Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strangest Reclaim?  (Read 2831 times)

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strangest Reclaim?
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »

So, I just reclaimed a generated fortress. I haven't even gone down the stairs yet and I am already somewhat shocked. The surface level appears to be a 40x40x4 box, with walls and floors made of pitchblende blocks. There are 2 internal floors, the first one is floored over with pitchblende blocks. The second floor is floored with yellow sand. It has a 7x7 cube in the middle of the first floor filled with yellow sand. Overall, it appears to be an enormous yellow cake with pitchblende walls.

I think the Roc that initially forced them to abandon this fort may have saved the entire world.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strangest Reclaim?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:06:26 am »

Screenshots? I'm having trouble visualising this...
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:34:15 pm »

To this day I still regret permaflooding the one I reclaimed which was made of solid gold...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:27:13 pm »

Yeah, Toady's fortress-generating code is absolutely bonkers.  It creates fortresses no sane person would ever lay out, and makes the walls entirely out of a single random material, even if it should logically be rare (like, say, entirely made of pitchblende or gold).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 06:59:34 pm »

Yeah, Toady's fortress-generating code is absolutely bonkers.  It creates fortresses no sane person would ever lay out, and makes the walls entirely out of a single random material, even if it should logically be rare (like, say, entirely made of pitchblende or gold).

You're saying building giant spacious fortresses out of one material is crazy?

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:40:05 pm »

A floor was built out of yellow sand. That isn't something that is possible, as far as I am aware. Unless someone knows of a way to lever-jack up sand tiles?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:59:06 pm »

Yeah, the fortresses are very bonkers, I asked in the fotf reply last month if hes planning to make them more sensible eventually he said that they will make some tweaks to it. It will still probably be completely idiotic though.

Keeps in towns can be made of pure gold aswell.Its cool at first but eventually its just annoying.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:37:44 pm »

This wasn't in Fortress Mode, but I once encountered a dark pit made out of ice. Naturally, I had fun melting the walls with campfires, before I was promptly frozen to death.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:02 pm »

A floor was built out of yellow sand. That isn't something that is possible, as far as I am aware. Unless someone knows of a way to lever-jack up sand tiles?
Oh, all pregenned dwarf fortresses are like that, roofed by sand or peat or the like, like they were carved out of the landscape rather than built up over it.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:01 am »

when i reclaim a fortress, i never get the chanceto reclaim the ruin of a mountainhall, only ever 3x3 fortresses.
also the game always crashed before i ever could go deep enough to tell if there's more beneath the few levels of 2x2 rooms and the 2 levels of workshops (smelters/smiths).
can someone tell?
also, i usually get the info of a brook or stream on that "embark" but i only once found one.
in all other cases, the brook was underground in the first layer of caverns.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:07 am »

The normal way to get sand tiles is to start at ground level and dig everything else away. The complicated way is to cast obsidian and shear it away. The resulting floor will be of whatever material that level is made of "naturally", which typically is soil of some kind (like sand) up in the air.

when i reclaim a fortress, i never get the chanceto reclaim the ruin of a mountainhall, only ever 3x3 fortresses.
also the game always crashed before i ever could go deep enough to tell if there's more beneath the few levels of 2x2 rooms and the 2 levels of workshops (smelters/smiths).
can someone tell?
also, i usually get the info of a brook or stream on that "embark" but i only once found one.
.the embark screen shows the stream/brook/volcano/... in that world level tile and isn't showing what's in the particular sub section of that tile your embark area covers at the momenT .a brook in the caverns is nothing I've ever encountered, nor have I encountered streamS .cavern lakes, yes, but never a brook/streaM

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 12:54:31 pm »

The normal way to get sand tiles is to start at ground level and dig everything else away. The complicated way is to cast obsidian and shear it away. The resulting floor will be of whatever material that level is made of "naturally", which typically is soil of some kind (like sand) up in the air.

Please elaborate. How does one shear obsidian?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 02:32:03 pm »

You shear obsidian by channeling it. Thus, cast a a single tile layer of obsidian, and then channel down to remove it. The floor has now been converted. I've tried that on top of my courtyard roof (level with the ground, as the courtyard was recessed) in 0.40.24, and ended up with soil of the same type as the surroundings (complete with "contaminant" stone as the normal ground, which was, unfortunately, obsidian. I suspect these contaminants were located at the same place as ones were originally, but have no facts to back it up). This soil supported grass and very sparse herbs, but no saplings (no soil underneath, of course). I also shore off an obsidian layer on top of another obsidian layer (to get one level above ground). That yielded soil of the same type, without any "contaminants". This soil supported grass, but nothing else (the same as if you channel down one level into the soil in a lifeless desert. You'll get grass, but herbs or trees. Great for grazing, though).
I also shore off a single tile obsidian tile cast on conglomerate, and did get conglomerate rather than soil as the floor (this was in the ocean biome of the embark).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 03:27:36 pm »

You're saying building giant spacious fortresses out of one material is crazy?

The problem isn't so much spaciousness or even the one material part, as it is the fact that it becomes basically impossible to navigate, as anyone who started in a fortress as a dwarf adventurer can tell you.  (You'll starve before you find the path to the surface...)

As much as I prefer decentralized stairwells to central stairwells, central stairwells at least do make a logical sense that makes it easy to path through, especially without seeing the whole map.  Toady's new maps basically involve making a giant wormy, twisty hallway that randomly has up or down stairs that only go up one or two floors before winding around, and demanding the player explore more of them.  Add to this the difficulty of different sections of the same floor not connecting to one another, and multiple up/down stairs on the same floors, and you have a 3d labyrinth where an upstair is just a dead-end, and you have to go back down, then over, then back up a different stair to find a valid path to where you are going, and you start to see the problem in a maze where the only features are the repeating doors to empty 2x2 rooms.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 05:25:39 pm »

can someone tell?
You can't reclaim mountainhalls because they're exclusively underground. Fortresses are the ones that have an aboveground entrance, and a large underground portion. If you were to reclaim a mountainhall it'd take a lot of exploratory digging. They're normally not very big either.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
Pages: [1] 2