and basically undefended rocket artillery to take potshots at from the extensively cultivated plains on my side of the border.

This was on King difficulty.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:01:50 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #331 on: November 20, 2016, 03:35:35 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 20, 2016, 04:23:03 pm »

The difficulty is sort of irrelevant here. I think it's far more interesting for the AI to always be at its peak intelligence, and simply get bonuses or handicaps based on the difficulty. And this is actually how Civ works, so...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 20, 2016, 05:44:40 pm »

Oh but the patch changes to all the UI and balance stuff is great though.

I really think this is the best civ they've made yet, even considering the AI.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 20, 2016, 06:00:30 pm »

The difficulty is sort of irrelevant here. I think it's far more interesting for the AI to always be at its peak intelligence, and simply get bonuses or handicaps based on the difficulty. And this is actually how Civ works, so...
Well, arguably, it's at the bottom of its intelligence and getting bonuses only...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #335 on: November 20, 2016, 06:04:28 pm »

Well, arguably, it's at the bottom of its intelligence and getting bonuses only...
What intelligence? It's only bonuses...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 21, 2016, 01:56:40 am »

Yeah, when you compare the AI of Civ6 and the AI of a modded Civ5, it's sad to lose that much...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 21, 2016, 08:45:46 am »

Yeah, when you compare the AI of Civ6 and the AI of a modded Civ5, it's sad to lose that much...
Given what I've heard about Civ5 AI, this sounds kind of ridiculous. And, well, how could it be worse? Aren't combat mechanics basically the same in both of those?
._.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 21, 2016, 08:53:34 am »

The modded Civ5 AI was built for Civ5 specifically over a period of years after the main game's launch.

Civ6 is a different game built on a different engine, and it really can't be expected that the aforementioned AI work were somehow transplanted.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 21, 2016, 09:11:24 am »

I think it is more accurate to say they just don't care about having a competent AI from the getgo and are doing what all the cool companies are doing: Having unfinished or shoddy work... then patching it later.

Afterall why make a good AI when they will have to take player data to make a better AI later? cut out the middleman.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2016, 12:35:09 pm »

Heh, Gilgamesh is funny to play.  Started a game with my roommate last night and started in a tundra as Egypt.  Roommate agreed to restart as a tundra start kinda puts you behind in multiplayer.

Started game again, started in half-tundra zone at the south pole and one away from a river.  But I'm Gilgamesh so WHO CARES.  Start spamming war carts and sending them west. 

Hojo: "Hello, nice to mee."

Gilgmamesh: "WAR CARTS MOFO!"

So now I've got most of the south pole(as crappy as it is) and three cities. 

Roosevelt:  "Would you like some apple pi..."

Gilgmamesh:  "WAR CARTS WOOP WOOP".

:P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2016, 02:09:49 pm »

I think it is more accurate to say they just don't care about having a competent AI from the getgo and are doing what all the cool companies are doing: Having unfinished or shoddy work... then patching it later.

Afterall why make a good AI when they will have to take player data to make a better AI later? cut out the middleman.

It's most accurate to say producing a competitive AI superior to anything on the market from the get-go would require a disproportionate amount of resources and involve cutting important parts from the game, while ultimately proving not profitable enough to justify all the effort.

It's just pure business. The majority doesn't care enough about having a cutting-edge AI to the point they wouldn't mind seeing other features diminished. It's not a justifiable cost, especially since it's something the fanbase can largely tolerate being fixed over months through patches and user mods.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 22, 2017, 05:17:57 pm »

Australia is coming! Yay!

Looks like we'll be a coastal civ with housing plusses and some food/production bonuses from our Outback Stations. The "more production in a defensive war" thing is interesting, but it depends on how big the bonus is. You really want your production amped up before a war, not just during it. It kind of stops war from happening to you in the first place (or at least makes you the aggressor), but knowing that you get the bonus might put you way down the list of easy targets for others in multiplayer games. Which lets you concentrate on production/science/stealing tiles in the meantime until you're ready to be the aggressor.

I wonder if you could cheese the bonus in team games by having your ally declare war on you ASAP, them never actually attacking you, and this giving you a 5000 year long production bonus for an on-paper war? Or repeatedly doing it if it's a once-off per war bonus? It depends if it's about as big as trade would give you (except it's definitely stated as production, which is a very good yield to have, and it's "free"). It might even work against the AI by neutering the first one to declare war on you (there's always one eventually) and surrounding their last city, never accepting peace from them to keep the war going indefinitely, and using the bonus to go and conquer other civs aggressively. Kind of like pseudo-false flagging yourself and N.Korea'ing them for eternal production bonuses (unless it's a once-off). Empire of the Emu indeed, only your government type can force you to lose your sweet, sweet war production bonus.

I don't know. Coastal tends to be a pretty bad place to start, a food/production unique building isn't necessarily as good as just production (your pasture placements are already decided by then), the Digger unit replacing Infantry comes in pretty late, and the "scenic tiles" bonus randomizes your starts from bad->good->irrelevant on an already dicey starting bias. Culture bombing new tiles might be handy to boost mid/late game cities quickly, but again, it's a fairly late bonus and placements/power may be decided by fighting by then, not by a few extra resources and pop here or there. It should let you get more inland tiles, but you still want to start (new cities?) on the coast for the free housing (or do you?). Could be fun to annoy peaceful neighbours with though. East Timor's oil? It does represent Aussie cities well (we've got big cities land-area-wise that get their resources from miles away), plus, it lets us steal stuff from other civs in a uniquely Australian way.

