Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strangest Reclaim?  (Read 2829 times)

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strangest Reclaim?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 08:03:14 pm »

Ehhh, this fort I am working through seems to be pretty straight forward. It's got this horrifically inefficient ramp stairway thing going down to the first cavern, and then all the bedrooms and the zillions of smelterys and forges are all stacked in some kind of strange pancake stack setup off the to the side. However, its pretty much just 2 main paths, one to the surface and one through the pancake stack, although I might feel that way because a cave ogre got in before I sent troops down, and cleared out like 90% of the doors.

Also, after reaching magma, I can confirm there is 0 pitchblende at this site. How the dorfs got enough to make this massive yellow cake structure on the surface is beyond me. The generator doesn't seem to be concerned with the actual resources in the area at all.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 10:19:25 am »

Ehhh, this fort I am working through seems to be pretty straight forward. It's got this horrifically inefficient ramp stairway thing going down to the first cavern
Is it an open or closed ramp?  On open ones, I like to just dump all the stuff straight down the center to the habitable levels rather than carry it.

Of course, on the open ones, I usually lose two animals and a dwarf to utter vertigo before everything gets dumped inside anyway.

Two important things that don't come with pregenned forts are a) wells, and b) farms.  Getting these means breaching the caverns early and probable death by giant bat, but you can try pumping water down the shaft to make farms rather than farming the caverns themselves.  Everyone you embark with should have some levels in Dodging.

Also, the design of the pregenerated forges doesn't make sense any more, now that lava slowly rises.  Get the anvils and get out before they get flooded.

They probably get the pitchblende the same way I do, buying a zillion on embark so I can have purple shops all over :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:25:00 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:05:21 am »

@Corona688: What do you mean by "Also, the design of the pregenerated forges doesn't make sense any more, now that lava slowly rises."?
The only cases I know of with raining magma are the ones where the magma sea is breached inside of a magma pipe pre embark tile (i.e. 48*48 normal tiles).
Unless you pressurize magma yourself it shouldn't rise, but it's possible magma forges might be located within a magma pipe tile and thus have magma forming above their open tile, leading to flooding.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 11:45:39 am »

@Corona688: What do you mean by "Also, the design of the pregenerated forges doesn't make sense any more, now that lava slowly rises."?
The only cases I know of with raining magma are the ones where the magma sea is breached inside of a magma pipe pre embark tile (i.e. 48*48 normal tiles).
Unless you pressurize magma yourself it shouldn't rise, but it's possible magma forges might be located within a magma pipe tile and thus have magma forming above their open tile, leading to flooding.

Huh...

Now that you mention it, they DID hit a magma pipe.  They built right smack down through the middle of it.

The more you know.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »

Yeah, Toady's fortress-generating code is absolutely bonkers.  It creates fortresses no sane person would ever lay out, and makes the walls entirely out of a single random material, even if it should logically be rare (like, say, entirely made of pitchblende or gold).

Yeah, the fortresses are very bonkers, I asked in the fotf reply last month if hes planning to make them more sensible eventually he said that they will make some tweaks to it. It will still probably be completely idiotic though.

Keeps in towns can be made of pure gold aswell.Its cool at first but eventually its just annoying.

The material keeps are both cool and a way to make random building commit to memory.
Pages: 1 [2]