Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dying light: worth it?  (Read 1428 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Dying light: worth it?
« on: April 30, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »

So this game drew my eye and its at a 33% discount, which isnt very much tbh. How good is this exactly?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dying light: worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »

I play it co-op with a friend and I enjoy the game quite a bit. It has one of the best parkour systems in any game I've ever played. If it looks like you can climb it then you can probably climb it!

It's made by the team who created Dead Island, and the combat and crafting has a lot in common with those games. Killing zombies with an array of different cobbled together weapons is always fun.

The story isn't terribly interesting or engaging and is often predictable, but the gameplay is fun enough that I don't really care.

There's a free demo on steam, so if you're on the fence it might be worth trying that out first.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:02:34 pm »

I did enjoy Dead Island enough to play through it once. I had looked at Dying Light and tried the demo sometime last year. I think I found the first person melee a bit confusing. Areas can be cramped with quite a bit of verticality since zombies can climb over fences and up walls to get to you so I found I was getting jumped from all sides often. I think you're meant to sneak about a fair bit, especially with some of the special zombie types.

The demo is a good place to try though, it gives you an hour of free roam.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »

YES!  Out of nowhere, a European dev did an open-world parkour game better than years worth of Assassin's Creed.  Also a great co-op game.  (I've heard good things about the expansion, but the other DLC I didn't find worthwhile.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 01:11:13 am »

It's just a conglomerate of stuff that was in other video games that came out at the same time.
Shoes...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:43:42 am »

It's just a conglomerate of stuff that was in other video games that came out at the same time.

This, but a +1 to 'worth it' because it is substantially better than Dead Island.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 01:51:45 am »

GOG is selling the complete thing for 33% off still.....hnggggggg. Kinda want, I loved Dead Island but always thought it coulda been better. This seems to fit the bill. Just a question, will it matter for online play whether its through steam or not? I suppose not, but if i purchase and run it through GoG i just want to be sure I can play with my friends who have it on steam.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:06 am »

As someone who dislikes zombie games and stuff for like a decade now, I enjoyed playing it and would recommend it for anyone who likes FPS and parkour-y things.
I just thought singleplayer got a bit repetitive, but on co-op it must be awesome.

I also played near release so it performed pretty poorly and I bumped into some glitches, but I bet it must be all fixed up now.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 02:31:31 pm »

A small warning to anyone who bought the the GoG version like I did, we are unable to play online with Steam users. We can play through LAN, but not regular online play.

Also, i've been getting a runtime error issue, R6025 -pure virtual function call, when I'm starting the game. It pops up and freezes the game, but then it unfreezes and if I alt-tab into the game it runs fine. As long as I don't interact with that popup the game works, making be believe its only an issue at startup.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:57:03 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.