It's all very well done to represent Australia as a nation in Civ, but I'm just not sure if it's very powerful. They might be able to keep rolling in a war from city liberation production bonuses/Digger outside-of-territory bonuses and being able to use almost any spot well due to scenic bonuses and land theft. Or they might not. It all seems a bit random, but you might get some positively awesome starts on some map types. We'll have to see the actual stats and effects to be sure. If it averages out to about +2-4 scenic yield or more for each city (for free), and a good "don't fight me" production bonus, they might be an absolute powerhouse early and mid game as well having a good late game tail. Not much different from a free land improvement or two worth of adjacency bonus per city for districts you'll usually have 1-2 of anyway (like everyone else with unique districts/yield/adjacency bonuses, but you get to choose your yield type bonus with district-type placement and "scenery", which is probably un-improved tiles), whatever the "city liberation" production bonus is (hearts and minds win wars, but is that just taking your own city back, or taking any city?), and not being an easy target for an attack if it'll be a protracted war anyway (we don't attack first, but we damn well win "our bit" in a war. We just don't know which bit that bit is in Civ 6 as yet) which could all make Australia very powerful and versatile. Or it could be random as hell, while also being vulnerable to seaborne attacks, while also always being on the defensive. We'll see.

Here's the nation release trailer:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=11HVt8f0X-I

And Drew Durnil's leader breakdown vid:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UK64zsJyLCI

((kinda surprised America didn't get the defensive war production bonus really. Or even Stalinist Russia. It still makes sense for Australia (we completely changed our economy in WWII in so many ways), but "don't wake the sleeping giant" and all that for the US/USSR......))

((on "scenic" yield for districts, I'm guessing that it's +1 for "gungy tiles" (ie: jungles etc that have to be improved to give a decent yield), +1 (or 2'ish) for mountains/hard-to-improve tiles, and +1-2 extra for natural wonder tiles. Might be resource dependant too. Coastal water tiles might be auto +1 or "gungy" by default. Could be very wrong on that. Could just be culture/tourism->stat yield too. I really should learn more about Civ 6. Still sounds like a cheap way of slapping down districts anywhere, especially with cultural creep from Outback Stations, and getting something out of them even if you weren't planning on using production for workers))

((depending on just what the "scenic" yields are, Australia might actually be ok on religion. Got some useless yet scenic tiles surrounding a "proper" tile without useful yields available yet? Slap down a religious district. Get a pantheon due to scenic adjacency bonuses fairly quickly. Choose something that gives you even more +faith from those scenic tiles. Just kinda mook your way into establishing a religion from there after a prophet/actual building effort. Aussie Aussie Aussie! Yahweh, Buddha, Jesus! Religion is kinda weak, but it's an early run first-in-first-served thing. You can use "whatever's scenic" for the bonus to go there early or slightly later, keep it going for very little production input regardless of pantheon or terrain, and it can give you a mid-game push if you're getting free yields out of it. Although, this does go for any non-production district too, so you'll be doing it with a commercial or research district first most of the time. F'ing money-lenders and brainiacs......
Depending on just how big the "liberating cities" production bonus is and what cities it applies to, this could really do "stuff" sometimes. Take an enemy city, slap down the rest of the religious district's production cost with cash after applying the free production to it, use your faith pool to teleport units in from God's domain. Repeat with drunken faith))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:38:26 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 23, 2017, 01:56:16 am »

From what I read, here is the production bonus in war :
Prod x2 in the 2 following circumstances :
 - during the first 10 turns of a defensive war.
 - during 20 turns after "liberating a city" (I think this only when you give a CS its independence after another civ captures it).

Also, part of the "coastal bonus" (the bonus yields for high appeal in some districts) affect also non-coastal tiles, mainly those near mountains (bonus appeal), lakes, rivers, woods, ...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 23, 2017, 02:17:38 am »

That still sounds pretty cheese'able in multiplayer. +100% production for 10 turns sounds amazing, even if it is only a once-off. Like, actually only once per game, not per age (damn good) or per war declaration (ie: that'd be amazing, and it sort of sounds like it's once-per-enemy-war-declaration-against-you, which is broken as fuck). It's still pretty good as a 1-time-only bonus. Not even in an allied game to cheese it fully, just as a strategic message to someone near you. Aussie assassin production boost, looking for work.

"C'mon. Who don't you like? I'll kill 'em for you. Come at me bro! I'mma gonna go super saiyan!"

Golden age, golden hair. Whatever. You'll be smashing out 2x production for a bit. That scales amazingly, early or late. Hell, it could even be an extra 20 turns of production from one of your "training partner's" city-states if necessary too. You could even ask for stuff to bother doing it for them.

That sounds really good. Kio-what?

It also makes Aussies some of the best (even temporary) allies you could have. Whenever it's really necessary, you can trigger their "next transformation" for war and production, and they know that. Or you can stooge them until you really want it to happen or they agree to do exactly what you want with it. You can promise not to do it (if it's a one-time thing) until they're ready. They're not entirely terrain/improvement dependant, they probably don't need the transformation until they want it done (or can cold-war pressure you to pull the trigger first if you're not nice), but getting you to do it for them when "they want" is still a bargaining chip in the "friendship". It might almost have a price tag attached to it. Or a dagger in the back the moment their forces are gone somewhere else. But you can't really complain if the declaration of war gets taken seriously either. They might just ram ten extra turns worth of production down your throat if it doesn't seem like a friendly deal to them, in their best interests. F'ing Aussies.

I do like it because it's a huge bargaining chip. They can ask you for stuff, or you can ask them for stuff. Then stuff happens. And Australia's kind of huge and good at stuff like that. I just hope the players that play the nation are.

((if this is actually per-enemy-war-declaration, Australia's going to be banned from multiplayer. 10 extra turns of production as a once-off bonus is nice. Even once per age is "balanced". 20 extra turns of production every 30-50 turns or so is insane))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:26:53 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26