Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some findings about scholarship and library  (Read 1997 times)

lunario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some findings about scholarship and library
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:33:54 am »

Recently I started a fortress at the year of 5. So there's basically no library and knowledge discovered by the starting time.
I'm trying to understand how the title of scholarship is working and how the knowledge is discovered.

I set up 8 seperated libraries with 1 scholar and 1 scribe in each of them.
After 8 years(yes it took such a LONG time), one of my scholar discovered "Why is the wedge effective", and he turned into an engineer.
Another 2 years later, another one discovered a knowledge of diagnosing, and he turned into a doctor.

Some of my dwarfs read the books they wrote, and when I assigned them to be scholar, they'll become engineer or doctor immediately.
And if the dwarf knows both knowledge, he'll still be a scholar.

So I believe now that the title is basically judged by what knowledge the dwarf knows(at least for engineers and doctors)
But I'm still not sure if other title like "Historian" is determined by this since none of my scholars is pondering this(maybe because of the short history:)).

About the knowledge/topics, it seems the discovery of it is pure odds/luck and time consuming, I'm not quite sure if the odds depend on the skill level of the scholar. Both of the knowledge is discovered by scholar with only adequate on mechanic and diagnose and I've got a skilled critical thinker discovered nothing.

Anyone knows about how the title is determined and how the knowledge/topics discovery mechanism?

And apparently an engineer will still write novels without a topic(which I have MANY) :-[

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some findings about scholarship and library
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:06:47 am »

I don't have an answer for this post... This info makes me think, I hope in future versions that dwarfs will be able to discover skills and facts and develop theories while working in workshops, and then write them down.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:08:51 am by PopTart »

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 02:59:18 pm »

The wiki's scholar page has a decent bit on how titles for scholar work, if you want to spoil yourself.

lunario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 10:45:53 am »

The wiki's scholar page has a decent bit on how titles for scholar work, if you want to spoil yourself.

Actually that's what confused me.
On the Wiki page it says: Engineer - High Levels of Optics or Fluid Engineering, can be coupled with Mechanic or Pump Operator.
However I've got two engineer with absalutely no skill level on any of the above skills but dabbling critical thinker.

So I thought the profession might be determined by other things.
The engineer turned back to scholar event backs my theory but I'm not sure if it works on other professions.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 05:51:50 pm »

The title might be based on what kind of topics are being theorized. Dwarves with backgrounds in engineering probably have a higher chance for that kind of scholarship and thus they usually become engineers. But if for some reason you have a mechanic who really likes the natural world and you already have novels written on this topic he might do that instead, and thus be labled a naturalist (or whatever). This doesn't happen, what your dwarves "research" is a die roll so said dwarf will think of both natural world things and engineering, thus granting him the title of scholar (much how if a bee keeper can become a farmer if they have enough of other farming skills that are near their beekeeping skill level).

Brunhidden

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Baruk Khazâd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:11:22 pm »

i know that dwarves with a skill in certain educational disciplines are more likely to produce books in that field, but i had wondered for a while that if, say, a scholar writes a book on diagnosis or veins or bones if dwarves who read it gain any experience in a medical skill

plans on !!science!! ?

lunario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:29:18 pm »

i know that dwarves with a skill in certain educational disciplines are more likely to produce books in that field, but i had wondered for a while that if, say, a scholar writes a book on diagnosis or veins or bones if dwarves who read it gain any experience in a medical skill

plans on !!science!! ?

Based on my current !!science!!, my dwarves read about books about WHY WEDGE IS EFFECTIVE didn't gain any expierence on mechanic.
Some expierence gain on reading though.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:39:50 am »

If I don't pretrain my scholars, they always wind up as historians. They'll discover source reliability and write books about their earlier books about migrating to the colony/its founding.

Or, if I let my embark-doctor beva scholar, everyone that follows will pretty much be a medical researcher.

Basically, as you add fresh scholars, they get into discussions with the existing one(s) who control the topic... So your curious cheesemongers just copy the discipline of their seniors.

If you want to train more in a specific discipline, it's best to make a new library with just them. Otherwise, you'll get 20 historians, 15 doctors, and the odd fluid engineer or chemist from related skill experience.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 03:45:08 pm »

If you want to train more in a specific discipline, it's best to make a new library with just them. Otherwise, you'll get 20 historians, 15 doctors, and the odd fluid engineer or chemist from related skill experience.

Given the actual history of what we think of as the "university system", I'm not sure that's really a problem.  We do need more of a focus on dwarven law at some point; but that will probably come with a rewritten legal / ethics system in the future.