Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gremlin trap ideas, feedback wanted  (Read 4171 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Gremlin trap ideas, feedback wanted
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »

My caverns are sealed off, but I think soon I'd like to breach them and take over a small section I know I can control, walling it off at a few strategic points. But first, I want to design a few traps.

I know about the artifact awe trap for GCS (I want to trap one) and forgotten beasts, but gremlins are another matter. I hate those guys. This is the trap I'm thinking of for gremlins:

Code: [Select]
z+1     z
#####  #####
#¢.¢#  #ò#ò#
#...#  #+#+#
.....  .....
#####  #####
The hatch covers on z+1 are linked to the levers below, and heavy minecarts (I'm thinking gold) will be placed on them. The doors can be locked or unlocked; I doubt it matters. My questions for this setup:

1) Will this drop the minecarts quick enough to kill or maim the gremlin, or is something needed to trap them so they don't immediately walk out the door?
2) If so, would it drop them quick enough from a higher Z level, and if so how much higher?

I chose something with hatch covers because it'd be instant. Magma was another choice for this, although it would require a little more design work.

I'm sure others have had more experience with trapavoid creatures. Are there any particular designs recommended for trapavoids, either to capture or kill?

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin trap ideas, feedback wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:59:36 pm »

While this design does try to use Gremlins' own penchant for pulling levers against them, I doubt a falling minecart would fall quick enough to hit it.

If you wish to kill a gremlin, I would put a lever in the middle of a long tunnel leading into your fort and have it activate a minecart grinder.  Gremlin goes down the tunnel, pulls the lever, and continues on into the fort.  A minecart is released to propel forward either via powered roller or impulse ramps.  The tunnel the gremlin went down is engraved (or built) with tracks, and a side passage returns the minecart to a stop where it may be reset.  Gremlins are small enough I doubt more than one impact would be needed, though the real question is if the minecart would hit it when stealthed (most likely yes)

If you wish to capture it, to either train or kill at a later time, a simple cage trap with emitted webbing on it will work.  Naturally occurring webbing, should it 'spawn' on a cage trap, will not cause the trap to trigger in my experience.

While you have the caverns open, your working dwarves and any guard animals you place should spot any incoming gremlin, who will turn tail and run as soon as they are seen.  Should you with to leave the Cavern open yet keep up a guard against gremlins, I would place a guardhouse right at the entrance to the caverns; 1x1 rooms above the tunnel, floor channeled out and replaced by grates, sealed by doors, with your animal of choice locked within.  I have had great success with this design to spot were creatures on the surface before they enter the fort.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 04:53:02 pm »

While this design does try to use Gremlins' own penchant for pulling levers against them, I doubt a falling minecart would fall quick enough to hit it.

Shame. I really liked the anviliciousness of that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »

Shame. I really liked the anviliciousness of that.

Well then, Maybe you could dump a pile of anvils on them. Quantum stockpile a fat pile of iron anvils onto a retracting bridge way above the lever, make the lever dump the anvils on whoever pulls the lever. Probably also works for nobles.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:54:26 pm »

Can you have the lever activate a mine cart shotgun that launches a bunch of spiked balls at it? How many anvils will fit in a minecart?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:56:38 pm by Killgoth »

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:22:00 pm »

Can you have the lever activate a mine cart shotgun that launches a bunch of spiked balls at it? How many anvils will fit in a minecart?
50 anvils will fit in a minecart

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 02:04:31 pm »

50 anvils will fit in a minecart

I want to put forward that 50 anvils is absolutely a superior option to spiked balls, for reasons that have nothing to do with actual lethality.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »

Use a support to drop a small section of rock in such a way that the gremlin will be put in a cage trap. tame the gremlin, and force him to haul for his attempted crimes. ;D
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 04:26:08 pm »

Use a support to drop a small section of rock in such a way that the gremlin will be put in a cage trap. tame the gremlin, and force him to haul for his attempted crimes. ;D

I have no interest in taming gremlins; I don't want one as a mayor. I want to murderfy any that show up.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »

I love this idea so much I made MsPaint art for it.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 04:15:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I support these endeavors, and this picture.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »

But why anvils and not serrated blades? Certainly much more deadly, right?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 04:31:11 pm »

Anvils are much more dwarfy

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 09:23:34 am »

Anvils are much more dwarfy
no offense, but serrated blades are forged weapons that slice their opponents' bloody limbs off in a trap. dwarves are forgers, and architects of traps. therefore a serrated blade is much more dwarfy.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 10:49:44 am »

Gentlemen, unless there is alcohol involved let us not argue about what constitutes dwarfiness. The original poster wanted a method for killing with anvils.
Pages: [1] 2